WAMC (3.7, 3.6, ECs, etc.)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugstofunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Below are my stats. Not looking for school list, just yet. More interested in if you guys think I am either a weak, mediocre, or strong candidate for MD and DO programs. I plan to take my MCAT April 2019, so I do not have scores for you yet :( For gpa, I am waiting for the fall semester grades to be recorded, but I'm pretty sure I have a 4.0 this semester. Then, I have one more semester before (hopefully) applying. Bottom line, I think my GPA (both science and cumulative) will increase.

Race: Asian - Filipino
Residency: CA
University Type: 4-year State University
cGPA: 3.7-3.75 (unsure if I calculated it correctly)
sGPA: 3.6-3.66 (also unsure if I calculated it correctly)
Extracurriculars:
1. Research (4 years consecutive - 3 labs)
2. Clinical Volunteer (1.5 years)
3. Biology Assistant TA (1 semester - job)
4. Undergraduate Lab Assistant (1 year - job)
5. Co-Founder of a Non-Profit (3 years)
6. E-Board member for on-campus club (2 years)
7. ER Intern (1 semester)
8. Shadowing (2 physicians, 2 different semesters)
9. Retail Job (1 summer)
10. Potential research project with my lab (n/a hours)
11. Will scribe the summer I apply (I have a position secured)
12. Co-author of a meta-analysis abstract as a senior in high school. Won an award for it to be published. Does it count or should I scratch this?

Do you think I need other extra-curricular activities? If so, then what? I'm hoping to stay in CA, but will go anywhere. Thank you for your help! I look forward to reading your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there. Without an MCAT score it's a bit difficult to tell, but based on everything you've provided here, you're about an average applicant for MD schools and a strong applicant for DO schools (though the CA residency is tough).

I would definitely include the meta-analysis from high school as an abstract (because it's a tangible thing you can point to). I wouldn't worry about doing any more extracurriculars - at this point, the most important thing is your MCAT, so focus all of your efforts on that, and come back when you have your scores and we can help you with a school list. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user