3.25 GPA, 525 MCAT, in DIY post-bacc. School list help, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syndromeofad

Reaction score
I'm applying next June. Thank you for any advice.

1. Grades
3.25 cGPA and 3.05 sGPA.

GPA low mostly due to a string of failures 5 years ago. Upward trend, graduated, got healthy, set mind on medicine. Now in the 1st of 3 DIY post-bacc quarters at public university. Couldn't afford private/SMP. Course selection is limited. Plan is microbiology, microbial physiology, foundations + critical readings + seminar in biomedical sciences, intermediate statistics, regression modeling, biology of aging, immunology, whatever else fits. I'll get a 4.0, raising the cGPA to 3.37 and sGPA to 3.29.

2. MCAT
525 (131/130/132/132) in 2023

3. State
WA

4. Demographic
White/Male/26

5. School type
Public

6. Clinical
~ 2,100 hours as medical scribe in community clinics and kid's ED.
Currently a clinical support volunteer in a nonprofit clinic, taking vitals, chief complaints. Will have around 150 hours by June.

7. Research
Research assistant in health psychology labs, ~ 150 hours. A couple local posters.
Awarded an undergrad research grant, my project took ~ 120 hours, local poster.
Currently working 10-15 hours/week as research assistant in neonatology (archival/EHR data collection and manuscript editing). The Dr. said I'll be on a publication if I edit well, but I doubt if that'll happen in time. 300+ hours by June is the plan.

8. Non-clinical volunteering
~ 170 hours as youth mentor in title I/low income schools.
~ 80 hours in park cleanup.
~ 60 hours in community kitchen.
~ 100 hours for maternal-child health program
~ 125 hours as MCAT tutor.

9. Other
45 hours in "virtual neurosurgery internship", basically I Zoomed with a neurosurgeon, he took us through his schedule, cases, videos of him operating, discussed medicine in general.
~ 3,500 hours in food service.

I was awarded fee assistance. Made a list around 40 schools via browsing MSAR, school websites, and Goro's list. Hoping to reduce it a bit if that's advised. I saw gyngyn mention that a larger list is more appropriate for people with discordant GPA/MCAT, but is that still the case with post-bacc? Do you see any gaps or redundancies in my list, or application in general?

School list:

MD:
University of Washington
Washington State University
Eastern Virginia
U Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
U Miami
Loyola
Brown
Tulane
U Cincinatti
Albert Einstein
Rush
Albany
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
Case Western
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Dartmouth
Hackensack
NYU Grossman
Kaiser
U Pittsburgh
UCSF
UCLA
Creighton
Penn State
Wake Forest
Temple
Western Michigan

DO:
PCOM
MSUCOM
TUCOM-CA
KCU
Western U
PNWU

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you have less than a 60% chance for a MD acceptance. Some of the schools on your list are unrealistic with your projected GPA . I suggest these schools from your MD list:
University of Washington
Washington State University
Eastern Virginia
U Vermont
Boston University
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
U Miami
Loyola
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Temple
Rush
Albany
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Hofstra
Tufts
Dartmouth
Hackensack
Kaiser
U Pittsburgh
Wake Forest
Creighton
You could add these schools:
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Temple
Quinnipiac
Belmont (new school)
Any new schools that open for 2025 class (American University, Roseman, Methodist University, Alice Walton)
For DO schools you could add these:
AZCOM
TUCOM-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM

Reactions: 1 user
I know a guy with these exact same stats who got into UCSF who also was non-trad 4 gap years, though that was like 4-5 years ago. You never know where you'll get into with an MCAT score like that.

Reactions: 2 users
What was your upward trend like? For what it's worth, those GPA/MCAT grids contain reinventors like OP as well as people who had flat 3.3s and rocked the MCAT. These are two different things. I'm a bit more optimistic about OP's chances provided they can pull the 4.0 off - in that case I'd add Columbia, Vandy, and any other top schools that reward reinvention. The guy that bombs freshman year but comes back strong is different from the flat 3.3.

Reactions: 1 user