WAMC - Non-trad, low GPA applicant, TX ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

consistencywin

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I'm just trying to figure out what is best for my situation right now.

Undergrad cGPA/sGPA: 2.92/2.78
DIY postbacc: 3.76 ( 25 credits upper-level science courses)
After postbacc cGPA/sGPA: 3.1/2.99
Clinical experience: 1,300 hrs (scribe in ER), 600 hrs ( eye clinic and cardiology clinic)
Leadership: 250 hrs in 2 different orgs ( VP, Treasurer, Social Chair). 50 hrs as an undergrad TA for a lab.
Volunteer: 90 hrs non-clinical, 50 hrs clinical through student orgs.
MCAT: I have not taken the MCAT yet but I plan to take it soon.

I didn't do well during my undergrad due to health, family issues, and financial issues (first-gen and low-income). After graduating, I became more disciplined and learned how to balance my work and school schedule. I did apply to the SMP program this year hoping to fix my low GPA but got rejected. I'm planning to do another 1 yr DIY postbacc but instead of taking upper science courses at my university, I'm thinking of retaking all the Cs prerequisites at a CC. But I've heard some people say that med schools don’t like students taking courses at a CC. Is that true? The reason I'm planning to take classes at a CC is the cost. Because I spent so much this year on the diy post bacc at my university. And I'm planning to get more volunteer hrs and hopefully get some shadowing experience ( since I haven't had any yet).

Should I retake the courses at a CC and then reapply to the SMP next year? I want to stay in TX for med school because of my financial situation. I know TX schools tend to like applicants with higher GPAs. But if I do well on the MCAT, do you think I still have a chance at any TX med schools? Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!