WAMC? c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachiekeen13

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am 22 y/o and a CA resident. This is my first time applying, and I applied to 9 schools. Top choices are Davis, Colorado, and Oregon. Also applied to Western, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and Arizona. I'm deciding between going the small animal GP route or mixed animal.

Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45:
All of these GPAs are what I got from VMCAS, I know that each school will normally calculate their own GPA based on re-taking classes, etc.

Any degrees achieved: B.S. Animal Bio (Spring 2022)

GRE results: Q: 151 / V: 153 / W: 5.0

Veterinary Experience:
- Assistant at two small animal clinics last summer and this summer, (~700 hours or more since I am still working at one of them)
- Intern at the Teaching Hospital on campus through a pre-vet club, about 6 months total. Shadowed vets and vet students. (~90 hours)
- Volunteer with a non-profit veterinary clinic for the homeless, about 2.5 years. Shadowed/assisted vets and vet students (~115 hours)

Animal Experience:
- Rodent Care Technician for a conservation project for 8.5 months (~100 hours)
- Volunteer at the Humane Society for about 5 years (~150 hours)
- Interning at a goat barn (husbandry, kidding, milking) for 2 years (~200 hours)

Research Experience:
- Studied animal behavior under a PhD mentor and completed a senior practicum project based on the research. Helped with organizing data, scoring videos, training new interns, generating tables and more; 1.5 years (~200 hours)
- Analyzed/collected patient data as part of a team from the non-profit vet clinic I volunteered at, read over patient files and inputted the info to be used for a future research publication the clinic was working to put out; 1.5 years (~120 hours)

Awards/scholarships:
- Scholarship my first year of college
- Dean's list (1 quarter)
- Fear Free Certified

Extracurriculars:
- Played a sport for ~12-13 years (until end of high school)
- Member of club for my major
- Member of pre-vet club at my undergraduate institution

Employment:
-
Summer camp counselor for 3 summers (~1200 hours)
-
Resident Advisor in the freshman dorms for 1 year (~700 hours)

LORs:

- 1 from a DVM I worked with last summer
- 1 from my supervisor during my time as a Resident Advisor
- 1 from my Research Advisor (PhD student)

Concerns:
My GPA is very low, and I'm concerned that schools will overlook my application because of it. My first 2 years of college I messed around, but my last 2 years I started to get it together and raise my grades. My transcripts show my grades have a "rising" trend which I'm proud of, but I'm not sure it is enough. I re-took a math class and a chemistry class and got A's, so hopefully those replace/average with my low previous grades. I think I'm solid when it comes to writing and interviews, so I'm just hoping that my essays and interview skills can get me through, along with my LORs which should be pretty strong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user