WAMC and Help With School List (Texas/516/3.77/Active Duty Military)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amath03

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying next year, will graduate undergrad 2022.

1. cGPA 3.77, sGPA 3.68
2. MCAT 516(128/128/130/130)
3. Texas resident.
4. White male.
5. Active duty military, will also be active duty when I apply. I have a clinical job in the military.
6. Tons of leadership and non-clinical volunteering. Also a couple thousand teaching hours.
7. No official physician shadowing, but I was able to observe physician interactions as part of my clinical job.
8. A few military job awards.
9. Only downside is a do have a good amount of online coursework.

School list:
MD;
USUHS
McGovern
Texas A&M
Long
Dell
UTMB
UTSW
Baylor
University of Houston
Keck
Stanford
Geffen
ETSU
EVMS
UofA Phoenix
University of Colorado

DO:
RVUCOM
UNTHSC-TCOM

I'm just wondering what my chances are, and anything I can do to improve my app before I apply. I would also appreciate some help with the school list, and any advice for schools to add or remove.

Members don't see this ad.

Add your other Texas MD schools including the new school TCU-UNT. You could also add Dartmouth. You should receive many interviews, especially from your Texas schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
USUHS, given the fact that you are active duty, would be a great consideration if you have enjoyed your service. You already have time in toward retirement. With your time already served, med school, deployment, residency, fellowship then staff positions you ,will easily make 20 yrs and get out as an O-5 or O-6 and still have a civilian practice for another 15 or so years. And you will have no debt and when you get out you won’t have any competition from a gaggle of residents. Your pay thru training will also be much better than civilian residency. I would be on that like a bum on a ham sandwich.

Add your other Texas MD schools including the new school TCU-UNT. You could also add Dartmouth. You should receive many interviews, especially from your Texas schools.
Strongly agree! I really think you should apply to EVERY Texas school, including the DO schools, Tech, Foster, and TCU-UNT. I might also throw in CCOM and AZCOM if you're planning to submit AACOMAS. I was admitted to both of those this cycle and am finding it difficult to let them go, even after getting my MD acceptance. You should find yourself with several acceptances with your list. You're an excellent candidate.

I think you could put a few more reaches on there. I don’t think you need to apply DO, but if it gives you peace of mind go for it. Get some physician shadowing, or ask one of them if they’re comfortable with you putting down your interactions as shadowing on your application.

Also apply to some OOS top-tier schools like Harvard, Yale, and Stanford; your military service makes you a standout candidate and competitive at those schools. Good luck.