MD & DO WAMC: 3.51 sGPA, 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddo2022

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My first post here! Did my UG in a foreign country. I got a Master's degree which included 32 credits. UG and grad school were in electrical engineering. Worked for a bit and switched to Biomed research, gradually became interested in medicine. I have completed almost all the prereqs (DIY postbacc from a reputed university) for medical school which will add up to 80 credits (grad+postbacc). I will probably be taking 2 more upper level courses in biology.

State of residency: NY (34F and ORM too)

GPA: post bacc Science GPA: 3.51 (don't know how to calculate cGPA though)

MCAT: 503 (127,122,127,127)

Clinical Experience: ~1000 hours as a clinical research coordinator in Neurology department.

Non-clinical Volunteering experience: ~300 hours working in a soup kitchen serving minority, underserved and immigrant population. Volunteered virtually for Zooniverse - about 50 hours

Clinical volunteering: ~100 hours volunteering at a children's hospital

Research: Have been in basic science research for 4 years now. Research in ophthalmology, obesity, stem cell and developmental biology at T10 institutions. Have 2 poster presentations and hopefully a publication by 2023

Shadowing: 80 hours in ER, pediatrics, OB/GYN, CT surgeon. Currently shadowing a DO and loving it! The DO has agreed to write a letter.

Leadership/Other things: Have trained several research techs, newly admitted grad students in the lab.

I am an immigrant with a green card. I basically emigrated myself to avoid being forced into an "arranged" marriage! I am an ESL student and hence the abysmal CARS score. I did take a reading/writing course in English and got an A-, but do not plan on retaking the MCAT.
I live in a neighborhood that has majority of underserved population. I understand their daily struggles with respect to poverty, substance abuse, gun violence etc. I want to target schools whose main mission involves serving the minority. Please let me know what my chances are and help me make a school list (DO and MD). Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM ( all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
For MD schools you could try these:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM ( all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
For MD schools you could try these:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Thank you so much for the suggestions @Faha What do you think are my chances at these DO and MD schools? With my work for the minority/underserved, would it wise to add HBCUs?
@Goro it would be great if you could add suggestions/advice. Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the suggestions @Faha What do you think are my chances at these DO and MD schools? With my work for the minority/underserved, would it wise to add HBCUs?
@Goro it would be great if you could add suggestions/advice. Thank you!
You should receive several interviews at the DO schools I listed. MD schools are all reaches for interviews but you could receive one or two.
The HBCUs are unlikely since most of those admitted are from the African American community.

You should receive several interviews at the DO schools I listed. MD schools are all reaches for interviews but you could receive one or two.
The HBCUs are unlikely since most of those admitted are from the African American community.
Got it. Thank you so much!