WAMC: 3.78 GPA, 20 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist2003

Reaction score
Date of submission: July 14th
Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.68
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.68
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA = 20, TS = 18, OC = 18 GC = 21, Bio = 20, RC/QC = 21, PA = 21
State of Residence: Arizona
Undergrad = Arizona State school
Major: Bio
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Graduating in 3 yrs, otherwise traditional
Shadowing Experience: 200 + hrs
Volunteering Experience: Fraternity Academic chair, as well as being the Philanthropy Chair in my frat and organizing event through the University, we did a 2 day toothbrush drive/teaching children about proper oral health, I think I listed a total of around 200hrs (3-4 hrs a week for a little of a year)
Employment: 1000 hours ie dental assistant two summers @ 16 weeks each
Research: I won a Public Service competition through the university at which I attend and it was published through our schools library, that being said, zero “lab research.”
Other Extracurriculars: member of pre dent club, golf club, frat
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Took a tour at UNLV as a freshman
Relevant Honors or Awards: Nominated for our college of science Undergrad bio major of the year, also was awarded as stated above, 1st place for competition regarding public oral health issues. Not a real accomplishment, but I won a golf tournament that a dentist invited me too, it consisted of 50ish dentists and myself.
Licensure: Also licensed for radiology/coronal polishing in state of Arizona
LOR type and strength: we don’t have a professional committee/advisory board. three stem professors, dentist, 3 of them are definitely strong, one of the teachers is likely just generic
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

Have two withdrawals, one from the first semester of freshman year after realizing I was taking a math course for engineering students. Another withdrawal was from an anatomy course due to personal reasons. Would have likely finished with a B. Because I’m graduating early I wanted to get as many pre-reqs as possible before the app was sent. Ended up taking 26 credits last semester and got a 3.9, (B in one course). I took 3 weeks to study for DAT in June. Should have taken longer, exhausted and tired. Got As in OCHEM 1 and 2 although DAT went poorly. Lastly, the only other issues I can think of is I still have to finish the physics requirement, and possibly my age as I was still 19 when I applied in July due to Late summer b-day + early graduation.

My final question is if I should retake the DAT as if I have to reapply I would think this semester is when I will have the most free time, as well as my chances for specifically public WICHE schools as those are going to be most financially viable.

School list:
I only have two interviews which I got fairly quickly after applying, 500k+ private schools. No absolute rejections, but lots of silence. I have done KIRA assessments for schools in which that's applicable and filled out 2nd apps. Since they confirmed they got my apps, I haven't heard much over the last month.

Interview - KCU
Interview - Midwestern -AZ - WICHE
A.T still - WICHE
Boston
Creighton
USC - WICHE
NYU
Oregon - WICHE
Roseman - WICHE
Colorado - WICHE
Connecticut
SIU - formerly an Illinois resident/graduated from Highschool in Illinois
UMKC
UNLV - WICHE
Utennesse

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Volunteering Experience: Fraternity Academic chair, as well as being the Philanthropy Chair in my frat and organizing event through the University, we did a 2 day toothbrush drive/teaching children about proper oral health, I think I listed a total of around 200hrs (3-4 hrs a week for a little of a year)
Research: I won a Public Service competition through the university at which I attend and it was published through our schools library, that being said, zero “lab research.”
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Took a tour at UNLV as a freshman
Relevant Honors or Awards: Nominated for our college of science Undergrad bio major of the year, also was awarded as stated above, 1st place for competition regarding public oral health issues. Not a real accomplishment, but I won a golf tournament that a dentist invited me too, it consisted of 50ish dentists and myself.
LOR type and strength: we don’t have a professional committee/advisory board. three stem professors, dentist, 3 of them are definitely strong, one of the teachers is likely just generic

Have two withdrawals, one from the first semester of freshman year after realizing I was taking a math course for engineering students. Another withdrawal was from an anatomy course due to personal reasons. Would have likely finished with a B. Because I’m graduating early I wanted to get as many pre-reqs as possible before the app was sent. Ended up taking 26 credits last semester and got a 3.9, (B in one course). I took 3 weeks to study for DAT in June. Should have taken longer, exhausted and tired. Got As in OCHEM 1 and 2 although DAT went poorly. Lastly, the only other issues I can think of is I still have to finish the physics requirement, and possibly my age as I was still 19 when I applied in July due to Late summer b-day + early graduation.

My final question is if I should retake the DAT as if I have to reapply I would think this semester is when I will have the most free time, as well as my chances for specifically public WICHE schools as those are going to be most financially viable.

School list:
I only have two interviews which I got fairly quickly after applying, 500k+ private schools. No absolute rejections, but lots of silence. I have done KIRA assessments for schools in which that's applicable and filled out 2nd apps. Since they confirmed they got my apps, I haven't heard much over the last month.

Interview - KCU
A.T still - WICHE
Boston
Creighton
USC - WICHE
NYU
Oregon - WICHE
Roseman - WICHE
Colorado - WICHE
Connecticut
UMKC
UNLV - WICHE
Utennesse
how was your ts only 18 when you had 20 bio and 21 GC?

For me: PSEP Institutions and Programs

Also SIU prefers applicants who did not grow up near Chicago, so I'm making sure. Otherwise you should apply to Midwestern Illinois and UIC. But you are trying to play the regional game, right?

As a result, your non-WICHE schools don't all make sense. UConn, UMKC, Oregon, and Tennessee are likely donations.

Withdrawals are not an issue. You got two interviews. Roll with it and see what happens. You are not guaranteed an offer if you bomb the interviews. Were your interviews with Kira programs? (Guessing one not yet, which would be Roseman.)

Members don't see this ad :)
To be technical, TS isn’t an average of the science scores. It’s a separate score that encompasses the total number of questions correct.

Though it does seem weird. I would have guessed a 19 or maybe a 20 TS
ok
got it
but aren't there twice as many bio questions as gc and oc?

ok
got it
but aren't there twice as many bio questions as gc and oc?
Yes, but it’s still a weighted average of all 100 questions. It’s possible it’s a typo. A 19 would make more sense but could have just been literally the difference of 1-2 questions wrong that was the difference between an 18 or 19TS

how was your ts only 18 when you had 20 bio and 21 GC?
That was a shock to me as well, based on my brief research and looking at the 2022-2023 DAT manual online, it appears that the TS section isn't an average of the sections like the AA but instead, it's determined based on how many questions you get out of 100. Referenced from the ADA directly "The Total Science scale score is based on a candidate's performance on the Survey of Natural Sciences section. The Total Science score is NOT the rounded average of a candidate's scale scores in Biology, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry."
Obviously was pretty horrendous luck.

Yes, but it’s still a weighted average of all 100 questions. It’s possible it’s a typo. A 19 would make more sense but could have just been literally the difference of 1-2 questions wrong that was the difference between an 18 or 19TS
I wish it was a typo.

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

School list:

Interview - KCU
A.T still - WICHE
Boston
Creighton
USC - WICHE
NYU
Oregon - WICHE
Roseman - WICHE
Colorado - WICHE
Connecticut
UMKC
UNLV - WICHE
Utennesse
like mr smile said, some of your schools don't make much sense geographically (although i disagree about ohsu)
you have a large a broad list, and no huge reaches other than the geographic ones
withdrawls and age isn't a huge issue
i think yours is mainly the DAT (TS)
hopefully, you will get more invites later in the cycle

also, note that WICHE is not automatic, just because you are in a WICHE state and get into a WICHE school does not mean you will get the scholly
it's a one-for-one trade between schools- someone in the state of the school you are entering has to get into a program in your state that is unavailable in their state...
you don't even find out until after you start your school that you are receiving WICHE $$$

For me: PSEP Institutions and Programs

Also SIU prefers applicants who did not grow up near Chicago, so I'm making sure. Otherwise you should apply to Midwestern Illinois and UIC. But you are trying to play the regional game, right?

As a result, your non-WICHE schools don't all make sense. UConn, UMKC, Oregon, and Tennessee are likely donations.

Withdrawals are not an issue. You got two interviews. Roll with it and see what happens. You are not guaranteed an offer if you bomb the interviews. Were your interviews with Kira programs? (Guessing one not yet, which would be Roseman.)
I have a large amount of family in Alton Illinois and for that reason, I figured I would apply. UConn, UMKC, and Tennessee also have some reasoning in regards to family, but I agree that its fairly unlikely. Oregon (OHSU) is one of the WICHE schools. KIRA assessments were with Roseman, USC, and NYU.

I didn't think it would be worth it to even apply to UCLA, UPacific, Washington or Utah just based off my DAT score being 2 points under avg.

Reactions: 1 users
My observation can be changed, but I think OHSU as liking PNW applicants, but they and UW seem very in-state heavy. (Again things might be different if the DSE says so. )

By the way, being 2 points below average isn't too concerning as long as it is not the lowest 5-10 percentile of the last few incoming classes.

My observation can be changed, but I think OHSU as liking PNW applicants, but they and UW seem very in-state heavy. (Again things might be different if the DSE says so. )

By the way, being 2 points below average isn't too concerning as long as it is not the lowest 5-10 percentile of the last few incoming classes.
Thanks, I would definitely agree that it's a long shot, I think I remember reading that 90% or so was instate. Is it still worth it to send an application to other PSEP schools?

Thanks, I would definitely agree that it's a long shot, I think I remember reading that 90% or so was instate. Is it still worth it to send an application to other PSEP schools?
You contacted all of those schools before applying, yes? I'm not familiar that you get any in-state advantages with WICHE. I never heard that claim before.

You contacted all of those schools before applying, yes? I'm not familiar that you get any in-state advantages with WICHE. I never heard that claim before.
I understand that there isn't a benefit as an Arizona resident, as I stated I think it's unlikely I would get into some of the state schools mentioned. I was wondering if it would still be worth it to send apps to other PSEP schools this late in the cycle with zero residence benefit, for example, Utah or if it would just be a "donation".

I understand that there isn't a benefit as an Arizona resident, as I stated I think it's unlikely I would get into some of the state schools mentioned. I was wondering if it would still be worth it to send apps to other PSEP schools this late in the cycle with zero residence benefit, for example, Utah or if it would just be a "donation".
there is benefit to being a non-resident at utah...

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

School list:

Interview - KCU
A.T still - WICHE
Boston
Creighton
USC - WICHE
NYU
Oregon - WICHE
Roseman - WICHE
Colorado - WICHE
Connecticut
UMKC
UNLV - WICHE
Utennesse
first, congrats on your interviews! that in itself is an accomplishment. next, I would retake the DAT only because after looking at your grades and how long you studied for the DAT you have the potential to DESTROY it 2nd time around. most people study for months and you only did 3 weeks and got the average score. round out your app by retaking and dedicating 6 weeks to the next attempt and you'll be picking whatever school you want. good luck!