MD WAMC: 3.9 GPA, 518 MCAT, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mraz_Pride

Reaction score
Thanks for looking at my post :)

GPA:
cGPA=3.91, sGPA=3.9 (To this day, I facepalm at how I don't have an "upward trend" in GPA because of a B I got in my last semester LOL)
MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
518 (C/P: 130, CARS: 126, B/B: 130, P/S: 132)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
Florida
Ethnicity and/or race:
Asian, male

Undergraduate institution or category

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
- 1000 hours as pathology associate (worked full time, night shift for medical lab and phlebotomist)

Research experience and productivity:
- 2000 hours as research associate in medicine (1 poster presentation, 1 publication where I'm towards the middle, 2 other posters that I co-authored). CURRENT JOB
- 80 hours in nanomaterials chemistry
- 160 hours in biophysics

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  1. 40 hours pulmonologist
  2. 12 hours ENT
  3. 6 hours CRNA (would you count this for anesthesia..?)

Non-clinical volunteering:

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):

Relevant honors or awards:
  1. PBK
  2. Merit scholarship from hospital system (as a dependent of healthcare worker)

Anything else not listed you think might be important:

School List:
(Given my stats and demographics, I feel too optimistic with the T10 schools, but I'll shoot my shot)

Columbia
Chicago
UPenn
Yale
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
UPitt
Northwestern
Case Western
Mayo
Einstein
Hofstra
UVA
Ohio State
UM Miller
Hackensack
FIU
USF Morsani
UC
UF
FAU
NOVA
FSU
Brown
BU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BS Microbio (additional major in Chem if that matters
So why aren't you getting a BS in chemistry? Just say it.

1000 hours as pathology associate
... I am applying to one school with an accelerated pathway.
What are you interested in doing?How does your clinical experience help us know this interest?

Non-clinical volunteering: please re-enter your activities where you had direct interaction with people in need such as clothes or food distribution or housing rehabilitation. How have you gone outside your comfort zone with these activities? Otherwise it sounds like leadership.

You don't need to give up music.

I am missing a clear mission fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't list the CRNA shadowing. Did your path associate experience involve interacting with patients?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So why aren't you getting a BS in chemistry? Just say it.

What are you interested in doing?How does your clinical experience help us know this interest?

Non-clinical volunteering: please re-enter your activities where you had direct interaction with people in need such as clothes or food distribution or housing rehabilitation. How have you gone outside your comfort zone with these activities? Otherwise it sounds like leadership.

You don't need to give up music.

I am missing a clear mission fit.
Thanks for the response :)

To clarify, I graduated in 2021. Honestly, the additional major in chemistry was a late decision in my undergrad to switch majors from Chemistry to Microbio since I was uninterested in upper level chemistry courses past physical chemistry. I had taken enough courses in the major to graduate with what would have been equivalently a BA.

In terms of my interests, I am currently exploring specialties through shadowing. Radiology is the first specialty that comes to mind because of my exposure to different physicians that I've shadowed reading and interpreting scans, however confirming this interest is still a glaring deficiency I will address leading into this cycle.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding with non-clinical volunteering! I can't think of any significant and sustained experiences aside from serving at a charity kitchen within a Christian group intermittently. Other volunteering I've done would be the alternative spring break trips (i.e. restoring shelters, landscaping for inner city learning center), but those were contact limited due to the pandemic. The closest thing I would have currently would be the TA position as the school I taught at was an under-resourced school. It would be interesting to expand on this using music.

Don't list the CRNA shadowing. Did your path associate experience involve interacting with patients?
Thanks for the response :)

Noted.

Yes, I would be doing blood draws in the early AM in the hospital floors. That would be 20-30 patients a night, and I write significantly about this job in my PS because specific patients I met reinforced the importance to treat the patient with much respect and to desire their consolation that would give them more peace as they experience a difficult time in their life.

I suggest:

All FL schools
Columbia
Cornell
Penn
NYU
Mt Sinai
UPitt
Northwestern
Case Western
Mayo
Einstein