WAMC (CA Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuheng7

Reaction score
Date of submission: Mid-June (hopefully)
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 23 TS, 22 Bio, 22 GC, 25 OC, 28 PAT, 28 RC, 21 QR
State of Residence: California
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Minority? ORM
Shadowing Experience: 220+ hours total: 2 general private practice dentist, 1 medicare dental office, and 1 pediatric dentist; 39 hours from virtual shadowing
Volunteering Experience: 250 total: 100 hours hospital, 100 hours community food pantry, 50 hours food pantry with a pre-health club
Employment: 1800 hours pharmacy tech, 240 hours pharmacy assistant, 400 hours dental assistant at orthodontist office
Research: 660 hours total: 240 hours + 420 hours in 2 labs, no publications or posters :(
Other Extracurriculars: 240 hours Organic chemistry peer tutor
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s List, Cum Laude (Don’t know if these count)
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist, 3 science professors, and 1 pharmacy department director (I guess they’re all decent???)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I mostly explored different healthcare careers throughout undergrad, but it wasn’t really until towards my graduation that I became interested in dentistry. I would have explored it much earlier during my last year in undergrad but during that time I was mostly focused on taking care of my family as I had to deal with family illness. My first exposure to dentistry was when I had a deep cleaning with my dentist. As I did some shadowing and later worked as a DA, I saw myself enjoying the aspect of using my hands and artistry that comes with dentistry as well being able to make an immediate on a patient by the time they leave the dental office. I think that what's really great about dentistry in particular is that you're performing life changing work through making quality of life improvements for patients.

I’m also not sure if this is a red flag but during the early pandemic I pass/failed a biology class. It’s not a pre-req but it was required for my major.

As for my school list, I know it’s a huge list. I’m planning to apply to around 15 schools and I’m trying to figure out which schools to cut out. I’ve been told to apply broadly which is why I added a bunch of private schools that are (hopefully) OOS friendly to the list.

UCSF
UCLA
UOP
Western University
USC
California Northstate University
Temple University
Boston University
Oregon Health Science University
Arizona School of Dentistry ATSU
University of Colorado
Tufts University
UPenn
University of Connecticut
Buffalo University
Pittsburgh University
Marquette University
University of Maryland
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Mid-June (hopefully)
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 23 TS, 22 Bio, 22 GC, 25 OC, 28 PAT, 28 RC, 21 QR
State of Residence: California
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Minority? ORM
Shadowing Experience: 220+ hours total: 2 general private practice dentist, 1 medicare dental office, and 1 pediatric dentist; 39 hours from virtual shadowing
Volunteering Experience: 250 total: 100 hours hospital, 100 hours community food pantry, 50 hours food pantry with a pre-health club
Employment: 1800 hours pharmacy tech, 240 hours pharmacy assistant, 400 hours dental assistant at orthodontist office
Research: 660 hours total: 240 hours + 420 hours in 2 labs, no publications or posters :(
Other Extracurriculars: 240 hours Organic chemistry peer tutor
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s List, Cum Laude (Don’t know if these count)
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist, 3 science professors, and 1 pharmacy department director (I guess they’re all decent???)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I mostly explored different healthcare careers throughout undergrad, but it wasn’t really until towards my graduation that I became interested in dentistry. I would have explored it much earlier during my last year in undergrad but during that time I was mostly focused on taking care of my family as I had to deal with family illness. My first exposure to dentistry was when I had a deep cleaning with my dentist. As I did some shadowing and later worked as a DA, I saw myself enjoying the aspect of using my hands and artistry that comes with dentistry as well being able to make an immediate on a patient by the time they leave the dental office. I think that what's really great about dentistry in particular is that you're performing life changing work through making quality of life improvements for patients.

I’m also not sure if this is a red flag but during the early pandemic I pass/failed a biology class. It’s not a pre-req but it was required for my major.

As for my school list, I know it’s a huge list. I’m planning to apply to around 15 schools and I’m trying to figure out which schools to cut out. I’ve been told to apply broadly which is why I added a bunch of private schools that are (hopefully) OOS friendly to the list.

UCSF
UCLA
UOP
Western University
USC
California Northstate University
Temple University
Boston University
Oregon Health Science University
Arizona School of Dentistry ATSU
University of Colorado
Tufts University
UPenn
University of Connecticut
Buffalo University
Pittsburgh University
Marquette University
University of Maryland
NYU
you don't need to apply to 15 schools unless they are all publics or ivies
take off NYU immediately...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
and USC.

take a look at the price tags for your school list, some are not worth it
"ca applicant"
they all want to apply to U$C for some reason...

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like there is a paywall so can’t quite see the article. Is the probation also for the dental school.

I agree though for profit entity is not a good idea.
There is an SDN article on it.

The probation is only for the medical school but the university started with them and added dental. As a for-profit, I don't have much confidence if the medical school goes down that the other programs can stay afloat.

There is an SDN article on it.

The probation is only for the medical school but the university started with them and added dental. As a for-profit, I don't have much confidence if the medical school goes down that the other programs can stay afloat.
Definitely agree. It’s a sinking ship

and USC.

take a look at the price tags for your school list, some are not worth it

Yeah I'm definitely still thinking about applying to private schools like USC, NYU, etc. The tuition is a lot and I'm still not sure if I would want to go to that school and be in so much debt should that school be my only acceptance.

Yeah I'm definitely still thinking about applying to private schools like USC, NYU, etc. The tuition is a lot and I'm still not sure if I would want to go to that school and be in so much debt should that school be my only acceptance.
It would not be wise to take on that much debt. See the many recent threads we’ve had on this issue

It would not be wise to take on that much debt. See the many recent threads we’ve had on this issue
Yeah after some quick googling I saw how ridiculous some of the school costs are. I'm definitely taking out some of the more egregiously expensive schools like Tufts, NYU, etc. Do you have any suggestions though on any schools I should consider adding?

Yeah after some quick googling I saw how ridiculous some of the school costs are. I'm definitely taking out some of the more egregiously expensive schools like Tufts, NYU, etc. Do you have any suggestions though on any schools I should consider adding?
you don't need to add schools...