WAMC: Canadian applicant to US MD/PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheefdab_Z_

Reaction score
Hey, I'd like to get feedback on my chances / a school list to see whether applying to top tier schools (which tend to be the ones who fund international MD/PhD students) is worth it

cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517 (128, 126, 132, 131)

Research experience
-2.5 years in a basic science lab (~3000 hours by the end of the summer, and ~3500 hrs by the end of my honors project)
-90 hrs in another basic science lab; received course credits for it
-4 research conferences/symposiums (2 awards)
-finalist in national science case competition (top 10% proposal out of 260+ in Canada)
-no publications yet, but I may have 1 mid-author and 1-first author by September of this year

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was a Canadian applicant this cycle. Your metrics and research experience should make you competitive :giggle: I will echo the advice that I was given – work on creating a strong narrative and strong essays.

Some programs to consider for MD/PhD: Harvard, Penn, Wash U, Cornell Tri-I, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, Northwestern, Mayo, Boston University, University of Virginia, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, Dartmouth, etc.

You can also consider applying to MD programs at places which don’t accept internationals into their MSTP, then transfer in after your first year. I know UCLA and Pitt will allow you to do this.

Some MD programs that are Canadian friendly are: UCLA, Pitt, CCLCM, Case Western, Stanford, Mount Sinai, Yale

Good luck! Feel free to DM with more specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users