WAMC: 3.87 GPA 518 MCAT TX ORM

Started by iuihiub
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iuihiub

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cGPA: 3.87 sGPA: 3.85 (strong upward trend from freshman year)

MCAT: 518 (129/130/129/130) (One attempt)

Residency: Texas (TMDSAS)

ORM

Undergrad: Junior

Honors: National Merit Scholar

Clinical experience: ~1,000 hrs (400 hrs ED Scribe + 600 hrs Medical Assistant)

Bench Research (Physical and Organic Chemistry): ~500 hrs (2 co-authored publications in high-impact Chemistry journals)

Research (Humanities): ~300 hrs (Independent research project; IRB approved; Grant proposal currently in process)

Shadowing: ~50 hrs (Multi-specialty)

Non-clinical volunteering: ~200 hrs (Crisis Text Line / Online Crisis Volunteer)

Other extracurricular activities: Pre-health Men's Society; Peer Tutoring; intramural sports.

Institutional Action (Detailed): Academic integrity violation (complicity/similarity) during first semester of freshman year. For a Chemistry lab assignment, I shared my lecture notes with a friend. We drafted our lecture essays using the same set of notes, resulting in submissions with high thematic and structural similarity. I took full responsibility and completed all university-mandated remediation. I ended the specific course with an A and have never been on academic probation. This does not appear on my official transcript, but is maintained in the university’s internal conduct record. I will be fully disclosing this on all TMDSAS/AMCAS applications.

School List:

  • TMDSAS: All Texas MD and DO programs (UTSW, Baylor, McGovern, Long, A&M, TTUHSC, TCOM, etc.)
  • AMCAS: Broad range of mid-to-high tier MDs (Not sure, Advice would be appreciated)
I was mainly wondering how impactful this IA would be on my application and how TMDSAS schools in particular would view an academic dishonesty IA like mine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Welcome to the forums.

Your non-clinical community service involving Crisis Text Line counseling has limited value because it is not face-to-face contact that demonstrates service orientation: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. You must have 150 hours when submitting your application, or it may be screened out.
 
Thank you so much. I will definitely work to get more face-to-face contact in my volunteering, probably through a local food bank. Any other words of advice, namely regarding my IA? I'm mainly concerned about the weight of the IA and how I can mitigate a first-semester freshman mistake.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you read

How long will this transgression remain documented by your student conduct office? What advice have they given you about writing about your IA? How about your prehealth advisors?
 
They confirmed the internal record is maintained indefinitely, so I will be fully disclosing it on all applications. Their primary advice, which my mentors have echoed, is to clearly own the mistake without making excuses and demonstrate the specific ways I have grown since that freshman-year incident. Since then, I've focused on being diligent with academic and professional standards, which has allowed me to successfully move forward in an ethics research project, do more non-clinical volunteering, join the honor council, and maintain high standards in my clinical roles.
 
Thank you for the guidance so far. Given that I’m moving forward with full disclosure and focusing on in-person service, I’m starting to refine my school list. Are there specific TMDSAS or out-of-state schools known for being particularly holistic regarding these types of IA's? I want to make sure my list is realistic but still a little ambitious.
 
Thank you for the guidance so far. Given that I’m moving forward with full disclosure and focusing on in-person service, I’m starting to refine my school list. Are there specific TMDSAS or out-of-state schools known for being particularly holistic regarding these types of IA's? I want to make sure my list is realistic but still a little ambitious.
Can't you apply to "all" TMDSAS schools? It's one fee for as many (relevant) programs that you select.

Didn't you reach out to schools by attending recruitment events they hosted (on campus or online) to inform you when you submit your application? TMDSAS has video interviews with every admissions representative from all of their programs.

Schools have their processes to review your IA's that do not bias entire admissions committee. "Holistic review" is about determining how aligned your profile and purpose are with each program's educational vision for their classes.
 
Thank you for the guidance so far. Given that I’m moving forward with full disclosure and focusing on in-person service, I’m starting to refine my school list. Are there specific TMDSAS or out-of-state schools known for being particularly holistic regarding these types of IA's? I want to make sure my list is realistic but still a little ambitious.
I believe UCLA will screen out applicants with any IA pre-secondary
It's naiive to think that some schools will not care as much. You will have to discuss it maturely in your application in the space allotted for IAs and see where the chips fall for you.