MD WAMC? 3.78 GPA, 519 MCAT (unbalanced)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.leo_spaceman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm planning to apply next cycle, but I'd appreciate any advice/insight on improving my chances!
  1. 3.78 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA
  2. 519 MCAT (132/131/130/126), only took once
  3. NY resident
  4. ORM (Asian)
  5. Top 30 institution
  6. Clinical experience: working as EMT-B since January 2017 (probably will have around 450 hours by June), volunteered for one semester in clinic for underserved (10 hours), hospice volunteer (starting in October, probably around 60 hours by June)
  7. Non-clinical volunteering: tutored in SAT math at local high school for students with financial difficulties (160 hours), developed outreach program for students at local high school through my research lab (30 hours)
  8. Research experience: researcher in chemistry lab since summer of 2015, two expected publications by June (third author) and maaaybe one first author (not counting on this, but would be nice!), 4 poster presentations, including 2 at national conferences
  9. Shadowing experience: 20 hours of neuro-ophthalmology, 5 hours at colorectal dept in hospital, 6 hours at internal medicine dept in hospital (will be doing additional shadowing throughout this year, I know this isn't a lot)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Chemistry lab TA, mentored other undergraduate students in my lab to help them with research, mathematics dept homework grader
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Scholarship at university, research awards (probably nothing too selective/crazy though)
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: probably not important, but math major/film minor (don't have any IA, felony charges, etc)
Idk if I have any red flags, but I know my shadowing hours are on the low end so I'm working to build that up. Currently interested in applying MD. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest all these schools for a preliminary list:
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
You can add OOS schools that appeal to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest all these schools for a preliminary list:
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
You can add OOS schools that appeal to you.
Thanks! Are there any aspects of my application that are weak, besides shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. You mentioned military service. What was your military service?
Oh, I didn't mean to say I had participated in military service, I just copied one of the formats for WAMC threads and that was one of the possible options to list for ECs.

Also, do I have enough volunteer hours? The majority of my time is spent in research, so it's hard to balance that with a ton of ECs, but since I have 9 months to add to this, I can always try to get some more hours somewhere