WAMC and School List - HELP PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1087189

—-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was your grad program an SMP?
I would definitely apply to California University. Are you from the Inland Empire? If so, apply to UCR. Are you from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background? If so, apply to UC-Davis.

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears you have or will have an MPH. I don't know if you submitted your application. It's starting to get late if you want to start in 2024.

How much of your clinical experience was done during your MPH studies or internships? If you are just starting shadowing, you should not be applying this year. I am not sure if your nonclinical community service is enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Was your grad program an SMP?
I would definitely apply to California University. Are you from the Inland Empire? If so, apply to UCR. Are you from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background? If so, apply to UC-Davis.
it wasn't! yes i will be doing CA university as well actually, and no i am not either so it is best to not apply to UCR or UC D

With no physician shadowing and a late application your chances for interviews are low. You would be better off to apply next June after you have accumulated 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter,etc.

Reactions: 1 users
With no physician shadowing and a late application your chances for interviews are low. You would be better off to apply next June after you have accumulated 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter,etc.
i'm not understanding why if i have 1,000 hours in a clinic...? i understand the late app but apps weren't even sent out to schools until the end of june

i'm not understanding why if i have 1,000 hours in a clinic...? i understand the late app but apps weren't even sent out to schools until the end of june
Your application will not be verified until later in September. If your secondaries are all submitted by early October your application will be reviewed later in October. At that time all September and October interviews will have already occurred and many November intervews already scheduled. September, October and November are half the interview season. You could apply to DO schools and an October application for DO schools is not late.

What did your do in your internship? How did you observe what doctors do?

Crisis Text Line is great but in person experiences would carry more weight. Did you ever use these skills for in person work in shelters?

Reactions: 1 user
it wasn't! yes i will be doing CA university as well actually, and no i am not either so it is best to not apply to UCR or UC D
I definitely wouldn't apply to UC Riverside if you're not from the Inland Empire or don't have super strong connections to the Inland Empire area. I think UC Davis has NorCal bias and does heavily favor socioeconomically disadvantaged applicants; I'm not sure if you should apply to UC Davis or not. Maybe an expert on this thread could answer this question? Otherwise still definitely apply to California University!

Do I need to think about a retake because of low CARS score? Number 1 school is UCSD, number 2 is UCI... will be applying this cycle just to shoot my shot. Any thoughts or advice?
The low CARS score is going to hurt for MD, because it's <10th %ile for nearly all MD schools. It's also the hardest category to remediate. The good news is that DO schools care less about it.

Someone has to be in the < 10th %ile, why not you? How many hours of text line service do you have?

I suggest the following schools:
Creighton
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
Jefferson
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
Netter
Loyola
Nova MD
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
EVMS
SLU
Albany
Rush
Temple
Tulane
TCU
VCU
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wayne State
Wake Forest
UCD
UCR (if you're from the Inland Empire)
UCI (maybe)
UCSF (IF you have lots of service)
UCLA (IF you have lots of service for the disadvantaged)

Any DO program. Include PacNW. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I know that you're gunning for MD, but beggars can't be choosy.