WAMC 27-28 Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ethan0927

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s early but am trying to Gauge my chances of getting into either ECU or UNC as they are both in state NC schools for me. Would appreciate any recommendations as I have many months before needing to apply as well as if DAT score is good enough.

Date of submission: Early Application
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT score:

AA:420
TS:410
BIO:430
GCH: 390
OCH:420
PAT: 410
RC:460
QR:390
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended:
UNCW
Major: Biology

Shadowing Experience: 150+ 3 clinics, general, ortho, peds
Volunteering Experience: 220: Church Youth Group leader. 100: Food bank. 320 total.
Employment: 1000+ working as DSP at autism society of NC, 500+ working in customer service at ice cream shop. Both paid positions.
Research: No research.
Other Extracurriculars: Joined predental club
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
LOR type and strength: Know who recommenders are, will be strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Graudated in 3 years, at DSP job filling out clinical notes.
School list:
UNC
ECU
 
It’s early but am trying to Gauge my chances of getting into either ECU or UNC as they are both in state NC schools for me. Would appreciate any recommendations as I have many months before needing to apply as well as if DAT score is good enough.

Date of submission: Early Application
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT score:

AA:420
TS:410
BIO:430
GCH: 390
OCH:420
PAT: 410
RC:460
QR:390
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended:
UNCW
Major: Biology

Shadowing Experience: 150+ 3 clinics, general, ortho, peds
Volunteering Experience: 220: Church Youth Group leader. 100: Food bank. 320 total.
Employment: 1000+ working as DSP at autism society of NC, 500+ working in customer service at ice cream shop. Both paid positions.
Research: No research.
Other Extracurriculars: Joined predental club
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
LOR type and strength: Know who recommenders are, will be strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Graudated in 3 years, at DSP job filling out clinical notes.
School list:
UNC
ECU
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
you need to fix this...
 
It’s early but am trying to Gauge my chances of getting into either ECU or UNC as they are both in state NC schools for me. Would appreciate any recommendations as I have many months before needing to apply as well as if DAT score is good enough.

Date of submission: Early Application
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.6
DAT score:

AA:420
TS:410
BIO:430
GCH: 390
OCH:420
PAT: 410
RC:460
QR:390
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended:
UNCW
Major: Biology

Shadowing Experience: 150+ 3 clinics, general, ortho, peds
Volunteering Experience: 220: Church Youth Group leader. 100: Food bank. 320 total.
Employment: 1000+ working as DSP at autism society of NC, 500+ working in customer service at ice cream shop. Both paid positions.
Research: No research.
Other Extracurriculars: Joined predental club
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
LOR type and strength: Know who recommenders are, will be strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Graudated in 3 years, at DSP job filling out clinical notes.
School list:
UNC
ECU
DAT 5th percentiles at UNC and ECU are 410 AA 410 TS...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is High Point. If you haven't volunteered or attended recruitment events at your in-state programs, you should. It's not a guarantee for getting an interview, but you need to know what each offers.

I agree your DAT puts you on the low end, though not completely out of the question with a proper mission fit. I wonder about your mission to be a dentist within North Carolina. Did you grow up around the cities, the mountains, or the rural counties?
 
So is High Point. If you haven't volunteered or attended recruitment events at your in-state programs, you should. It's not a guarantee for getting an interview, but you need to know what each offers.

I agree your DAT puts you on the low end, though not completely out of the question with a proper mission fit. I wonder about your mission to be a dentist within North Carolina. Did you grow up around the cities, the mountains, or the rural counties?
I grew up in Leland NC, do you think I need to retake DAT?
 
I don't think you "need" to retake it unless the admissions teams tell you otherwise. My own opinion thinks it's okay, but we'll see how the rest of the pool fares.
Anything else you recommend besides what you previously mentioned, are the rest of my stats good enough?
 
I grew up in Leland NC, do you think I need to retake DAT?
"need" is up to you
but your oGPA is less than 0.10 above UNC/ECU average and sGPA is a tiny bit lower than their averages
do you feel comfortable applying with a 5th percentile DAT?

once again, you need to have asked these questions of your target schools already, but if not, soon
they are currently really busy right now, so you may not get an answer quickly, if at all...
 
Anything else you recommend besides what you previously mentioned, are the rest of my stats good enough?
It's not just about your stats. Your entire application matters. As I said, you have "good" stats, but is that good enough for an interview??? I don't know off-hand. I would worry if ECU doesn't follow up with you since you grew up around Wilmington, so you arguably have some insight about communities in the tidewater area and whom ECU is dedicated to serving. But I don't know how you showed that in your application.