WAMC 3.56s/3.6c, 508 Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebigsad0331

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was encouraged by a fellow veteran to post and so this will be my first post to SDN. Appreciate any feedback on school list as well as honest feedback:

USMC Infantry Sergeant (several awards, honors)
  1. cGPA: 3.58 Pre-Military - 2.9(3 W; No direction w/ life, done as I was dealing with health issues preventing me from enlisting); Post-Military - 3.7
  2. sGPA: 3.56 Pre-Military - 2.7 (same reason as cGPA); Post-Military - 3.68
  3. MCAT: 508 (128/125/127/128)
  4. MI resident
  5. White male, disadvantaged, non-traditional
  6. Undergrad: mid-tier public
  7. Clinical experience: 2500hr CNA, 50hr Hospice volunteer
  8. Research: Undergraduate fellowship at top public in-state school, 500 hours Cancer Biology research in lab at top public in-state school, pub in progress
  9. Shadowing: 40ish hours in three specialties (IM Hospitalist, cardiology, oculoplastic surgery)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: 25hr VA cemetery, 30hr food and clothing dist. volunteer
  11. Leadership: military, re-founder and president of only student-veteran org at my school
  12. Hobbies/non-med interests- powerlifting, fly tying, and freediving
  13. Relevant honors or awards: Student-veteran scholarship, dean's list since military
  14. I collected everything early, will apply day 1 and will be pre-writing secondaries starting next week. Good writer, good letters of rec (2 university science, 1 student org faculty, platoon commander, nurse manager, research PI)
school list - all Michigan schools (6 MD, 1 DO), GW, Georgetown, wake forest, temple, Penn state, Albany, UIC, NYMC, OSU, Cincinnati, Vermont, Oregon H&S, buffalo, U of Wisconsin, tufts, medical college of Wisconsin, Vermont, UMass, Jefferson, saint Louis, Loyola, Quinnipiac, Albert Einstein, BU

I know several schools are a reach for stats. I am not sure how the pre-military GPA will come off to adcoms. Any recommendations on other programs would be appreciated. Additionally, considering applying to some higher-level programs, but would love to hear your input. For me, it is hard to assess my competitiveness or what kind of impact military success will have on the cycle.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will try to answer in a timely manner.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All Michigan MD and DO schools
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
East Tennessee
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All Michigan MD and DO schools
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
East Tennessee
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your service.

Faha's list includes a lot of schools that are known to be military-friendly. Connect with each program high on your wishlist to see about any support groups for military veteran students and their families. I'll also suggest Veterans at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School if you fit their profile.

I don't know if this is still active, but I will list them:

We also have a lot of veterans who have made it to medical school here.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your service.

Faha's list includes a lot of schools that are known to be military-friendly. Connect with each program high on your wishlist to see about any support groups for military veteran students and their families. I'll also suggest Veterans at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School if you fit their profile.

I don't know if this is still active, but I will list them:

We also have a lot of veterans who have made it to medical school here.
Thank you for your support!

I appreciate your advice as reaching out to the medical schools about veteran specific resources is something I had not yet considered doing. Truly appreciate your insight.

Thank you for your service! Best of luck in applying for MD. You absolutely deserve it.