WAMC this cycle as a non trad applying with low gpa but masters in the works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheProcess76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: 8/12/2022
Overall GPA: 3.14 (graduated fall 2017)
Science GPA: 2.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.96
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA/24PAT/20QR/22RC/20GC/20OC/17B/18TS
State of Residence:
PA
Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes (not career changer but worked in pharma for a year and healthcare contracting for the last 3)
Employment: post undergrad: molecular bio tech (2520hrs), payor relations analyst(6320hrs), retail (several places total ~1200hrs), during undergrad: lab assistant as part of work study during college (300hrs), resident assistant for 2 years
Research: part of school's undergraduate research program and my project hit a dead end. I did become close with my old lab instructor at the time and he asked me to help with an oncolytic virotherapy review article which was later published and I was listed as co author
Volunteering/Shadowing: dental assistant at local clinic (480hrs), HIV Tester (52hrs), Hospital Transport Team (300hrs)
Other Extracurricular: Member of marching band 1st year of college and band manager during junior year, residential conduct board, secretary and founding member of HIV/AIDS awareness club, election clerk during primary and general elections,
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors (1 PI and 1 lab instructor who I later did a review article publication with), dentists I worked at free clinic with, and supervisor of dental clinic. Not really sure what the strength on letters are.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Basically I did not learn about dentistry until after college when I started volunteering on the side while working full time. I am currently in a masters program to work on my gpa but when I was in college (2013-2017) I had a C's get degrees mentality. I failed Calculus multiple times and that hurt my GPA and also had to repeat a few courses. In addition, I had an eye problem during my junior year where I had to used my school's disability resources center because I got Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis due to excess protein buildup in my eyes and my vision became blurry and bumps formed underneath my eyelids. My concern is that dental schools will not wait for my grades from this fall semester and that is why I am curious if I have any chances. I applied last year but my DAT was bad (relearning ochem sucks) and had no plans of doing a masters but at this point after retaking the DAT doing the masters is my only hope of schools taking me seriously
School list:

AT Still AZ
AT Still MO
Boston U
Creighton
U Southern Cali
Kansas City University
LECOM
Midwestern IL
NYU
Roseman
Nova
Touro
LMU
Tufts
Temple
Case Western

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 8/12/2022
Overall GPA: 3.14 (graduated fall 2017)
Science GPA: 2.87
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.96
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA/24PAT/20QR/22RC/20GC/20OC/17B/18TS
State of Residence:
PA
Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes (not career changer but worked in pharma for a year and healthcare contracting for the last 3)
Employment: post undergrad: molecular bio tech (2520hrs), payor relations analyst(6320hrs), retail (several places total ~1200hrs), during undergrad: lab assistant as part of work study during college (300hrs), resident assistant for 2 years
Research: part of school's undergraduate research program and my project hit a dead end. I did become close with my old lab instructor at the time and he asked me to help with an oncolytic virotherapy review article which was later published and I was listed as co author
Volunteering/Shadowing: dental assistant at local clinic (480hrs), HIV Tester (52hrs), Hospital Transport Team (300hrs)
Other Extracurricular: Member of marching band 1st year of college and band manager during junior year, residential conduct board, secretary and founding member of HIV/AIDS awareness club, election clerk during primary and general elections,
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors (1 PI and 1 lab instructor who I later did a review article publication with), dentists I worked at free clinic with, and supervisor of dental clinic. Not really sure what the strength on letters are.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Basically I did not learn about dentistry until after college when I started volunteering on the side while working full time. I am currently in a masters program to work on my gpa but when I was in college (2013-2017) I had a C's get degrees mentality. I failed Calculus multiple times and that hurt my GPA and also had to repeat a few courses. In addition, I had an eye problem during my junior year where I had to used my school's disability resources center because I got Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis due to excess protein buildup in my eyes and my vision became blurry and bumps formed underneath my eyelids. My concern is that dental schools will not wait for my grades from this fall semester and that is why I am curious if I have any chances. I applied last year but my DAT was bad (relearning ochem sucks) and had no plans of doing a masters but at this point after retaking the DAT doing the masters is my only hope of schools taking me seriously
School list:
AT Still AZ
AT Still MO
Boston U
Creighton
U Southern Cali
Kansas City University
LECOM
Midwestern IL
NYU
Roseman
Nova
Touro
LMU
Tufts
Temple
Case Western
you are likely going to need a nearly 4.0 gpa in your masters for over a year to prove yourself...