WAMC 3.78 507

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sosayitditto

Reaction score
First-time applicant here. I applied to 19 MD schools this cycle and currently don’t have any II’s so far (3 R’s and 1 pre-II-hold). I do think the low MCAT score (507) and competitive school list are the biggest factors but I just wanted to seek advice. Here were my stats for the primary application:
  • CA Traditional Low-income ORM (graduated 2022)
  • T20 Biology major
  • 3.78 cGPA (3.68 sGPA), 507 MCAT (128/124/127/128)
  • 2 Clinical research presentations
  • 1 gap year working as a medical assistant
  • 30 hours of Physician shadowing
  • 400 Clinical research hours
  • 20+ Private Scholarships
  • 150 Clinical volunteer hours
  • 1000 Non-clinical volunteer hours
  • Part-time server and tutor jobs
  • School list (All CA schools & urban MD Schools on the East Coast/Chicago)
  • LOR (Physicians that I work for, close science professor, research PI, science & non-sci professor)

Currently:
  • Second gap year working as an MA
  • Working on 3 publications in a clinical research lab (First authorship, Second authorship, and 4th/5th authorship)
  • Considering the MCAT retake in Spring
All feedback is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing! I'm a first-time applicant. Based on the primary application, here it is:
  1. 3.78 cGPA (3.68 sGPA)
  2. 507 MCAT (128/124/127/128) -> Taken April 2023
  3. CA/Permanent Resident
  4. Asian
  5. T20 Public School (Community College Transfer) - Class of 2022 with a degree in Biology
  6. 1500 hours as a Medical Assistant, 120 hours of Hospital volunteering, & 50 hours on a medical mission trip to Latin America.
    1. I am still working as an MA.
  7. 350 hours of COVID-19 Clinical Research, 2 poster presentations
    1. I recently submitted a paper to a journal as a Co-First author which requested minor edits.
    2. Working on one second authored paper and another fifth authored paper
  8. 30 hours of Shadowing <Internal Medicine>, 100+ hours Shadowing as an MA <Urology>
  9. 2000 hours serving my local church with mostly first-generation Korean elderly congregation (worship team, serving food, cleaning tables)
  10. Summer Tutor for elementary students. In-person Tutor/Supervisor elementary students who had no daytime supervision due to school lockdowns. Server/waiter for three restaurants.
  11. 20+ Private Scholarships: I was ineligible for financial aid/loans and had to search for private scholarships to fund my first three years of undergraduate education.
  12. Extensively lived in three different countries (7 years in Korea, 8 years in India, 8 years in the US). Low-income family. I had to decline my college acceptance offers due to poor financial status leading me to attend a community college. Bilingual (Korean & English). Financial contribution to the family from high school to college.
[EDIT]
School List:
Albert Einstein
Rush
Cooper Rowan
Rosalind Franklin
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCR
UCD
CUSM
Keck USC
Sidney Kimmel
Temple
Stony Brook
Drexel
Tufts
UChicago
Boston University

Last edited:
I see 5 or 6 schools where you might receive an interview with a MCAT of 507. If no success this cycle come back here in May and we can suggest a better list of schools. Also include DO schools if you reapply.

I see 5 or 6 schools where you might receive an interview with a MCAT of 507. If no success this cycle come back here in May and we can suggest a better list of schools. Also include DO schools if you reapply.
Thank you so much! When do you think is a good time to consider retaking the MCAT if I do not receive any II's?

When did your submit your application? How did you come up with your list? Did you talk to financial aid officers at the schools before applying, if you have had a history of not receiving much financial aid before?

When did your submit your application? How did you come up with your list? Did you talk to financial aid officers at the schools before applying, if you have had a history of not receiving much financial aid before?
Primary verified early July. 2/3 Secondaries submitted July and 1/3 submitted August. I received CUSM's secondary last month and plan to submit it soon.

Regarding the school list, location was probably my most important factor. Since medical school is four years, I felt that I wanted to spend this time in a diverse environment where I get to encounter people from different backgrounds.

For financial aid, I was a legal resident but was ineligible for federal financial aid/loans due to my immigration status. I did communicate to the adcoms regarding my financial issue and was able to receive extra grants but was still a big burden.