WAMC 3.48 GPA 512 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful30

Reaction score
Hello! I need help generating a school list. I am 26 years old (27 when I apply). Futher, I am a non-trad and have been out of school for four years. My GPA has a somewhat downward trend due to work obligations.

UT Austin alum

cGPA 3.46

sGPA: 3.28

Male, URM (Mexican American)

Fluent in both English and Spanish

Texas resident

MCAT: 512 (126, 127, 129, 130)

2011 SMDEP alumni

Terry scholar

Summer Research Internship at a Texas Medical School

I worked throughout all of college and I have many extracurricular (i.e. SGA member, Biology I and II preceptor, and involved in multiple organizations), volunteer (volunteer at ER department for three years and translator at a clinic serving the underprivileged for about 6-7 years), and shadowing experiences (over 150 hours in varying specialties). Psychology research in undergrad, but no pubs or poster presentations.

Lastly, I have been working for the past four years as a Research Technician in a lab at a Texas Medical School and have presented multiple posters at national conferences (8 posters). 1 Oral Presentation award at ABRCMS, 2 First Author Pubs, 2 Co-Author Pubs, 1 Co-Author Review.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I need help generating a school list. I am 26 years old (27 when I apply). Futher, I am a non-trad and have been out of school for four years. My GPA has a somewhat downward trend due to work obligations.

UT Austin alum

cGPA 3.46

sGPA: 3.28

Male, URM (Mexican American)

Fluent in both English and Spanish

Texas resident

MCAT: 512 (126, 127, 129, 130)

2011 SMDEP alumni

Terry scholar

Summer Research Internship at a Texas Medical School

I worked throughout all of college and I have many extracurricular (i.e. SGA member, Biology I and II preceptor, and involved in multiple organizations), volunteer (volunteer at ER department for three years and translator at a clinic serving the underprivileged for about 6-7 years), and shadowing experiences (over 150 hours in varying specialties). Psychology research in undergrad, but no pubs or poster presentations.

Lastly, I have been working for the past four years as a Research Technician in a lab at a Texas Medical School and have presented multiple posters at national conferences (8 posters). 1 Oral Presentation award at ABRCMS, 2 First Author Pubs, 2 Co-Author Pubs, 1 Co-Author Review.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
What is your year by year GPA breakdown?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let Goro advise you better. But I think you'll be fine for M.D schools

I think you should apply to at least 5 DO schools as backups just in case you don't make the MD cut. I recommend the original five DO schools. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that bad a downward trend. I agree with the wise Faha. Add U AZ and maybe U OK to the list
Thanks! With my research background do you think I would be competitive for UTSW or Baylor?

Last edited:
OOS may be willing to offer an inducement...
Should I apply to some OOS research heavy schools? I just found out the I was awarded FAP so I am still going through MSAR.

Last edited: