WAMC-3.9 and 522 MCAT NY resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakepremed212

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am applying to med school this cycle and am a little nervous since I am not planning on taking a gap year! I really need help with my school list bc I keep on emailing my pre-health advisor and im p sure they are getting sick of me.

1. cGPA: 3.90 sGPA: 3.92
  2. MCAT: 522
  3. State of residence: New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergrad: Private Research in Mid Atlantic-Molecular Biology Major and History Major
  6. Clinical experience: Volunteer in one emergency room at home and one at school-250 hours total
  7. Research: 550 hours of cell biology research with a poster but no publication. 150 hours and more this summer clinical research on fusogens and spinal cord fusion-chapter in review at the end of May
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: roughly 500 because of a summer program I did last summer-Ortho, Cardiac surgery, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatric ICU, Plastic Surgery, Neurology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: im a campus tour guide for my school-50 hours, and I tutor at a local middle school leading labs for 6th grade girls in order to get them interested in STEM
  10. Other extracurricular activities: im president of the horse back riding club at my school and participate in IHSA collegiate competitions so this takes up a lot of time; Student Advisory Council for my History Major where we work on creating programming events and bringing speakers to campus
  11. Relevant honors or awards: just deans list. also im writing a thesis this upcoming semester but idk if that matters?
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I really want to go into emergency medicine and go to school in california but I know thats probably unrealistic given the fact that im not from there.
Stanford
Hopkins
UCSF
UCSD
Penn
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Duke
Ucla
NYU
Cornell
Mt sinai
Emory
Usc keck
Dartmouth
Einstein
Stony brook
Uvm
SUNY downstate
GWU
Georgetown
Brown
U Miami
Northwestern
University of Pitt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list of schools doesn't convince me you want to go to school in California. (That in and of itself is another point of discussion.)

I think the only thing that sticks out is the non-clinical community service volunteering. I don't know what you've done to show your willingness to immerse yourself in the concerns of vulnerable populations in the US. You also have a lot of ER experience (not sure what specialties your shadowed, but I'm going on your hours), so I'm not sure what exactly to think about it. However, your GPA/MCAT metrics will make you desirable to many of your top tier schools (no guarantees of course). So as usual, stick with your in-state programs and desirable privates with whom you have strong networking with current students and admissions staff.

do you think it will hurt that I have clinical volunteer experience only in the ED? Also, is there any schools you think I should add/subtract from my list

I’m just an applicant so defer to the faculty on here but I’ve found that a lot of the EM programs have a focus on underserved communities which I think is primarily because a lot of underserved communities don’t have great access to longitudinal health care so you see this population a lot in the ED. From your application it doesn’t seem like you have a lot of experience volunteering with underserved populations, particularly in a a clinical capacity. I don’t know, that could potentially cause a problem. Just some food for thought when you think about how you will present your application narrative.

Reactions: 1 users