WAMC? C/O 2027 low gpa and where to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caroliner91

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first post on the SDN so I'm probably going to forget a few things so bear with me!
21F, 1st time applicant, IS Texas resident, OOS TN college student.
Biology Major on Pre-Vet Track with a minor in Environmental Studies

Overall GPA was a 3.29
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA is a 3.65.
Last 45: 3.37
No GRE
4th quartile Casper

I know overall GPA isn't good, I got a D in chem 1 but retook it and got an A, a C+ in genetics, a C+ in calc, and then a C+ in physics that Im retaking and am hopeful to get an A! I'm on an academic based scholarship at my college as well.

Extracurriculars/Positions Held:
President of my schools Pre-Vet Club, an orientation leader + other part of it that's very leadership based, teaching assistant for comparative anatomy, an involvement guide for a class of freshman where I basically co teach them, a 'buddy' to international students, in a couple honor societies, and treasurer of the mental health club on campus.

For jobs- I've worked PRN at a wedding venue in the area as a hostess since 2020.

Animal Hours (including vet hours)
1367.06 some as a kennel tech and then the rest as a vet assistant. Most hours from a small animal clinic in Texas and ~300 in a rural small animal clinic in Tennessee
100 hours volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center
300 hours as an intern at a primate sanctuary
700 hours as a foster for an animal shelter
112 volunteering at the clinic in Texas (learned basics before getting the job)

Research:
Worked in a lab at my undergrad since 2021 that focuses on bat morphology where I analyze CT scans and segment them into 3D models
Currently working on hyoid segmentation and comparing the scans with various species, and my name will be included in the final paper once it is published

LOR's:
Vet I worked with in Tennessee
Director of primate sanctuary
Research professor who I also work with to TA for comparative anatomy
Professor I co taught with as an involvement guide

School list:
TTU, A&M, UofA, RVC, Colorado, Ohio, Tennessee, Kansas
I've already been denied from TTU and A&M sadly without interview
Interviewed with RVC in early Nov (loved it and the school)
On an MMI interview waitlist at U of Arizona since Oct 24th

I started out with the RVC interview and felt I got off to a good start but receiving rejections from both of my IS schools has really put a damper on my mood and likelihood of getting in. I know talking about traveling to rural areas and throwing in my passion for wildlife to my Texas essays is probably part of the reason why I didn't get in but don't want to chalk it all up to that.
I am most likely looking into doing a Master's to raise my GPA as I know its a lot lower than schools would like. I've been thinking about conservation biology or wildlife conservation ~ something in that area as I'm greatly interested in international wildlife medicine.

Would be greatly interested as to what people's opinions are, and where to improve. I am also applying to my local small animal practice in December! There are pretty much 0 opportunities for large animal medicine around me so I may be able to get some with the doctors at this practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know rejection is never easy, but you applied to some very challenging schools to get into! A lot of those schools have very high average class GPAs. If you don’t get in this cycle and plan to reapply, I would apply to some more holistic schools (ex. LMU, LIU, Mississippi, if anyone has any more to suggest feel free.) Your experience honestly looks very diverse, and quality, so it’s likely coming down to your GPA, recommendations, and writing. Hopefully retaking those classes will up your GPA a good amount. If it’s still not where you want it to be after that and you’re reapplying I would recommend a one year masters or just taking interesting graduate classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I know rejection is never easy, but you applied to some very challenging schools to get into! A lot of those schools have very high average class GPAs. If you don’t get in this cycle and plan to reapply, I would apply to some more holistic schools (ex. LMU, LIU, Mississippi, if anyone has any more to suggest feel free.) Your experience honestly looks very diverse, and quality, so it’s likely coming down to your GPA, recommendations, and writing. Hopefully retaking those classes will up your GPA a good amount. If it’s still not where you want it to be after that and you’re reapplying I would recommend a one year masters or just taking interesting graduate classes.
Thank you for the reply and advice! I thought U of Arizona was more holistic as well as Ohio but maybe I was mistaken. The interview hold for U of A is definitely psyching me out a bit but either way I appreciate you taking the time to read :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply and advice! I thought U of Arizona was more holistic as well as Ohio but maybe I was mistaken. The interview hold for U of A is definitely psyching me out a bit but either way I appreciate you taking the time to read :)
UofA is more holistic but I read in an article that they got over 2000 applications this cycle for only 110 seats.

Has anyone been placed on the alternative list for Midwestern and accepted? Needing some hope

Truthfully tOSU is usually more holistic, I had fairly similar stats to you & got an interview and acceptance here, don't give up hope of joining Buckeye Nation! But, if you don't end up getting an interview invite from them & reapply next year, I'd also add Michigan State and University of Pennsylvania to your list. They are often more holistic in their applicant review.

As for calculating your Last 45 Credit GPA, you literally will need to calculate it out - I use College GPA Calculator. This is a big metric that's important for use in more holistic schools, so it's an important one to know!

Truthfully tOSU is usually more holistic, I had fairly similar stats to you & got an interview and acceptance here, don't give up hope of joining Buckeye Nation! But, if you don't end up getting an interview invite from them & reapply next year, I'd also add Michigan State and University of Pennsylvania to your list. They are often more holistic in their applicant review.

As for calculating your Last 45 Credit GPA, you literally will need to calculate it out - I use College GPA Calculator. This is a big metric that's important for use in more holistic schools, so it's an important one to know!
Thank you!! I’m going to do that now. What do the last 45 show or reflect? I’m just trying to see how it compares to science and overall

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! I’m going to do that now. What do the last 45 show or reflect? I’m just trying to see how it compares to science and overall
It's the GPA of just your most recent 45 credits - it's most often used to determine if a student has improved in their most recent coursework, especially if they have a low overall or science GPA. My last-45 GPA went from a 3.3 to a 3.7 in one year/cycle, and I think it made the difference at certain schools. You literally just take your most recent 45 credits, plug them into the GPA calculator, and see what the GPA is. Michigan uses the last-36 GPA along with overall and science, so those are important to make sure you're above 3.0 if you want to apply there.