WAMC C/o 2027 reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrHaversham

Reaction score
Hey all, I applied this last cycle for the first time, and it's looking like I'm going to be re-applying. Any suggestions for improvement or different school choices welcome!

Applied: Washington (WIMU USU), Arizona, Midwestern, Ohio (dream), Colorado (reach), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri
Interview: Washington, Minnesota
Wait list: Minnesota
I will not be throwing my money away by applying to Colorado again lol, will at least be keeping Ohio, Washington, and Minnesota on my list

Have a BS in Anthropology
Overall: 3.54
Science: 3.45
I have a ton of credits, straight A's this semester would give me a...3.55 -_-

Animal:
Guide Dogs for the Blind 1000
Goat farm: 150
Animal shelter: 450

Employment: 4300 (w/ supervisor roles)

Extracurricular:
human anatomy lab instructor: 300 (w/ leadership role, teaching and dissection experience)

Research: 200 (natural history museum & cyanobacteria lab)

Veterinary: 1700 (small animal gp, also sees the local zoo's animals on occasion, but I'm unsure how to highlight that or if it even counts as zoo med)

Volunteer: 350

A fair number of honors/awards/scholarships

Stuff I (stupidly?) did not include (but should?):
I will say it's weird for me to include at least the first two, because it's not like I was on a competitive sports team, they've just been stress reliving hobbies to me. That being said I have spent a fair amount of time/energy/money on them so maybe I should include them?
Jiu-jitsu: 700 (have never tried competing)
Airsoft: 500
Sorority: 90 (didn't include initially because I dropped after the first year due to my step mom's cancer recurring and suddenly being on my own financially, that ****s expensive)
Unsure if I should include ROTC? Or if the coursework should speak for itself. I did include the awards I got from it in the awards section.
Should I include high school extracurriculars? Was on the cyberpatriot team (won top 3 in state all three years), wrote for high school section of local newspaper, honor society (I did include this), first chair viola WSU strings project.
Also, any way to include being a subject in a COVID vaccine trial?
Now realizing I was a big dummy when it came to the extracurricular section ig

Current plan:
get equine experience, I've reached out to a few people who are willing to help me, most likely non veterinary
After the semester ends I will be getting a tech job at an ER/specialty clinic that also sees exotics, full time
Plan to keep participating in human anatomy lab instructing, for leadership/longevity of involvement
Possibly add on a different non animal volunteer experience? I've been wanting to help the local boys and girls club as I used their services when I was younger, and not taking classes would make that possible
Going to completely rework my personal statement, re-reading it makes we want to vom
Different people for my LORs, I had two vets, the goat farm owners, and my micro lab prof. Thinking of asking the same two vets, and asking my anatomy prof and guide dog club leader instead

Any input appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

@MrHaversham
hey! i would include your hobbies. i chose a different school, but i got into ohio with a 3.4 gpa. i included everything - like surfing, indoor rock climbing, hockey, arts etc. i graduated from high school in 2010 and applied during 20-21 cycle; i still included my high school extra-curriculars; like being a co-captain of a hockey team, and theatre and such. it shows that you're a whole person, and ohio was into that. in addition to just being well-rounded, i think they look for hobbies as a sign to see that you have some ways to cope with the stress of vet school