WAMC? c/o 2028 General application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user1479

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
20 year old, female, AZ resident, first time applicant
Looking for any application advice for next year :)
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
science GPA: 3.6?
last 45: not sure yet

GRE results:
Don’t plan on taking

Veterinary Experience:
-Veterinary assistant SM clinic, this is my current job (~200 hours, 20 hours a week)
-Shadowing at SM hospital (8 hours)

I will be shadowing an equine vet for a few weeks later this summer. I’m not sure how many hours this will be.

Animal Experience:
-Volunteer at zoo (~80 hours)
-Volunteer at humane society (~45 hours)
-Cat shelter (~9 hours)

Starting to volunteer at a livestock rescue this summer.

Research Experience:
None
Awards/scholarships:
-President Honors Scholarship (full tuition at cc)
-CC honors program

Extracurriculars:
-Phi Theta Kappa (member)

Employment:
-
Office assistant at exotic vet hospital (7 months, 10 hours per week) I mainly stayed in reception but on occasion I would watch procedures, help with rooms, and help in the kennel area. Not sure where to put this.
- Fast food worker (2 years, manager for 1.5 of those years, ~25 hours as a crew member and 35-45 hours per week as a manger)

My main concern is my lack of veterinary hours. I plan on applying next application cycle, so I still have some time. However, I was looking for some general advice on how to improve my application in the meantime. I know it is not very developed. I decided I wanted to pursue becoming a vet this year. My other concern is that I have 2 Ws (trig and Gen chem 2) on my transcript and 2 Cs (gen chem 2 and the other in an anatomy course). How much will this hurt my application?
I attended community college for the first two years of my degree and I am going to a 4 year university this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

The withdraws on your transcript will not impact your admission, but C's can depending on how many you gather. Right now you have a very good gpa, so two Cs means nothing in the long term. You definately need more veterinary hours and they won't be so lienent with the hours since COVID has "disappeared". Really push yourself to get hours, volunteer at shelters, help with an FFA/4-H club, anything will help you. Join more clubs, look towards finding a research group if you can through a professor.

A year is a lot of time to make an improvement

Reactions: 1 user
My main concern is my lack of veterinary hours. I plan on applying next application cycle, so I still have some time. However, I was looking for some general advice on how to improve my application in the meantime. I know it is not very developed. I decided I wanted to pursue becoming a vet this year. My other concern is that I have 2 Ws (trig and Gen chem 2) on my transcript and 2 Cs (gen chem 2 and the other in an anatomy course). How much will this hurt my application?
I attended community college for the first two years of my degree and I am going to a 4 year university this fall.
where are you applying? some schools are more holistic - looking at experience and the 'whole applicant' - in contrast to some schools that are more traditionally gpa focused. in general, a couple of Cs truly won't hurt as long as you have other solid grades and experience to help offset that. my gpa on admission was a 3.4; I had 7 Cs and plenty of Ws lol. that said, i knew i didn't have a chance at my in-state, which is gpa-focused, because they told me so.

i think your management experience looks great. working full-time while in school isn't easy, and i think they'll appreciate that. if you keep your vet assistant job, by this time next year you'll have a good number of hours. diversifying those hours is good, and the equine stuff will help too. oh, and for extracurriculars, consider things that you've done that aren't academic.

but each school is different in what they want and expect from applicants, so it helps to have a list to work from.

Reactions: 1 user