WAMC? 3.79 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 501 MCAT, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousandconfused

Reaction score
Hi! I'm an Asian female from New York with a cGPA of 3.79, sGPA of 3.6, and just graduated in May. I submitted my AMCAs for review back in July and my AACOMAS is verified. I just got my MCAT score back last week and I unfortunately scored lower than expected with a 501 (123/126/124/128). I have testing anxiety and was scoring slightly higher on my FLs. I'm wondering if I should continue with this application cycle or retake my exam in January and wait another year. Ideally I would like to apply this cycle due to not wanting to take 2 gaps years, but would also like to go to a mid/high-tier DO school or low-tier MD school. I'm worried that with my score I wouldn't have a chance anywhere really, especially because of the <125 hard science sub-sections. Basically, is there a chance for acceptance into a decent school? If so, what are those options? Thank you!

For further reference. I will be scribing full-time starting next month, have a fairly strong personal statement, am waiting on a committee letter from my school, leadership in several school organizations that encompass non-clinical volunteering (including being co-founder of one), have public health internship experience, about 300 hours of clinical volunteering, 500 hours of research (resulted in my senior thesis), and was a TA.

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at DO schools and I suggest all these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UNECOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA

You could receive interviews at DO schools and I suggest all these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UNECOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA

I was interested in NYIT (in New York), Touro (all schools), and MSU, would you say there is a chance at these if I write my app well, or will I most likely be screened out?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU accept few non residents and you should also check out their tuition for non residents. You could try both Touro-NY and NYITCOM but your chances are much better at the schools I listed.

MSU accept few non residents and you should also check out their tuition for non residents. You could try both Touro-NY and NYITCOM but your chances are much better at the schools I listed.

I understand, thank you! I'm assuming MD schools, even in-state ones are out of the question?