WAMC 2028 Traditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r600624

Reaction score
I feel like I’m a very run of the mill applicant and would love to know what I could add to help my application.

My current GPA is a 3.55 and I’m nervous that it’ll stay right about here or maybe move up to a 3.6, but I’m trying my best.

Vet School experience:
800 hours divided about equally between two small animal vet clinics
100 hours sports equine facility

-I also created a fundraiser to raise money for those with low income help pay for their pet food in the area and distributed the dog food at Salvation Army and Meals on Wheels

Animal Experience:
10 hours: wildlife rehabilitation
10 hours: bovine clinical practice
20 hours: animal shelter
30 hours: horse handling
30 hours: therapeutic riding center
300 hours: pet sitting/animal care
5 hours: empty the shelter project

Research:
90 hours: canine olfaction research lab

Clubs/Leadership:
President of the Pre Vet Society at my school
Former historian of the Pre Vet Society
member of Women in Stem Club
member of yellow caped raiders (raising dogs for the impaired)
former member (of 2 years) of the feral cat coalition

Employment:
Anatomy TA (2 years)
chilis hostess (6 months)
snowcone stand (5 months)

In high school: varsity band & varsity marching band all 4 years
-graduated suma cum laude

Any recommendations of things to make me stand out would be SO appreciated!! I am working to do what I can to raise my GPA, so if there are any other comments for what else to improve on I would appreciate it! Also, if you have any thoughts on if my GPA will seriously hinder me at most schools. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking through what you posted and tbh the experiences look fairly well spread. I'm not sure I could give great advice in that regard, so I'll leave it to the next person.

As for something that would make you stand out... I think just pursuing something you are interested in, dumping some hours into it, and learning from the experience is the way to go. For me, that was a specific type of research.

Also, if you have any thoughts on if my GPA will seriously hinder me at most schools.
Might be helpful to include your last 45 semester units GPA, as many schools look at that

Reactions: 1 user
Besides increasing gpa, I would recommend to increase your breadth and depth (hours and more varied experiences) of your vet experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have very similar extracurriculars when it comes to amount of hours, clubs, research, and HS activities. Something I wish I had done before applying this cycle is doing more large animal/specialty. I think doing specialties if you have them near you will help you stand out more! I personally did some cardiology shadowing that I felt was different and I wish I had done more! Overall, I got waitlisted to 4 schools and accepted to one. It’s important to note my GPA is higher, so apply SMART! Apply to schools that are more holistic and less GPA driven (exclude Illinois and Cornell at least, i’m not sure of more) and you can do it!!

We have very similar extracurriculars when it comes to amount of hours, clubs, research, and HS activities. Something I wish I had done before applying this cycle is doing more large animal/specialty. I think doing specialties if you have them near you will help you stand out more! I personally did some cardiology shadowing that I felt was different and I wish I had done more! Overall, I got waitlisted to 4 schools and accepted to one. It’s important to note my GPA is higher, so apply SMART! Apply to schools that are more holistic and less GPA driven (exclude Illinois and Cornell at least, i’m not sure of more) and you can do it!!
How do you know which schools are more holistic versus those that value GPA most?

there’s a list somewhere on here that explains, plus if you research their admissions criteria they usually comment on how much percentage academics are/etc
How do you know which schools are more holistic versus those that value GPA most?