WAMC c/o 2027 Reapplication and need school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot999

Michigan State c/o 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of application and acceptance to a US school?

I have applied this current cycle for co/2026 with very little success. I was waitlisted at SGU for Fall 2022 with acceptance to Jan. 2023 and accepted at Ross for Fall 2022. After much consideration, I have decided to reapply to vet school due to wanting to be within a 12 hourish drive of my family, wanting the ability to come home if necessary, not wanting to pay $400 to sit on a waiting list, and wanting to do right by myself for my mental health.

My 2021-2022 cycle stats are:

21 year old, junior undergraduate student, pursuing a BS in Animal Science with minors in Chemistry and Biology.

Cumulative GPA (VMCAS): 3.44

Science GPA (VMCAS): 3.28

Last 45 hours GPA: ~3.38 (This is a rough calculation with 55 hours)

Last 30 hours GPA: 3.32 (Calculated by Ohio State)
Applied to: Michigan, SGU, Ross, LMU, Missouri, Ohio, UofA, UF

My 2022-2023 projected stats are (What I am hoping will happen with my grades if I maintain their current state):

22 year old, senior undergraduate student, looking to pursue a job for the year in research or another area of vet med.

All of these stats are calculated by the VMCAS Excel sheet and help of LSU 45 Hour GPA explanations.

Cumulative GPA: 3.59

Science GPA: 3.46

Last 45 Hour GPA: 3.67 (Rough calculate with 59 credits)

Thinking of applying to: Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, LMU, Illinois

Granted that this projected GPA range isn’t a guaranteed, it would mean I would need all A’s in my last semester, and As when I retake the organic chemistries this summer as suggested by my file reviews.

Veterinary Experience:

Veterinary Intern through a mixed animal practice with internship focused on farm calls-480 hours

Veterinary assistant at mobile vet clinic-1500 hours

Kennel Tech/Vet Support at an exotic/small animal hospital-320 hours

Equine Animal Handling class-48 hours

Food animal handling class-48 hours

Animal Experience:

Pet Supplies Plus Cashier-285 Hours

HS Equestrian Team member-234 hours

4-H member-708

Research Experience:

None ☹, trying to apply for pharmacy or laboratory positions near me currently

Extracurriculars/Related Work/Voluntering:

Tri Beta Honors Society

Phi Sigma Sigma- 4 years served as Vice President and PR chair

Greek Council-4 years served as PR Chair and Campus Events Chair

Campus Minsitries

33 Killer Bees FRC Robotics

Spanish Honors Society

NHS

Academic Support Tutor for General Chemistries

Knitting Club

Groundwork Guatemala

GRE: Don’t Plan to take

Letters of Recommendation:

Letter from Vet at mobile vet clinic who has been a mentor to me.

Letter from Sorority advisor

Letter from Coworker from mobile vet clinic

Letter from Academic Advisor

Might change this year: to have letters from Micro professor, DVM from LMU who I work with during my internship, Sorority advisor, and supervisor at tutoring services.

Essay: Ohio State said to review my essay so I guess it wasn’t great lol. I talked about animal welfare and how there were times I felt vilianized in the vet med world when advocating for welfare. It was a discombobulated mess with heavily political issues regarding the horse racing industry.

Members don't see this ad.

What you’re doing for your application for next year seems like you’re doing a great job. Looks stronger already especially with the gpa increase potential. I waited even after my senior year to apply to have the best gpa and app I could have and the schools could see an improvement and upward trend in grades which it looks like you’ll have.
I would use the forums to have others look at your personal statement. I made sure to write about myslef and what I bring to vet med. I focused on 2 stories, one with large animals and one with small animal and used them to show who I am. I can read your personal statement for you if you’d like.
I’d just continuing schools that are close to your gpa range. And diversify your shadowing with vet med or animals. Maybe some wildlife.
You’re doing great!

Reactions: 1 user
What you’re doing for your application for next year seems like you’re doing a great job. Looks stronger already especially with the gpa increase potential. I waited even after my senior year to apply to have the best gpa and app I could have and the schools could see an improvement and upward trend in grades which it looks like you’ll have.
I would use the forums to have others look at your personal statement. I made sure to write about myslef and what I bring to vet med. I focused on 2 stories, one with large animals and one with small animal and used them to show who I am. I can read your personal statement for you if you’d like.
I’d just continuing schools that are close to your gpa range. And diversify your shadowing with vet med or animals. Maybe some wildlife.
You’re doing great!
I'm kind of kicking myself for applying so soon to vet school, mostly because I think that was what was expected of me and my peer from our undergrad school. Last semester was the first time I had made dean's list in over 2 years so I was estatic!

For the essay, what types of stories did you focus on like what was the overall theme of your essay? I think that's the part I struggled with most because mine is so focused on one area about why I wanted to be a vet instead of who I am as an extension of vet med.

Also, I am looking into trying to get an internship with a zoo, research lab, or conservation project. I'm just throwing out resumes right now trying to see what sticks as I kind of want to have a more solid plan before I tell my parents I'm reapplying.

Applying in junior year is a bit early but at least you know areas to improve, such as your essay. I ended up having a pretty big uptick in my grades the last 2 years of my undergrad too. I definitely feel you on the parents aspect. I don't know how your parents are but mine were pretty upset I didn't apply right away during my senior year. I am so glad I decided to wait and do what was right for me, so be sure to do what's right for you.
So I did get into Ohio, but at the same time I don't know if my essay was that great, this is just what I did lol. I also had waited until literally the last minute, so please start sooner. I have to work on my procrastination tendencies still lol.
I started off with a descriptive story about how I assisted the vet with a sick goat and the connection it had with its owner as a hook. I then went into discussing how i have learned the importance of human animal bond and my interest in large and small animal. I then talked about how communication in vet med is important and how i demonstrate that in my vet assistant job and again told a story of an emergency case with a dog and I had to keep the situation under control. I mentioned i have gained skills in many different areas in large, small, wildlife and how I like investigating, researching, solving problems. Then I wrote a last few sentences on the conclusion and tied my past and what I will continue to do and what I want to do in vet med.
I hope that was helpful!