DO WAMC? An extremely average applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O. only please

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe that I am limited to D.O. schools only by my stats.

They are as follows:
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 504 (125/127/125/127)

EC's:
~200 hours of shadowing (100 M.D., 100 D.O.)
~500 hours of non-clinical volunteering
~700 hours of clinical-volunteering
Multiple leadership positions
3 semesters of undergraduate research (2 publications in non-undergraduate journals)
Good LOR's (can acquire a really good LOR from a D.O. who is also an alumni of my dream school - OSUCOM (Oklahoma State University College of Medicine)).

I understand that my stats are extremely average, probably even below average, but I'm not trying to attend a prestigious medical school by any means. I know my limits, and it's always been my dream to be a rural general practice physician.

Do you think I can be accepted into a school this cycle? If necessary, I can take a gap year (I'm only a junior at the moment) or retake the MCAT. I would, however, prefer not to if I even have a shot this cycle.

I'm currently looking to apply to:
OSUCOM
ARCOM
BCOM

Any advice on what to do this cycle or help with my school list help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot some crucial information.
1) Oklahoma resident
2) Asian-American (Chinese)
3) Should I apply to my only other in-state school (OUMED)? It is an M.D. program, but I do, however, have that resident advantage. My stats are still below its average though (I think it was 507, 3.7 last cycle).

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for the majority of DO schools so you can apply this summer. You should apply to more schools so consider these:
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ACOM
WCU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM

@Faha Thank you very much for the quick response! I will most definitely add your suggested schools to my list.

If you don't mind, I would also like to inquire your opinion on the question edited in (the one about applying to OUMED - my state M.D. school). Do you think it's a complete waste of time to even fill out the AMCAS and try for the M.D. school(s)? Or should I just stay solely on the D.O. route.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha Thank you very much for the quick response! I will most definitely add your suggested schools to my list.

If you don't mind, I would also like to inquire your opinion on the question edited in (the one about applying to OUMED - my state M.D. school). Do you think it's a complete waste of time to even fill out the AMCAS and try for the M.D. school(s)? Or should I just stay solely on the D.O. route.
It would be worth applying to your state MD school. You are near the 10% percentile for GPA and MCAT but you could receive an interview.

@Goro I'm fairly new here, but I've been looking around and I've noticed you give extremely tough but honest advice. I hope you don't mind me tagging you to get your input on my situation this cycle.

Are there any other D.O. schools you would recommend in addition to the list that Faha (thanks again!) already provided? And also, what are your thoughts about me even filling out the AMCAS and sending an app to a few M.D. programs? Thanks.

@Goro I'm fairly new here, but I've been looking around and I've noticed you give extremely tough but honest advice. I hope you don't mind me tagging you to get your input on my situation this cycle.

Are there any other D.O. schools you would recommend in addition to the list that Faha (thanks again!) already provided? And also, what are your thoughts about me even filling out the AMCAS and sending an app to a few M.D. programs? Thanks.
I think you're fine for any DO school, including mine. I agree 100% with my learned colleague about applying to U OK as well.

For other MD schools, these are in striking idstance:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany

@Goro @Faha Sorry for such a delayed response; I am currently finishing up my finals. I wish to consult you two one final time before I apply.

I have compiled my final list. There were many other D.O. schools I would've liked to apply to, but I am limited financially, so I limited to schools around my region I can reach via my car.

Here it is:
M.D.
University of Oklahoma
Creighton
Saint Louis University (this is also my undergraduate institution, and I heard they give preference to their undergraduate students; still a reach though)

D.O.
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Technology - Arkansas
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

What do you guys think? Is this list good enough to get some II's and potentially some acceptances? Am I missing some schools around the mid-west/south region? Thanks again!

You have a good list and should receive several DO interviews. The MD schools on your list are appropriate with your stats.

I apologize for reviving such an old thread, but I would like to provide a quick update. I also now need help making a decision between schools, but I will post that in the appropriate forum.

I also hope that this thread may be of use to future applicants with similar stats.

By the way, I would like to extend my gratitude to both Faha and Goro for their guidance.

Update:
M.D.
University of Oklahoma
Secondary received and submitted. No II yet.
Creighton
Did not submit primary
Saint Louis University

D.O.
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Secondary received and submitted. II received. Accepted
New York Institute of Technology - Arkansas
Secondary received and submitted. II received. Did not attend yet.
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Secondary received and submitted. II received. Accepted
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Secondary received but did not submit

So, to conclude, I have received 5 II's and 2 acceptances so far. I am beyond grateful.

Once again, I would like to thank Faha and Goro, and I hope this thread may be of use to future applicants. I will update one last time when I make my final decision.

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users