WAMC- 3.72/3.58, 516 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicMeowth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. GPA: 3.72 cGPA / 3.58 sGPA- upward trend for sGPA; Biology major/Chemistry minor, Associate’s in Emergency Medical Technology (Licensed Paramedic)

2. MCAT: 516 (130/126/129/131)

3. State of Residence: Suburban South Texas resident, minutes from the port of entry into Mexico

4. Ethnicity: 1st generation Mexican-American from a low-income Spanish speaking household

5. Undergraduate Institution: Low-tier Texas Public School

6. Non-volunteer Clinical Experience: ~250 hours as an emergency department scribe, 2,645 hours as a licensed paramedic in a high-volume 911 service, ~500 hours as an advanced EMT in a low-volume 911 service, ~1,000 hours as an EMT-B in a medical transfer service / Continued Education: Prehospital trauma life support; Bleeding, trauma, traumatic airway management; Advanced cardiac life support; Pediatric advanced life support; Medical management of CBRNE events; flight physiology

7. Volunteer Clinical Experience: ~48 hours as a nursing home volunteer

8. Research Experience: 3 years (sophomore-senior) in a biochemistry lab performing biochemistry and computation chemistry techniques, 2D/3D NMR, docking simulations; two publications (Biomolecular NMR) (one based on my undergraduate honors thesis), multiple poster presentations and conferences, frequent lab meetings for presentation practice/feedback and discussion

9. Shadowing Experience: ~72 combined shadowing hrs in OR and family practice (disregarding scribing relevance)

10. Non-clinical Volunteering: Volunteer at my elementary school for start-of-school-year prep every summer, ~300 hrs

11. Other Extracurricular Activities: SGA senator-at-large- financial affairs committee secretary, general biology TA (one semester), Paramedic lab assistant (2 semesters, ongoing), High school student mentor and tutor for low-income schools (2 years), SMDEP at UNMC, member of several on-campus organizations

12. Relevant Honors or Awards: Two research grants, one honors college grant, three scholarships

13. Unlisted: I will be applying this upcoming cycle and will, therefore, have approximately 2 gap years during which I will be moving up as an adjunct paramedic instructor (starting Spring ‘19) and I am also attempting to secure a position in a flight-EMS service.

I will also be travelling to suburban Mexico to volunteer at a various (ranging from rural/poor to urban) hospitals; I’ve gotten my foot in the door as my uncle is a physician at a government hospital for the poor in Mexico.

I hope to one day be able to serve disadvantaged communities (as well as my own) through my passion for emergency medicine and dream of becoming a critical care surgeon.

14. Questions: Will my number of shadowing and clinical volunteering hours hurt my application?
---------------
School list:
1. Columbia
2. UCLA, Mt. Sinai, Case Western
3. Ohio State, Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Eintein, Hofstra, Univ. North Carolina
4. Creighton, New York Downstate, Virginia Commonwealth
5. All Texas schools (TMDSAS)
6. Georgetown, Rush

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
14. Questions: Will my number of shadowing and clinical volunteering hours hurt my application?
Nope

You need to aim a bit higher. Start list with WashU (you heard me) and radiate outwards. Of your list, I strongly recommend the ones in bold.
---------------
School list:
1. Columbia
3. Ohio State, Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Eintein, Hofstra, Univ. North Carolina
6. Georgetown, Rush[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope

You need to aim a bit higher. Start list with WashU (you heard me) and radiate outwards. Of your list, I strongly recommend the ones in bold.
---------------
School list:
1. Columbia
6. Georgetown, Rush
[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for the feedback, I will continue to fine tune the list!

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply anywhere.
Hi, my last post was over a year ago or so and you gave some excellent advice then. I'd like to thank you once again for your feedback

Is it reasonable for me to apply at schools where I'm below the 10th percentile GPA?

Hi, my last post was over a year ago or so and you gave some excellent advice then. I'd like to thank you once again for your feedback

Is it reasonable for me to apply at schools where I'm below the 10th percentile GPA?
Yes. You are an example of who gets admitted with below 10th% gpa.
I hope we get to interview you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your advice. I will stay optimistic and certainly hope so too!

Last edited:
Our guy's got
1) URM status; IIRC, Mexicans are considered URM.
2) Even if he's not considered URM, he's a first-generation college student who is fluent in Spanish and has tons of clinical exposure.
3) Good nonclinical volunteering.
4) Excellent ECs and a decent GPA with an upward trend.

Reactions: 1 user
Our guy's got
1) URM status; IIRC, Mexicans are considered URM.
2) Even if he's not considered URM, he's a first-generation college student who is fluent in Spanish and has tons of clinical exposure.
3) Good nonclinical volunteering.
4) Excellent ECs and a decent GPA with an upward trend.
They have everything a school could want.

Reactions: 1 users
go To UTSW or baylor and stay in Texas with the CHEAP tuition. (I’m biased). I’d recommend some hospice or other clinical volunteering just so you get some more patient interaction but it’s not necessary.

go To UTSW or baylor and stay in Texas with the CHEAP tuition. (I’m biased). I’d recommend some hospice or other clinical volunteering just so you get some more patient interaction but it’s not necessary.
They'll get scholarships OOS.

OP ought to apply to their Texas schools plus about ten top-20s that interest them. They're a solid top-20 applicant for sure.