• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC: Canadian applicant to US MD/PhD programs

cheefdab_Z_

May 17, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey, I'd like to get feedback on my chances / a school list to see whether applying to top tier schools (which tend to be the ones who fund international MD/PhD students) is worth it

cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (128, 126, 132, 131)

Research experience
-2.5 years in a basic science lab (~3000 hours by the end of the summer, and ~3500 hrs by the end of my honors project)
-90 hrs in another basic science lab; received course credits for it
-4 research conferences/symposiums (2 awards)
-finalist in national science case competition (top 10% proposal out of 260+ in Canada)
-no publications yet, but I may have 1 mid-author and 1-first author by September of this year

duckegg

2+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2019
Hello,

I was a Canadian applicant this cycle. Your metrics and research experience should make you competitive :giggle: I will echo the advice that I was given – work on creating a strong narrative and strong essays.

Some programs to consider for MD/PhD: Harvard, Penn, Wash U, Cornell Tri-I, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, Northwestern, Mayo, Boston University, University of Virginia, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, Dartmouth, etc.

You can also consider applying to MD programs at places which don’t accept internationals into their MSTP, then transfer in after your first year. I know UCLA and Pitt will allow you to do this.

Some MD programs that are Canadian friendly are: UCLA, Pitt, CCLCM, Case Western, Stanford, Mount Sinai, Yale

Good luck! Feel free to DM with more specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.