WAMC (Low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockyMountainPearls

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/10
Overall GPA: 3.21
Science GPA: 2.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 17 PAT: 25 TS: 16 Bio: 16 Chem: 19 OCHEM: 12
State of Residence: CO

Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 175 Hours multiple Practices
Volunteering Experience: 110 (Food Bank, TOPS Soccer, Soccer Club)
Employment: Golf Course Employee (Pro Shop)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Transferred Schools because I was not happy with first institution. Had 2 C's one semester at that school.
School list:
Creighton, Roseman, Midwestern (AZ), LECOM, UNLV, Touro, New England

I Plan to retake the DAT upcoming spring 2024. I didn't want to rush into retaking it. What can I improve other than getting a good DAT score? Hard to move GPA at this point in my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 17 PAT: 25 TS: 16 Bio: 16 Chem: 19 OCHEM: 12

Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 175 Hours multiple Practices
Volunteering Experience: 110 (Food Bank, TOPS Soccer, Soccer Club)
Employment: Golf Course Employee (Pro Shop)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Transferred Schools because I was not happy with first institution. Had 2 C's one semester at that school.
School list:

I Plan to retake the DAT next spring. I didn't want to rush into retaking it. What can I improve other than getting a good DAT score? Hard to move GPA at this point in my undergrad.
upward trend on grades?
what is your last 12 months gpa? 24 months?

are you sure you can improve enough on your dat by spring?
you gonna need to be in the 20s...

Reactions: 1 user
Your low GPA may warrant considering going to a Special Master's Program, especially one hosted by dental schools in oral biology. It's too low to give me confidence you could survive an intense curriculum like the 3-year Roseman curriculum. Colorado is your home state so not applying to your home state dental school means you are taking a huge risk applying out of state with your metrics.

Please inventory your volunteering experience. Which activities are you involved in where you are serving underprivileged communities in need?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
upward trend on grades?
what is your last 12 months gpa? 24 months?

are you sure you can improve enough on your dat by spring?
you gonna need to be in the 20s...
I have had a 3.31 over the past year. Just one C killing me. GPA has increased over the years but no huge trend.
When do you suggest I take DAT or how long I should study?

Your low GPA may warrant considering going to a Special Master's Program, especially one hosted by dental schools in oral biology. It's too low to give me confidence you could survive an intense curriculum like the 3-year Roseman curriculum. Colorado is your home state so not applying to your home state dental school means you are taking a huge risk applying out of state with your metrics.

Please inventory your volunteering experience. Which activities are you involved in where you are serving underprivileged communities in need?
I have been looking at masters programs but haven't found anything spectacular in my brief search. I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately and they prefer students with research.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
I have had a 3.31 over the past year. Just one C killing me. GPA has increased over the years but no huge trend.
you need to take it when you are ready to get a high score
a 3.31 is still not likely to be good enough to convince schools you are ready for a doctoral level program...

I have been looking at masters programs but haven't found anything spectacular in my brief search. I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately and they prefer students with research. They also take a lot of international students. They do not prefer in state students like most other public state schools.
Look at attending Colorado's Masters program. Guarantees a spot in their dental school: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) MHA Pathway to Dentistry Program.
1703817969578.png

Otherwise there are other programs that have MBS attached to dental schools, Boston University, Midwestern, LECOM, Roseman, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been looking at masters programs but haven't found anything spectacular in my brief search. I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately and they prefer students with research. They also take a lot of international students. They do not prefer in state students like most other public state schools.

I think we have 3 people in our class that are international. About 48% out of state. Don’t know about research, I haven’t talked to anyone tho who has said they are interested in research though.

School list:

I Plan to retake the DAT upcoming spring 2024. I didn't want to rush into retaking it. What can I improve other than getting a good DAT score? Hard to move GPA at this point in my undergrad.
So there was no reason to apply to Roseman unless you have a 17 minimum on the DAT in every section, it is a requirement. Additionally, they require the last 30 credit hours for science courses to be above a 3.0, so do not apply unless you have the requirements.

With your statistics, yes DAT retake is required. I would also consider applying to more programs next cycle with your gpa.

wait, did you apply this past cycle (23-24)?

I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately...
Then I would definitely ask you to look at SMP programs and hope you can qualify for an inevitable through linkage. This will require moving, but you need the GPA repair as an OOS applicant. As mentioned above: BU, Rutgers, Midwestern, LECOM... any premed SMPs working closely with dental schools.

I think we have 3 people in our class that are international. About 48% out of state. Don’t know about research, I haven’t talked to anyone tho who has said they are interested in research though.
What are your thoughts on CU Dental? I still hesitate to apply with all I have heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Still haven't heard anything from 5 schools I applied to
ok, that's going to be an issue
reapplicants are held to a higher standard
you need to show a ton of improvement, not only on DAT, but in ECs/work exp also...

Yes. Still haven't heard anything from 5 schools I applied to
I would be surprised if you heard back from any schools with your 12 on ochem and 16 bio. You really only applied to 4 programs with your stats (threw $200 out the window with Roseman's app).

My plan if I were in your shoes:
If I were in your position, I would consider adding more programs right now, but it might be a waste of money with your DAT.
I would also try to get accepted into Colorado's Master's, especially being in-state. I don't think you understand how huge that program is. You should try to talk to them and meet with the program director, and work your hardest to get accepted into it. They have a Zoom info session on Jan. 11th; please attend it. Applications open on Jan. 8th - Feb 10th, so I would attend the info session and apply right after it. Having a guaranteed spot would be incredible. If you are lucky enough to get an interview treat it like an interview to dental school (because it is). If accepted, do the program. You would pay significantly less for that program than any other Master's program connected to a dental school (tuition is around $22.4k for the Masters). You also get a $7,000 scholarship for doing the program so the tuition is closer to $15k. If you do get accepted into that incredible master's program, then study hard and perform well on the DAT (they require a minimum of 18 on it). You should perform unbelievably in the Master's program and start at Colorado right when you finish the program. The huge perk of going to Colorado for dental school is the in-state tuition; only $43k. That is cheap compared to most programs.

If I didn't get accepted into the Master's, I would look for a different Master's at a different dental school (hopefully one that is inexpensive). I believe MWU also can do a bridge for their master's, but it is expensive. You would easily come out of dental school and that master's w/+$600k in debt if you did that. MWU tuition is over $90K + their master's is $45k. add in all the fees, living, and interest, easily $600k if you did that route compared to Colorado's or a different program.

Please try and get accepted into the MPH at colorado; it looks like a phenomenal opportunity for anyone who is interested in going to dental school with a lower GPA or DAT.

Link to the Program & info session below:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
"I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately and they prefer students with research. They also take a lot of international students."

OP seems to be overly discriminatory against international students. This sounds so self-righteous and close-minded. I wouldn't hold a negative view against others because of the place they happen to be born in.

Yeah his statement seemed a little weird

Exactly. He sounds like a prejudiced individual with extreme bigotry. It's highly uncalled for.
I don't think the OP has negative ideas pertaining to international students. I think it is more likely that the OP is afraid that they won't be accepted because the school is more likely to accept international students.

The OP is already below the average accepted students GPA & DAT for Colorado. In the sentence before he said, "they prefer students with research." which I am assuming he doesn't have. Just like the OP isn't an international applicant. So I think he's just saying he isn't likely to get accepted because he doesn't do research, have the GPA/DAT, nor is an international applicant.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
"I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately and they prefer students with research. They also take a lot of international students."

OP seems to be overly discriminatory against international students. This sounds so self-righteous and close-minded. I wouldn't hold a negative view against others because of the place they happen to be born in.
Yeah OP's statement sounds very inappropriate and strange.

I don't think the OP has negative ideas pertaining to international students. I think it is more likely that the OP is afraid that they won't be accepted because the school is more likely to accept international students.

The OP is already below the average accepted students GPA & DAT for Colorado. In the sentence before he said, "they prefer students with research." which I am assuming he doesn't have. Just like the OP isn't an international applicant. So I think he's just saying he isn't likely to get accepted because he doesn't do research, have the GPA/DAT, nor is an international applicant.
I do think his statement is very weird though. He says "I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately", then directly follows this negative statement with a false made-up claim "they also take a lot of international students." (which isn't true btw, because Colorado barely takes any international students in reality).

It's pretty clear that he's prejudiced and trying to create negative connotations.

I do think his statement is very weird though. He says "I chose not to apply to Colorado because their reputation has been very poor lately", then directly follows this negative statement with a false made-up claim "they also take a lot of international students." (which isn't true btw, because Colorado barely takes any international students in reality).

It's pretty clear that he's prejudiced and trying to create negative connotations.
OP may be talking aboit foreign trained dentists that join in second or third year to get their us creds...

• Dislike
Regardless, his statement is weird and gives off bad intentions.
i don't see that at all
it may have just been poorly worded
adding large numbers of students to the class changes the dynamics of the class and can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor advice to learn and graduate...

• Dislike
i don't see that at all
it may have just been poorly worded
adding large numbers of students to the class changes the dynamics of the class and can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor advice to learn and graduate...
Well most people do see the problem in his statement. If you think they "can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor", then just state "students can cause such problems", no need to add the "international" quantifier, which is exactly what OP did in his problematic statement.

Last edited:
the OP is afraid that they won't be accepted because the school is more likely to accept international students.
This is ridiculous. The school is definitely not "more likely to accept international students". In fact, they rarely, if ever, accept international students. They only have 1 international student out of the entire class. Not sure why you're trying to shift the blame onto others.

OP does have very low GPAs, and seems like he's trying to find excuses for himself.

Well most people do see the problem in his statement. If you think they "can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor", then just state "students can cause such problems", no need to add the "international" quantifier, which is exactly what he did in his problematic statement.

You seem to be very biased as well, so I understand why you claim that you don't see the problem with his statement at all.
please show me where i said anything about international dentists causing a problem
i just said "adding large numbers", it's about numbers, not where people are from...

Well most people do see the problem in his statement. If you think they "can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor", then just state "students can cause such problems", no need to add the "international" quantifier, which is exactly what he did in his problematic statement.

You seem to be very biased as well, so I understand why you claim that you don't see the problem with his statement at all.
please show how "most" people do see a problem with his post
i count 3 out of thousands of members on this site...

please show me where i said anything about international dentists causing a problem
i just said "adding large numbers", it's about numbers, not where people are from...
I was referring to OP's statement.

Last edited:
I was referring to OP's statement, and I made it very clear.
yeah, this seems clear to me...
"You seem to be very biased as well, so I understand why you claim that you don't see the problem with his statement at all."

• Inappropriate
Well most people do see the problem in his statement. If you think they "can cause problems with obtaining enough patients/chair time/instructor", then just state "students can cause such problems", no need to add the "international" quantifier, which is exactly what OP did in his problematic statement.
x2

• Inappropriate
OP may be talking aboit foreign trained dentists that join in second or third year to get their us creds...

CU has an ISP program, for people that are dentists in their country but aren’t qualified here. However, they are in their own cohort entirely.

I would be surprised if you heard back from any schools with your 12 on ochem and 16 bio. You really only applied to 4 programs with your stats (threw $200 out the window with Roseman's app).

My plan if I were in your shoes:
If I were in your position, I would consider adding more programs right now, but it might be a waste of money with your DAT.
I would also try to get accepted into Colorado's Master's, especially being in-state. I don't think you understand how huge that program is. You should try to talk to them and meet with the program director, and work your hardest to get accepted into it. They have a Zoom info session on Jan. 11th; please attend it. Applications open on Jan. 8th - Feb 10th, so I would attend the info session and apply right after it. Having a guaranteed spot would be incredible. If you are lucky enough to get an interview treat it like an interview to dental school (because it is). If accepted, do the program. You would pay significantly less for that program than any other Master's program connected to a dental school (tuition is around $22.4k for the Masters). You also get a $7,000 scholarship for doing the program so the tuition is closer to $15k. If you do get accepted into that incredible master's program, then study hard and perform well on the DAT (they require a minimum of 18 on it). You should perform unbelievably in the Master's program and start at Colorado right when you finish the program. The huge perk of going to Colorado for dental school is the in-state tuition; only $43k. That is cheap compared to most programs.

If I didn't get accepted into the Master's, I would look for a different Master's at a different dental school (hopefully one that is inexpensive). I believe MWU also can do a bridge for their master's, but it is expensive. You would easily come out of dental school and that master's w/+$600k in debt if you did that. MWU tuition is over $90K + their master's is $45k. add in all the fees, living, and interest, easily $600k if you did that route compared to Colorado's or a different program.

Please try and get accepted into the MPH at colorado; it looks like a phenomenal opportunity for anyone who is interested in going to dental school with a lower GPA or DAT.

Link to the Program & info session below:
I really appreciate your help. I just did some research on the program and it sounds like a great program. One of their top requirements I do not meet. Any other ideas? or suggestions? Thank you

I really appreciate your help. I just did some research on the program and it sounds like a great program. One of their top requirements I do not meet. Any other ideas? or suggestions? Thank you
do a search for "SMP" or "special masters" or "linkage"...