WAMC: Average GPA, Ok DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teethphoto

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 23, 2022
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.70
*NOTE: STRONG UPWARD TREND
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 21 TS: 21 BIO: 21 OC: 22 GC: 22 PAT: 23 RC: 22 QR:19
State of Residence: New Jersey

Major: BIOLOGY
Minor: n/a
Minority?
No - white
Reapplicant? No - first time
Nontrad? No - one gap year
Shadowing Experience:
~150 total: 72 w/ general group practice, 50 w/ ortho + general combined clinic, 25 w/ oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: ~ 153 total: Service learning (Advisor for a HS mock trial team): 78, Biology tutoring: 39 hours, North American Disease Intervention Rep: 36 hours
Employment:
~2,015 total hours: 1760 hours in peer mentoring, 315 hours in Event hosting
Research: 105 total hours in one neuroscience research lab. No publications. (I was only able to get into a research in my final year because one it was highly competitive to get research as a freshmen. Second, Covid (half of second year and all of third year) prevented new members from joining a research lab)
Other Extracurriculars: 150 total hours as Treasruer for my school’s PDS.
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list 7/8 semesters, magnum cum laude, Outstanding tutor, Student Commitment and Appreciation award ( this and the outstanding tutoring award were from my time as a peer mentor), National History honors society.
LOR type and strength: Committee letter (comprised of my evaluators within the committee and 3-4 other individual letters). Two science, 1 dentist and 1 history professor. I built a fantastic relationship with all my evaluators, and I believe they wrote exceptionally strong LoR. As for the committee letter, I was not eligible for that because I did not have the GPA req for it, but the director for pre health at my school saw my drive to become a dentist. I also think my committe interview went well which is why they collectively decided to give me the committee letter.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: n/a
School list: (not in any order)

NYU
Rutgers
Boston
South Carolina
Tufts
Touro
UBuffalo
Nova
LECOM
Midwestern AZ and ILL
Roseman
Temple
Detroit mercy
Maryland
UPITT
UNC
UOP
UCONN

Comments: please let me know if I should apply to any other schools. The last three schools can be considered “reach schools” but I know stats aren’t the determining factors. I appreciate any further comments, questions or concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: June 23,2022
Overall GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.70
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 21 TS: 21 BIO: 21 OC: 22 GC: 22 PAT: 23 RC: 22 QR:19
State of Residence: New Jersey

Undergrad Attended: NJIT
Major: BIOLOGY
Minor: n/a
Minority?
No - white
Reapplicant? No - first time
Nontrad? No - one gap year
Shadowing Experience:
~150 total: 72 w/ general group practice, 50 w/ ortho + general combined clinic, 25 w/ oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: ~ 153 total: Service learning (Advisor for a HS mock trial team): 78, Biology tutoring: 39 hours, North American Disease Intervention Rep: 36 hours
Employment:
~2,015 total hours: 1760 hours in peer mentoring, 315 hours in Event hosting
Research: 105 total hours in one neuroscience research lab. No publications. (I was only able to get into a research in my final year because one it was highly competitive to get research as a freshmen. Second, Covid (half of second year and all of third year) prevented new members from joining a research lab)
Other Extracurriculars: 150 total hours as Treasruer for my school’s PDS.
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list 7/8 semesters, magnum cum laude, Outstanding tutor, Student Commitment and Appreciation award ( this and the outstanding tutoring award were from my time as a peer mentor), National History honors society.
LOR type and strength: Committee letter (comprised of my evaluators within the committee and 3-4 other individual letters). Two science, 1 dentist and 1 history professor. I built a fantastic relationship with all my evaluators, and I believe they wrote exceptionally strong LoR. As for the committee letter, I was not eligible for that because I did not have the GPA req for it, but the director for pre health at my school saw my drive to become a dentist. I also think my committe interview went well which is why they collectively decided to give me the committee letter.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: n/a
School list: (not in any order)

NYU
Rutgers
Boston
South Carolina
Tufts
Touro
UBuffalo
Nova
LECOM
Midwestern AZ and ILL
Roseman
Temple
Detroit mercy
Maryland
UPITT
UNC
UOP
UCONN

Comments: please let me know if I should apply to any other schools. The last three schools can be considered “reach schools” but I know stats aren’t the determining factors. I appreciate any further comments, questions or concerns.
list is too long...

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove NYU, very expensive. Consider the price of all the other schools as well like MWU
Alright thank you for the input. One question, I still have UPITT and UNC to apply to. Should I still put forth my application for both those schools?

I'd personally take off South Carolina, UNC, and UCONN as they are not OOS friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.