WAMC: CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryBlossom15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have many donations in your list to schools that have much higher median stats or take few OOS applicants. No need to retake MCAT, but double check subsection cutoffs. I don’t think many schools practice this.

Apply to the following instead:

One of UCR or UCD, choose the one that fits the area of the school (ie you live in the Inland Empire, then apply to UCR, not UCD). You will most likely not be a fit for the other unless you attended undergrad there.

Loma Linda (if you fit the religious mission)
CUSM
TCU-UNT
Geisinger
Penn State
Tulane
MCW
Vermont
VCU
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Temple
Drexel
Wayne State
Oakland
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
NYMC
Albany
Quinnipiac
Creighton

You will likely need more volunteering to the underserved as many of these schools value that as part of their mission. Food bank is good, the nonprofit work may not count as much if it was clerical or administrative in nature as opposed to out of your comfort zone.

Consider applying to DO as well. You are competitive for all of them:

WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM (watch tuition)
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM (Campbell)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
You have many donations in your list to schools that have much higher median stats or take few OOS applicants. No need to retake MCAT, but double check subsection cutoffs. I don’t think many schools practice this.

Apply to the following instead:

One of UCR or UCD, choose the one that fits the area of the school (ie you live in the Inland Empire, then apply to UCR, not UCD). You will most likely not be a fit for the other unless you attended undergrad there.

Loma Linda (if you fit the religious mission)
CUSM
TCU-UNT
Geisinger
Penn State
Tulane
MCW
Vermont
VCU
EVMS
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Temple
Drexel
Wayne State
Oakland
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
NYMC
Albany
Quinnipiac
Creighton

You will likely need more volunteering to the underserved as many of these schools value that as part of their mission. Food bank is good, the nonprofit work may not count as much if it was clerical or administrative in nature as opposed to out of your comfort zone.

Consider applying to DO as well. You are competitive for all of them:

WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM (watch tuition)
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM (Campbell)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you so much for your input! I just planning on applying to all of the UC's in CA because I am in-state for them, but I do understand that my stats are far below the median. Do you think it's still worth a shot to apply to UCSF/UCLA/UCI/UCSD?

Regarding the nonprofit work, I basically helped run an English literacy program for low-income students attending underfunded public schools, as well as a healthy behaviors program for transitioning foster youth. Most of my nonprofit work is directed toward the underserved, so hopefully this makes me a better fit for some school missions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools including UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, USC Keck and Miami are unrealistic with your stats and Utah, Central Michigan, USF Morsani, SUNY Upstate, Rutgers, Colorado, Geisinger and the Arizona schools admit very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add Albany and George Washington. California Northstate has accreditation problems. You should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
CUSOM
LECOM
Touro-NY

Thank you so much for your input! I just planning on applying to all of the UC's in CA because I am in-state for them, but I do understand that my stats are far below the median. Do you think it's still worth a shot to apply to UCSF/UCLA/UCI/UCSD?

Regarding the nonprofit work, I basically helped run an English literacy program for low-income students attending underfunded public schools, as well as a healthy behaviors program for transitioning foster youth. Most of my nonprofit work is directed toward the underserved, so hopefully this makes me a better fit for some school missions.
As Faha said, it would be unrealistic to apply and would be better to save the money to apply to DO schools. You may try UCI if you want, and again, UCR and UC Davis are not interested in students from the opposite side of CA the majority of the time. UCR likely wouldn't even consider somebody from neighboring areas like LA or San Diego if they don't show in other ways how they would be a good fit for their mission.

Your nonprofit work sounds good, but I would suggest gaining additional hours at the food bank or other places such as your local homeless shelter. Some of the schools such as Loyola and Oakland typically favor applicants with many hours of non-clinical volunteering (>400-500).

Reactions: 1 users

Regarding the nonprofit work, I basically helped run an English literacy program for low-income students attending underfunded public schools, as well as a healthy behaviors program for transitioning foster youth. Most of my nonprofit work is directed toward the underserved, so hopefully this makes me a better fit for some school Cali also lots of students out of Cali every year. Of course it’s up to you and ultimately your decision but with the very slim chance you might have, why apply to schools that are unrealistic for your stats? Save the money for secondaries and interviews. Try to get more nonclinical volunteering hours. Medicine is a service profession and you have to be able to show ADCOMS that you can work with all kinds of people under the very worst circumstances. Good luck.
Cali sends lots of students out of Cali every year for med school. Of course it’s up to you and ultimately your decision but with the very slim chance you might have, why apply to schools that are unrealistic with your stats? Save the money for secondaries and interviews. Try to get more nonclinical volunteering hours. Medicine is a service profession and you have to be able to show ADCOMS that you can work with all kinds of people under the very worst circumstances. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Cali sends lots of students out of Cali every year for med school. Of course it’s up to you and ultimately your decision but with the very slim chance you might have, why apply to schools that are unrealistic with your stats? Save the money for secondaries and interviews. Try to get more nonclinical volunteering hours. Medicine is a service profession and you have to be able to show ADCOMS that you can work with all kinds of people under the very worst circumstances. Good luck.
That makes sense, thanks for your input! I will try to accumulate more nonclinical hours with the months I have left