WAMC decent stats but not a lot of upper division science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Kalaidjian

Reaction score
Date of submission: July 31 (all schools have received my DAT and are reviewing my application at this time)

GPA 3.56

sGPA: 3.43

BCP GPA: 3.24

DAT: 19AA/19TS/23PAT/21RC/18QR/19BIO/19GC/20OC

State of residence FL

Minority: Hispanic/Latino

Major Public Health

Minors: Business, pre health

Experiences

-I worked for the office of orientation at my university for two years, starting as an orientation leader and then as an Orientation coordinator. During that year I gave tours of the dental school to highschool students applying to the 4+4 BS/DMD program at NSU (60 hrs)

-Went on Dental mission trip to Puerto Rico and worked with organization to create Spanish language dental education flyers to be given out on future mission trips across Latin America (40 hrs)

Shadowing

-During the mission trip to Puerto Rico I shadowed the dentists that went with us while translating and assisting them. (80 hours over the week and a half)

-Shadowed an oral surgeon over a year (planNed to continue shadowing but stopped due to pandemic) (168 hours)

-Volunteer and Shadow at a yearly dental charity event at a local office. It’s called dentistry from our hearts. Mostly general dentistry (40 hours over 4 years)

Research
I currently work on two research projects focused in my hometown of Miami working with underserved populations.

“Healthy happens here”

Presented at a middle school to both students and parents in English and Spanish in three different oral health information sessions. Then surveyed the parents and students about how their health decisions have changed now that they are more informed (120 hours

“Water station pilot project”

This project is aimed at building filtered water fountains at an underfunded highschool in miami. I am tasked with making oral health education flyers for the students and also help guide them through the creation of a pre dental club in the school. The research part of the project is going to be a case study of the students water consumption and oral hygiene habits throughout their four years of highschool. (120 hours)

Letters of Recommendation
Three of the four letters I am highly confident that they will be strong. One is from my Orgo professor who I have a very close relationship with, one from the Oral Surgeon I shadow, one from the professor/public health dentist that I have been doing research with. The fourth is from my anatomy professor who I have kept in touch with. We always talk and catch up when I see him in the hall so I think his letter would be good but not great.

What worries me
So what worries me is the fact that since I became a public health major during the end of my sophomore year (When my school began to offer it, I was bio before) I have been taking a full course load (18 credits ever semester) trying to meet the requirements for my major, but not being able to fit too many upper level science classes. This is my senior year and I am taking microbiology this semester and biochemistry next semester. I have shown an upward trend in my gpa from freshman to junior year (3.32,3.42,3.76) but started off sort of weak early in college due to honestly mistakes and lack of focus. I got two C+’s, one in Bio 2 during my spring semester freshman year and one in Anatomy 1 during fall of my sophomore year. But the semester after that I was awarded deans list when I really focused on my classes and made sure to get my grades up. After that it has mostly been A’s with a couple B’s.

School list:
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
USC
NYU
Nova Southeastern (My school)
Touro
Tufts
UC SF
UColorado
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Florida
University of Michigan
Western University
Rutgers
UPenn
Temple University

Members don't see this ad.

Ur school list is good given your stats. Obviously UPenn, UCSF, and UMich are going to be reach schools given your 19AA DAT but your GPAs are good. Your best shot would be your state school in Florida and I think you have a good shot.

^I disagree with above. You stand a good chance at umich/penn, based on your total profile. ucsf might be tough just because they largely pick CA students. You don’t need upper division courses, all the care about is the prereqs.