MD & DO WAMC 3.53 cGPA/3.65scGPA | 514 MCAT w/ School List **IA**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScrubswithnoSleeves

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am posting this though I already applied because I want to know what I should expect going forward (I applied without the clinical exp and 2 II's that went well but no A's). I am wondering if I should enroll in an AE program: Postbaccalaureate Premedical Certificate - Keck Graduate Institute
(wish I didn't apply this cycle and did an SMP, but gotta work with what I got) @Goro do I need to reinvent myself?

Reapplicant
CA Resident, White Male (just a pepper of adversity: parents divorced when I was two because my dad was an abusive alcoholic)

MCAT:
ist Attempt: 506 (129, 124, 127, 126)
2nd Attempt: 514 (127, 128, 130, 129)

B.S. Microbiology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53 (Strong upward trend, 2.7 frsh (32cr) > 3.67 soph (42 cr) > 3.73 junior > 4.0 senior+5th years)
Science GPA: 3.65

- Research
4 months @ USC working on a non-invasive method for reducing tumor size
4 months @ Mae Fah Luang University in Thailand working on extracting organic anti-fungal agents from fungi for use as organic pesticides
6 Months @ UW Madison. Senior capstone research isolating and describing novel microorganisms from deep sea hydrothermal vents
Global health research with Project Malawi (paper accepted for publication, presenting at HSR 2020 in Dubai)

- ECs
Co-founder and President of XXX Malawi (non-profit improves quality of life for people in Malawi, Africa)
-- Fundraisers + Grants allowed us to donate >$1million medical supplies to hospitals (1/8 of their GDP)
-- Went to Malawi and worked directly with hospitals to allocate said supplies
-- Organized construction of surgical theater to reduce deaths from C-sections + set up research with USC medical school to measure efficacy of the theater's effect on C-section death rates
-- Global health research paper
Student rep on board of directors for WAND (Wisconsin Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
• Ability First Volunteering - teaching high school students with special needs life skills
Science Saturdays - educating elementary school students about STEM
TA for mid-level microbio Lab
Worked with local Thai coffee shop owner to design a functional website and help market his store
-- (this one is important to me because of his mission and I will relate it to the medical field)
Conversational in Spanish (learned over quarantine, still learning want to work with latino communities)
• Programming in Python (Statistical Analysis for Project Malawi paper, also taught myself over quarantine)

- Clinical Experience - (970 hours total)
• 150 Hrs shadowing
• 32 Shadowing Hours (2 MDs)
• 620 Hours EMT in Downtown Los Angeles
• 168 Hours in Malawi working with patients and physiotherapists

***IA (Not on transcripts, expunged from my record, still reported on AMCAS)

Schools Applied To
MD Schools
Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin SMPH
New York University Long Island School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Albany Medical College
Tulane University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Wake Forest SOM
Wayne State
DO Schools
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - PCOM
Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine - MSUCOM
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern Osteopathic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha

Not on transcripts, expunged from my record, I still reported on AMCAS

One instance: Fall Semester, Freshman year (2014)

In an intro biology lab, I was assigned a group project to research a disease and prepare a presentation. One part of the project called for listing
colloquial names for the disease. The CDC had a list of several colloquial names for our disease. I copied that list and cited the source, along with
a few others. When we submitted the project, the list came up as a 100% match on turnitin.com. My teacher said that because I did not modify the
list, it was plagiarism. He reported us to the department head, and I was charged with academic dishonesty. I was told I had two choices: I could
participate in an academic integrity workshop, and the incident would not appear on my transcript, or I could try my chances in court where the
verdict would most likely end up on my transcript. Given these options, I chose the workshop.

I regret not taking the matter to court because I do not believe I plagiarized anyone's work. I was scared and naive, so I did what seemed right at
the time. I have since become obsessively stringent with my citations.

I hold myself to a high standard of integrity. I do not cheat or plagiarize because I believe it undermines the education system and reduces my efficacy regardless of being caught.

@Faha

Not on transcripts, expunged from my record, I still reported on AMCAS

One instance: Fall Semester, Freshman year (2014)

In an intro biology lab, I was assigned a group project to research a disease and prepare a presentation. One part of the project called for listing
colloquial names for the disease. The CDC had a list of several colloquial names for our disease. I copied that list and cited the source, along with
a few others. When we submitted the project, the list came up as a 100% match on turnitin.com. My teacher said that because I did not modify the
list, it was plagiarism. He reported us to the department head, and I was charged with academic dishonesty. I was told I had two choices: I could
participate in an academic integrity workshop, and the incident would not appear on my transcript, or I could try my chances in court where the
verdict would most likely end up on my transcript. Given these options, I chose the workshop.

I regret not taking the matter to court because I do not believe I plagiarized anyone's work. I was scared and naive, so I did what seemed right at
the time. I have since become obsessively stringent with my citations.

I hold myself to a high standard of integrity. I do not cheat or plagiarize because I believe it undermines the education system and reduces my efficacy regardless of being caught.
It should not affect your application.

Reactions: 1 user