Wamc and school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fennel608

Reaction score
This is my first post, so I apologize if I get this wrong. I am just looking for some insight into which schools I should apply to and what my chances are. I’m going for anonymity, but here are my rough stats:

Undergraduate science and overall: 3.45
(I took 19/20 credit semesters for the last four and double majored in biology and biochemistry)
Graduate in public health: 3.8
MCAT ~504 with no section under 125. I retake the MCAT in August. I am confident I will do better on it, as I (idiotically) only studied for about 15 hours for the last MCAT. I have put in well over 150 for this retake so far.

I worked full time during school as well as during my graduate studies. I have held a public health and a premedicine internship. I currently work as a program/clinical assistant at a medical school in a position I have held for a year and a half. I am a certified EMT.

I have many research projects including biological and doctor-patient communication. I was an RA for two years and was promoted to the step above that my final year. I worked as a resident assistant in a cbrf and as an aid in support care homes for a total of well over 1000 hours. I am interested in primary care/hospice and palliative medicine, as well as rural service and noted both in my applications.

I have not shadowed a DO directly, but I work with two. My letters of rec were all written by MDs except for one. The final letter was written by my micro professor whose husband I also did home health care for. I do not know the DOs well enough to ask for a letter of rec from them at this point. I interview well and my personal statement/essays will all be great as writing is one of my strongest skills.

No matter where I apply, I will be an out of state applicant as my state does not have a DO school.

I’m incredibly nervous, and am hoping that you all may have some insight. Any at all would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:
MCW (maybe)
Rush (maybe)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
SLU
WVU
U VM
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Of the MD schools, check MSAR and rule out any where your GPAs are < 10th %ile.

I suggest:
MCW (maybe)
Rush (maybe)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
SLU
WVU
U VM
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Your state school(s).
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Of the MD schools, check MSAR and rule out any where your GPAs are < 10th %ile.

Thank you for your help! I’m struggling with the thought I would have much of a chance with any MD schools but my in-state. Is that actually realistic? The aamc reports that likelihood is maybe 30% but I don’t know how graduate gpas factor in.

Thank you for your help! I’m strugglinn with the thought I would have much of a chance with any MD schools but my in-state. Is that actually realistic? The aamc reports that likelihood is maybe 30% but I don’t know how graduate gpas factor in.
Chances strongest with DO and your state school.

The 30% number is skewed by people living in lucky states.