MD & DO WAMC/School List Advice - cGPA: 3.59, MCAT: 501

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you have done very little shadowing with the cardiologists you work for? They know you're applying to medical school, right? How about that DO psychiatrist?

While the work you have done as a Community Outreach officer is a great start, you should build on that experience, especially if you can show you can be involved without the safety net of being on-campus. Working with the enrichment program is great but does not really satisfy "service orientation" (it is giving back as a future professional and promotes education, but does not alleviate others' distress).

Your "social justice/advocacy" items are Leadership. I don't see specifically where you are consistently advocating a cause, especially regarding a social inequity issue. Maybe that's in the details we don't have. The work you did regarding anti-Asian hate counts under "advocacy", not necessarily "community service/volunteer." A small stretch would include your BLS instruction as "community service." I can accept the sustainability club as "advocacy" for the pill bottle campaign, but you have it written like a leadership activity.

Yeah, MCAT 501 is going to be a tough one for staying in-state California MD unless you have a history of being disadvantaged when it comes to your education or childhood. Do you qualify for FAP? I agree that looking at DO's would increase your odds to getting an A and become a physician, but your list shows a shotgun approach IMO. I'll let others try to make the lists.

My concern is discerning your mission fit. Like most premeds, you have a lot of teaching. You also have a fair number of leadership roles. I'm just missing non-clinical service orientation and enough clinical shadowing to assure me you know what you're getting into as a physician as opposed to any other healthcare role where you can also make a significant impact on others' lives through teaching. You could probably be a good candidate for a research Master's program though that would sidetrack you from becoming a physician.

Check the DO Explorer database. Someone share the DO school spreadsheet, please? I think you have a good shot, but how far are you willing to move away from California to do it? You don't list rural experience which would be a culture shock and a mission-fit challenge (BCOM, Pikeville, Arkansas, Alabama, RVU, UNE, PNW, Oklahoma, WVSOM).

Reactions: 1 user
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care) before you apply.You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 501 and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
NYIT-AR
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM
LUCOM
PCOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Mr.Smile12 - Thank you so much for such a thorough response and for all of the feedback! I will definitely take everything that you have said into account and keep it all in mind as I prepare to apply.

So you have done very little shadowing with the cardiologists you work for? They know you're applying to medical school, right? How about that DO psychiatrist?
Unfortunately, this experience was a few summers ago, and I was only able to get a small amount shadowing done. The DO psychiatrist isn't currently taking any people for shadowing, so I am reaching out to some of my local physicians. A hospital near me also has a shadowing program, so I am also looking into that right now.

Do you qualify for FAP?
No, I don't qualify for FAP.

I agree that looking at DO's would increase your odds to getting an A and become a physician, but your list shows a shotgun approach IMO. I'll let others try to make the lists.
I definitely agree, and I am hoping to get some more feedback on my list because of that. I just chose to include a wider range, but I do hope to narrow down my list and refine it more.

Check the DO Explorer database. Someone share the DO school spreadsheet, please? I think you have a good shot, but how far are you willing to move away from California to do it? You don't list rural experience which would be a culture shock and a mission-fit challenge (BCOM, Pikeville, Arkansas, Alabama, RVU, UNE, PNW, Oklahoma, WVSOM).
Honestly, I am very open to moving anywhere within the United States for medical school. Even though staying in California would be nice, I also feel like moving away would also be a great learning experience for me. I know that it will be difficult and that there will definitely be a culture shock, but I do also feel a sense of excitement about potentially experiencing a completely new environment. At the end of the day, I want to be a physician that is dedicated to serving as many different communities as I can, including underserved communities, and it would feel a bit hypocritical of me to not be open to moving to rural areas that need more physician support.

You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care) before you apply.You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 501 and I suggest these:
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
NYIT-AR
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM
LUCOM
PCOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA

Thank you so much @Faha for this list of schools! I will be using this to look more into the schools that were not already on my list, and I will consider adding them. For clarification, were you referring to both Westerns or did you only mean one of the locations? If so, did you mean Western U (CA) or Western U (OR)?

@Goro @Moko @chilly_md Hello! I hope that you all are doing well. I was wondering if I could please get some more advice to help refine my school list, as well as more feedback on my overall application and candidacy. If not, that's completely okay! I really appreciate everything that you all do for the SDN community.

Unfortunately, this experience was a few summers ago, and I was only able to get a small amount shadowing done. The DO psychiatrist isn't currently taking any people for shadowing, so I am reaching out to some of my local physicians. A hospital near me also has a shadowing program, so I am also looking into that right now.
These doctors should have colleagues who might be more available for shadowing. You can't just stop at "no" if you need more shadowing. If they believe in you, they will find people for you. That's what mentors do.

Honestly, I am very open to moving anywhere within the United States for medical school. Even though staying in California would be nice, I also feel like moving away would also be a great learning experience for me. I know that it will be difficult and that there will definitely be a culture shock, but I do also feel a sense of excitement about potentially experiencing a completely new environment. At the end of the day, I want to be a physician that is dedicated to serving as many different communities as I can, including underserved communities, and it would feel a bit hypocritical of me to not be open to moving to rural areas that need more physician support.
With interviews being virtual, you don't have to budget thousands of dollars for plane tickets, though you may need to if you have to go to campus interviews or second-looks. That said, it's easy to say you are willing to move anywhere, but I don't know if your family feels the same way. Sure, people adjust to culture shock while in medical school, but I'm not sure taking a spot at the newest RVU-Montana spot if it becomes available to you will come easily.

Last edited:
Agree with Mr. Smile and Faha. You will need shadowing and should get a DO letter.

Apply DO and I suggest:

TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
NYIT-AR
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
Western CA
Touro CA
KCOM (Kirksville)

• Care
These doctors should have colleagues who might be more available for shadowing. You can't just stop at "no" if you need more shadowing. Iif they believe in you, they will find people for you. That's what mentors do.
Oh yes, I did already reach out to them about connecting me with any of their colleagues, and they said that they will happily reach out on my behalf and help me find some shadowing opportunities! I am also looking for opportunities on my own as well because I do realize that it is a significant part of my application that is lacking, and I hope to start accumulating hours as soon as possible.

With interviews being virtual, you don't have to budget thousands of dollars for plane tickets, though you may need to if you have to go to campus interviews or second-looks. That said, it's easy to say you are willing to move anywhere, but I don't know if your family feels the same way. Sure, people adjust to culture shock while in medical school, but I'm not sure taking a spot at the newest RVU-Montana spot if it becomes available to you will come easily.
That is a very valid point! I have been trying to discuss everything with my family, and we’re considering & preparing for many different scenarios, since they know how unpredictable the process can be. These are all things that I do not plan to take lightly, and I will definitely put a lot of thought into everything. I really appreciate all of your feedback and advice! Not only do I hope to make my application the best that it can be from all of the advice that I receive/have received here but I also hope to read and understand all of the nuances that go into the application process. It’s super helpful because, no matter how much research I have done, it’s helpful to actively engage with people and hear their insight on the process directly.

Thank you so much @Faha for this list of schools! I will be using this to look more into the schools that were not already on my list, and I will consider adding them. For clarification, were you referring to both Westerns or did you only mean one of the locations? If so, did you mean Western U (CA) or Western U (OR)?
Both Westerns

I suggest:

TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except LA)
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
NOVA

• Care
Agree with Mr. Smile and Faha. You will need shadowing and should get a DO letter.

Apply DO and I suggest:

TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
NYIT-AR
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CHSU-COM
Western CA
Touro CA
KCOM (Kirksville)
Thank you @chilly_md for this list!

I suggest:

TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools except LA)
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
PNWU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
NOVA
And thank you @Goro for this list!

I appreciate the both of you very much. This information will be very helpful to have!

@HappyRabbit Hello! I hope that you are doing well. I was wondering if I could also get some insight from you on my candidacy and my school list (which I have already started editing based on the information stated by others above), as I have seen you post very thorough school list breakdowns and advice on some other threads. I do already plan to start accruing more shadowing hours but, if there is any other information or insight that you can provide, that would be very helpful. If not, then no worries at all! I just want to get as much information as possible before I delete the information on my thread. Thank you in advance!

@HappyRabbit Hello! I hope that you are doing well. I was wondering if I could also get some insight from you on my candidacy and my school list (which I have already started editing based on the information stated by others above), as I have seen you post very thorough school list breakdowns and advice on some other threads. I do already plan to start accruing more shadowing hours but, if there is any other information or insight that you can provide, that would be very helpful. If not, then no worries at all! I just want to get as much information as possible before I delete the information on my thread. Thank you in advance!
The feedback and school lists given so far in the thread are good; I would follow it. As far as things to add, you should start focusing on what your specific narrative is going to be come application time. Is there a particular cause that you care deeply about which aligns with all of your experiences? When an adcom reads your application, can they summarize who you are in 5 seconds - "the applicant that has a heavy focus on sports medicine, has a background in D1 soccer, volunteers in their community by setting up soccer camps, and doing XYZ"? From my experience, applicants who have this clearly established narrative are not only able to get more interviews but also have more substance to talk about during the interview, and the secondaries and personal essays are written better, which helps when converting an II into an A. If you do this then getting a DO acceptance should work out.

I don't think MD is possible with your stats - you would benefit from a retake if it's something you want to do but it has to be 510+. I agree with the school lists suggested thus far otherwise.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
The feedback and school lists given so far in the thread are good; I would follow it. As far as things to add, you should start focusing on what your specific narrative is going to be come application time. Is there a particular cause that you care deeply about which aligns with all of your experiences? When an adcom reads your application, can they summarize who you are in 5 seconds - "the applicant that has a heavy focus on sports medicine, has a background in D1 soccer, volunteers in their community by setting up soccer camps, and doing XYZ"? From my experience, applicants who have this clearly established narrative are not only able to get more interviews but also have more substance to talk about during the interview, and the secondaries and personal essays are written better, which helps when converting an II into an A. If you do this then getting a DO acceptance should work out.
I will be sure to work on that as well then. I have been trying to establish what my specific narrative will be, but I plan to dedicate more time to it once I finish my school list. Thank you so much!

• Care