WAMC- 1st time applicant, traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

noodleal

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! This is my first cycle applying. I know my hours may be on the lower end; I realized I wanted to be a vet a bit later than most. Regardless, I’m excited to be going through this process. I’m a Maryland resident and I’m choosing to only apply to VAMD, Rowan, and LIU since I never took physics. I did poorly in that class during high school and my major doesn’t require it. So, those are the only schools that I believe I meet the prereqs for. I know this probably lowers my chances but I want to just put myself out there. Right now, I’m really interested in lab animal medicine, but I’m still keeping my options open. Any advice is appreciated 🙂


Cumulative GPA: 3.91
science GPA: 3.91
last 45: 3.99


Any degrees achieved
Graduating in Fall 2026 with a Bachelor’s in Animal Biosciences


Veterinary Experience: 867 hrs
  • Hands-on animal science lab: 30 hrs
  • Histopathology wet lab: 2 hrs
  • Animal care technician at a research facility w/ mice, rats, and voles: 222 hrs
  • Shadow for lab animal residency vets at a research facility w/ pigs, NHPs, dogs, and rodents: 238 hrs
  • Shadow for SA and exotics vet: 25 hrs
  • Shadow for equine vet: 6 hrs
  • Shadow for SA emergency vet: expected ~64 hrs
  • Intern for SA and exotics vet: expected ~280 hrs


Animal Experience: 1116 hrs
  • Cat and small animal volunteer at Humane Society: 60 hrs
  • Pet sitter: ~500 hrs
  • Student participant for the USDA AgDiscovery Program: ~120 hrs
  • Barn volunteer at horse rescue: 36 hrs
  • Another hands-on animal science lab w/ LA: 12 hrs
  • Kennel technician: 370 hrs
  • Volunteer at petting zoo w/ chickens, cattle, sheep, donkeys, horses, pigs, etc.: 18 hrs
  • Should i add my pet ownership to this?


Research Experience: 10 hrs
  • Undergraduate research assistant for lab studying neurodevelopment in mice: expected only ~10 hrs at time of submission


Awards/scholarships:
  • Scholar awards
  • Honor roll
  • Dean’s list every semester
  • Scholarships from University
  • College Board awards
  • Cosmetology awards
  • Math award


Extracurriculars:
  • President/editor for a literary magazine club: 296 hrs
  • Member of green club
  • Cheerleading trainer: 158 hrs
  • National Honor Society
  • Junior Achievement program
  • Member of Kpop club
  • Member of Pre-vet club
  • Cosmetology: 1000+ hrs


Non-animal Volunteering: 50 hrs
  • Volunteering through an environmental club: 20 hrs
  • Various volunteering through NHS: 30 hrs


Employment: 919 hrs
  • Server at a retirement home: 234 hrs
  • Retail associate: 435 hrs
  • Event staff at a concert venue: 100 hrs
  • Peer mentor for first-year students: 150 hrs


LORs:
  • Lab animal DVM I shadowed
  • Advisor/Professor/DVM
  • Manager/DVM
 
Last edited:
I actually think your vet/animal hours are ok. I applied with a similar number of hours and was successful; however like you mentioned I do worry that you are limiting yourself without having physics. For reference, I had a similar GPA and hours and was only accepted to essentially 2 out of 6 schools. I would really consider getting that physics credit even if it is online or at a community college - that will let you apply smart and look for schools that you’d be a competitive applicant at even with low hours. It may also open the door for more cost effective schools.
Your GPA, extracurriculars, volunteering, employment, and LORs look good.
I would not include pet ownership unless you grew up on a farm or did 4H or something like that.
Can you give some context on the class research? It’s hard to say for sure if you can use it without knowing what all you did.
 
I agree with Beans that it's worth it to take physics. Your stats are pretty good, especially that GPA. If you get your vet hours up more, you could probably aim for schools that let you become IS after your first year, like U.C Davis, NC State, etc.

I personally did include research I did for some of my classes. But I was also actively conducting research out in the field and not just sitting at a computer looking up articles for a paper. So I guess it depends?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually think your vet/animal hours are ok. I applied with a similar number of hours and was successful; however like you mentioned I do worry that you are limiting yourself without having physics. For reference, I had a similar GPA and hours and was only accepted to essentially 2 out of 6 schools. I would really consider getting that physics credit even if it is online or at a community college - that will let you apply smart and look for schools that you’d be a competitive applicant at even with low hours. It may also open the door for more cost effective schools.
Your GPA, extracurriculars, volunteering, employment, and LORs look good.
I would not include pet ownership unless you grew up on a farm or did 4H or something like that.
Can you give some context on the class research? It’s hard to say for sure if you can use it without knowing what all you did.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your advice. My class required a project testing genetic inheritance in Drosophila. We ran an experiment to see if a mutant trait followed Mendelian genetics. We collected data and had to write a paper at the end. Do you think this is valid as research?
 
Thank you very much! I appreciate your advice. My class required a project testing genetic inheritance in Drosophila. We ran an experiment to see if a mutant trait followed Mendelian genetics. We collected data and had to write a paper at the end. Do you think this is valid as research?
I'm of the opinion that you may as well include it and if the admissions committee doesn't want to look at it/count it, they won't. Just make sure you specify that it was for a class!