MD WAMC: Application Cycle and School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m&msforvicky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m wanting to apply this upcoming cycle but want to get more opinions. I also am looking for advice on my school list. Im looking to apply to ~20 schools. Right now I have

* Emory
* Case Western
* Loma Linda
* Boston University
* LSU New Orleans

Im a non traditional applicant with a post bacc at T20 school. T20 undergrad university (grad 2018) with a degree in biomedical engineering.

Undergrad: 2.72/2.64 cGPA/sGPA
Postbacc: 3.83/3.85 cGPA/sGPA
Cumulative: 3.11/3.17 cGPA/sGPA

MCAT: 511 (128/127/126/130)

Upward trend since sophomore year of undergrad.

I’ve been a tutor since 2018 and a teaching fellow for my post bacc program in organic chemistry the last year.

Im a program coordinator for a MST that travels to the Dominican Republic since 2019.

I did asthma education at city hospital before COVID as well as nurse assistant.

I have also been a BBBS mentor since 2019.

During Covid I was health proxy and primary caregiver for grandparents where I got a lot of exposure since heath issues included radiation cystitis, papillary tumors, seizures, ankle fractures, ozone treatment, dementia, etc.

Research experience comes from undergrad where I was a research lead for undergrad projects in proteomics.

Overall I haven’t calculated my hours but can if requested. Estimates would be:

- Research: > 800
- non med volunteering: >90
- med volunteering: >600
- shadowing virtual: 21
- shadowing in person: ~15
- teaching: > 1500

My LORs are coming from MST, orgo prof, and gen chem prof.

I haven’t heard back if I will be receiving a committee letter.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits was the post-bacc?

Loma Linda is a very religious institution, so you probably need to be Seventh-day Adventist or follow a similar branch for it to be a good fit.

I assume LSU-New Orleans is your state school and you are a resident of Louisiana. Please break down your hours for specific activities you did and describe them more. Medical service trips usually should not be included in an application as they end up being voluntourism.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple