WAMC; 3.68 GPA; 22 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothGod43

Reaction score
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some of the schools haven’t sent invites, or have sent just the first rounds.

Pause…take a deep breath. Your stats are good and I don’t see any obvious red flags. Everything is going to sort itself out. Interviews are mostly occurring in the next few months and people can get them even into December. Plenty of my classmates interviewed in November and December and beyond. Still not even halfway into the cycle just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the schools haven’t sent invites, or have sent just the first rounds.

Pause…take a deep breath. Your stats are good and I don’t see any obvious red flags. Everything is going to sort itself out. Interviews are mostly occurring in the next few months and people can get them even into December. Plenty of my classmates interviewed in November and December and beyond. Still not even halfway into the cycle just yet.
Thank u. I know being anxious will not do anything good for me lol. I have just been telling myself that I want that first interview to come through so that I know that my app is good and that I am good enough on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still do not have a single interview invite, and I am getting really nervous.

Date of submission: 6/20
Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.57
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA; 21 TS; 21 PAT; 20 Bio; 22 GC; 22 OC; 24 RC; 20 QR
State of Residence: Michigan
Undergrad Attended: Umich
Major: Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300 dental shadowing
Volunteering Experience: About 200
Employment: Currently a dental assistant during gap year; worked about 20 hours a week during Junior/Senior year
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Predental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: University honors every semester
LOR type and strength: 4 total; 3 science letters (2 of these should be very strong); 1 dentist letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None that I know of
School list:
Umich
Creighton
Marquette
OSU
Texas A&M (I know I probably should not have applied here)
UConn
Rutgers
Detroit Mercy
UNC
Pitt
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc.

Thank u. I know being anxious will not do anything good for me lol. I have just been telling myself that I want that first interview to come through so that I know that my app is good and that I am good enough on paper.
It can be frustrating seeing others with similar stats get interviews while you haven't. Starting now, you really want to try and focus on not comparing yourself to others, because it will only get worse in dental school if you let it. Try to take some time off SDN, once that first interview comes in, then start to trickle back online. It can be difficult, I know because I was just in your shoes. Trust the process, take a deep breath, and enjoy the time you have now, because come this time next year you're gonna be wishing you took more time for yourself. (I wish I did lol, but I'm loving D-school but it's def a lot - in a good way!)

But from what you have here, you don't have any red flags so that's good. It could be something else you don't have, or not. We never truly know. But for now, definitely just try to step back, maybe practice for some interviews or find a fun hobby you can do in school next year that isn't too time consuming. (cooking is a good one, I love cooking). Eveything that is meant to be, will be.

trust the process...

I still do not have a single interview invite, and I am getting really nervous.

Date of submission: 6/20
Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.57
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22 AA; 21 TS; 21 PAT; 20 Bio; 22 GC; 22 OC; 24 RC; 20 QR
State of Residence: Michigan
Undergrad Attended: Umich
Major: Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300 dental shadowing
Volunteering Experience: About 200
Employment: Currently a dental assistant during gap year; worked about 20 hours a week during Junior/Senior year
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Predental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: University honors every semester
LOR type and strength: 4 total; 3 science letters (2 of these should be very strong); 1 dentist letter
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None that I know of
School list:
Umich
Creighton
Marquette
OSU
Texas A&M (I know I probably should not have applied here)
UConn
Rutgers
Detroit Mercy
UNC
Pitt
your reaches are defs UNC (doesn't accept many OOS and likes research) and A&M (barely any OOS)
your stats are solid, but you should have been interacting with the UM DSchool over the last 4 years...

I agree it's too early to panic, but you also haven't shown us your application. I have no sense of your community service or desire to care for people who need help. What have you done on campus? Off campus?

If this is all in your application, I find nothing compelling to invite to to interview. You must have more...

I agree it's too early to panic, but you also haven't shown us your application. I have no sense of your community service or desire to care for people who need help. What have you done on campus? Off campus?

If this is all in your application, I find nothing compelling to invite to to interview. You must have more...
Thank you! Yeah I of course have more that I did not mention. I actually played a part in developing a small non profit for local athletes who are interested in bite guards. They come into office with the dentist who is helping me out and we make an affordable high-quality guard for various activities. Have gotten a lot of great experience in the dental lab with this. I am proud of this activity on my app so hopefully schools will as well. I have also volunteered at hospitals and had a job that took up most of my free time. I know that I should not be at the worry stage yet, but of course will always be nervous until I get some type of movement. Thanks for the response!

Thank you! Yeah I of course have more that I did not mention. I actually played a part in developing a small non profit for local athletes who are interested in bite guards. They come into office with the dentist who is helping me out and we make an affordable high-quality guard for various activities. Have gotten a lot of great experience in the dental lab with this. I am proud of this activity on my app so hopefully schools will as well. I have also volunteered at hospitals and had a job that took up most of my free time. I know that I should not be at the worry stage yet, but of course will always be nervous until I get some type of movement. Thanks for the response!
Great.

So no community service, then? Only if it has something to do with dentistry?

Last edited:
Yeah UNC was definitely my reach. Texas I applied to because of low tuiton, and I was looking at outdated stats in terms of their OOS admissions so definitely regret that one (but who knows right lol). I was in the predental association there so we would go to the dental school fairly often for presentations and such, but I do not think many undergrads actually had opportunity to get too involved. May be mistaken though in which case yes definitely a missed opportunity
oh, so you did attend events
did you get to meet with the admissions staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.