WAMC 3.81/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reinforced

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, this might not matter as my GPA is fine, I think, but I do have an upward trend. I had like a 3.2 after Freshman year.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
USF Morsani
Georgetown
Jefferson
Hofstra
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply; I'll definitely add Hofstra, Georgetown, and W Michigan.

Hi guys, I've had some difficulty creating a schools list. I'm currently too worried it's top-heavy and lacking in the mid-tier/safety schools. Anyways, without further ado.

1. 518: 129, 128, 131, 130
2. 3.81
3. Missouri
4. White and male
5. I attend a state school
6. By the time I send out my primary in June, I'll have spent around 800 hours working as a tech/CNA at the hospital, an additional 400 hours as a home health aide, and I've spent 150 hours on the ambulance to obtain my EMT license (that I'm honestly not sure if I should include...) As far as clinical volunteering goes, I've volunteered at the VA as a patient transporter for about 200 hours, and I've volunteered at a pro-bono primary care clinic for another 100 hours. I intend to continue working as a tech and volunteering at the VA over the Summer and into my gap year.
7. I've spent close to 2,000 hours in a research lab, one middle author pub and another currently in review, + a couple of posters. I also spent around 400-500 hours working at a lab that did Covid testing, which I suppose falls under research. However, if someone more aware of the application process thinks it fits better in another category, I'm all ears :).
8. 64 hours: Gastroenterologist: 8 Ophthalmologist: 8 Neurologist: 16 General/Critical care Surgeon: 16 Interist: 8 Psychiatrist: 8
9. My main involvement has been as a crisis counselor on the phone line and text line; I've volunteered around 500 hours on it. My other significant volunteering experience was as a site leader for volunteer trips over Thanksgiving breaks; I organized two trips for about 200 hours (One was RMHC, and another was a state park clean-up). I've done other unsustained activities like food pantry volunteering, but I likely won't mention them.
10. I worked as a chem tutor for about a year (400 hours), I've worked on a scientific literacy project targeted towards middle schoolers with a professor, about 100 hours, and I played club rugby as a Freshman.
11. Nothing really of note, just like research grants and an honor society
12. My GF got into UC Berkeley for law school and will be attending in the Fall. I intend to move to SF and work at a hospital/volunteer for about a year, amongst other things. Is that a strong enough tie to the area that the UCs would acknowledge it? Given this plan works out, of course; It's not super important, but I figured I'd at least ask.
13. LOR should be good, and I should have a fairly compelling story for my PS; super hard to gauge myself, but that's the feedback I've gotten from my professors so far.

Here's my tentative list:

NYU
Columbia
U of Chicago
Wash U (Stl)
JH
Yale
Harvard
UCSF
Northwestern
Boston
Sinai
Case
Stanford
Duke
Mayo
USC
Pitt
Kaiser
Michigan
UCLA
Einstein
SLU
UMKC
Mizzou
KU

Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it's critical. I know I might be a pretty big reach, stats-wise, at some of those schools, but I want to give myself at least a puncher's chance! Thank you.
ADD:
USF Morsani
Jefferson
Hofstra
Western Michigan
U AR
U VM
UCSF
U VM
U MI
UTxSW
Baylor
Vandy
Emory
Tufts
U ILL
U IA
U VA

ADD:
USF Morsani
Jefferson
Hofstra
Western Michigan
U AR
U VM
UCSF
U VM
U MI
UTxSW
Baylor
Vandy
Emory
Tufts
U ILL
U IA
U VA
Even Baylor and UTxSW? I thought they had a strong in-state preference, otherwise I would’ve added them!

<<I also spent around 400-500 hours working at a lab that did Covid testing. ...>>>

What did you do working in the lab? Helping you if this is "research" or whatever.

I suppose you can see about alternatives in the Bay Area if you want to be close to the SO/GF. There are tons of research options even for a year. As for hospital experience and volunteering for a year, yeah, you have options that will help your application (2024) if you wish to stay in the Bay.

Of course, learn how to be frugal if you live there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Okay I’ll be somewhat contrarian and say that if you’re going to apply to that many high reaches, you need to add more volume to the mid and low portions of your list

All of the following are significant reaches imo
NYU
Columbia
U of Chicago
Wash U (Stl)
JH
Yale
Harvard
UCSF
Northwestern
Mayo
Duke
Stanford
Sinai
Kaiser (~15% post II acceptance rate)

Don’t get me wrong, 518 is a solid score, but it’s not 5 years ago. Coupled with a GPA that is solid, but not from a feeder school, and I think the above schools will be very difficult without a significant hook (ex. Nature publication, military officer, varsity athlete etc.)

By all means apply, but you need to expand your list if you apply to these.

<<I also spent around 400-500 hours working at a lab that did Covid testing. ...>>>

What did you do working in the lab? Helping you if this is "research" or whatever.

I suppose you can see about alternatives in the Bay Area if you want to be close to the SO/GF. There are tons of research options even for a year. As for hospital experience and volunteering for a year, yeah, you have options that will help your application (2024) if you wish to stay in the Bay.

Of course, learn how to be frugal if you live there.
I was a technician so I did pretty mundane stuff, like make wash plates, help pipette samples, and prep samples. It was basically an industry job.

I’m applying this cycle, but I appreciate your comments. I intend to be busy despite not being in school!

Thank you.

Okay I’ll be somewhat contrarian and say that if you’re going to apply to that many high reaches, you need to add more volume to the mid and low portions of your list

All of the following are significant reaches imo
NYU
Columbia
U of Chicago
Wash U (Stl)
JH
Yale
Harvard
UCSF
Northwestern
Mayo
Duke
Stanford
Sinai
Kaiser (~15% post II acceptance rate)

Don’t get me wrong, 518 is a solid score, but it’s not 5 years ago. Coupled with a GPA that is solid, but not from a feeder school, and I think the above schools will be very difficult without a significant hook (ex. Nature publication, military officer, varsity athlete etc.)

By all means apply, but you need to expand your list if you apply to these.
I agree, especially amongst the top portion of that list, which was why I was looking for additional mid-tiers. I see your point regarding NYU-JH as their mcat averages are 521+. However, there are schools on that list with averages in the 518-520 range that I thought were more in my target range. I appreciate your advice.

He's what you'd call pack fodder at schools like Harvard. He doesn't stand out among that crowd; to do so, he'd need something like having been a military officer or having a substantial research portfolio or something like that. That said, he's got a shot. He should have his state schools on his list and then 8-12 mid-tier schools.

Even Baylor and UTxSW? I thought they had a strong in-state preference, otherwise I would’ve added them!
The median numbers for 2021 cycle OOS applicants who got interviewed at TMDSAS schools are 3.86 and 514.7
About 1785 OOS applied, 478 were interviewed, 130 were accepted and 129 matriculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.