WAMC 3.8/512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some school list suggestions + thoughts on if I should apply DO. Thanks!

Stats
cGPA: 3.8, sGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 512
Residency: NC
Undergraduate: UNC (electrical engineering major)
Extracurriculars:
- Research: 1500 hours in pathology research, 1 poster presentation.
- Research: 350 hours, neurology research
- Clinical employment: hospital, 1000 hours
- Clinical employment: doctors office, 200 hours
- Clinical Volunteering: EMT, 400 hours
- Nonclinical Employment: Electrical engineer for health-tech company, 500 hours
- Nonclinical volunteering: Habitat for humanity, 100 hours
- Nonclinical volunteering: Set up tutoring program for 150 kids
- Shadowing: 5 specialties, 200 hours total

Current school list:
ECU Brody
UNC
Wake forest
Albany
Drexel
Hofstra
MCW
NYMC
Nova Southeastern MD
Seton hall
U Miami
UC Riverside
VCU
VTech
EVMS
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne state
GWU
Maryland
SKMC

Members don't see this ad.

Remove UC Riverside since they admit very few non residents with no connection to that region of CA.
Oh, sorry, I forgot that my mother's family lives near the university and my uncle went to undergrad there.
@Goro @LizzyM
Would really appreciate some input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, sorry, I forgot that my mother's family lives near the university and my uncle went to undergrad there.
@Goro @LizzyM
Would really appreciate some input!
Your family connections aren't going to matter unless your uncle went on to become the dean of UCR med school. If your state of residence is not CA and you don't have a zip code in the Imperial Valley, you are likely to be booted out of the queue forthwith. It's your money but I would hope you might have better things to spend it on. (Donate it to SDN...)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all, I'm looking for some school list suggestions + thoughts on if I should apply DO. Thanks!

Current school list:
ECU Brody
UNC
Wake forest
Albany
Drexel
Hofstra
MCW
NYMC
Nova Southeastern MD
Seton hall
U Miami
VCU
EVMS
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne state
GWU
SKMC
My mods to your list above.

Add: East TN/Quillan IF you're from the region bordering TN.
NETTER
TUFTS
NYU.LI
TCU.UNT
ROSY FRANKLIN
LOYOLA
TULANE
U MIAMI
RUSH

for DO, add some if you get no love from MD by October. Suggest CUSOM, ACOM, ALL VCOMS except LA, WCU, KYCOM, PCOM, LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
Agrees, noting your listing of employment with a health tech company. We'll see if they take a shot.
I don’t want to go to carle because they require engineering involvement/projects - I want a more traditional med school education.

Also, I’m getting a first author publication in neurology (just accepted) in a journal with an impact factor of 4.1. Does that change anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user