WAMC Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe_dentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: I'm not applying until next cycle, but I'm just trying to get an idea of where I can approve my application.
Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.60
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.57 (I haven't taken physics yet)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 19 TS, GC 20, OC 22, BIO 17, RC 20, QR 17, PAT 22
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: Ferris State University
Major: Biology
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 36 hours as of now with two general dentists (adding to that this school year)
Volunteering Experience: Around 100 hours between an animal shelter, a women's shelter, a food pantry and the honor's program at my university. I really want to increase this number this year as much as I can, COVID-permitting.
Employment: I've had 2 jobs every summer since undergrad has started. I was offered employment with the same dentist that I shadowed with and I just finished up my second summer there doing sterilization, setting up/cleaning rooms, and helping at the front desk (about 650 hours of work there in total). I'm currently in my 3rd year at a golf course as a bartender/beverage cart girl, and I have worked during the school year at my school's recreation center, the golf course on the weekends during the fall/spring, and at the dentist office during my school breaks.
Research: 1 semester research in organic chemistry
LOR type and strength: Strong letters from 2 possible dentists that I worked with at the practice I shadowed/worked at for two years who I feel like I have formed strong relationships with (both UDM alums). A semi-strong letter from my advisor who I will also be having classes with all year (microbiology and immunology). Another strong letter from a professor I will have had 3 semesters plus labs with while also receiving good grades in the two courses I have taken with her (A&P and pathophysiology).
School list: UDM, UMich, Case Western, Louisville, Marquette, UNE, Tufts, WVU, Creighton, Nova, Pitt
Let me know if there are any other schools I should be applying to!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is good.
Your DAT is a bit lackluster. If you have the chance, study hard and retake. Aim for a 20+ in AA and TS. As of right now, it would put you in the bottom 25% of applicants.
I'd increase your shadowing hours to at least 50+. Some schools have a minimum requirement of hours (or "strongly recommended" number of hours).
Everything else looks good. Just DAT and shadowing hours is what you need.

Your GPA is good.
Your DAT is a bit lackluster. If you have the chance, study hard and retake. Aim for a 20+ in AA and TS. As of right now, it would put you in the bottom 25% of applicants.
I'd increase your shadowing hours to at least 50+. Some schools have a minimum requirement of hours (or "strongly recommended" number of hours).
Everything else looks good. Just DAT and shadowing hours is what you need.
Thank you for your response! I know for sure that I need to improve my shadowing hours but I’m going to do that this school year for sure. I feel like my DAT is the only thing questionable on my application and I’ve been debating a retake. My ECs are really good as well, which I forgot to mention in my post!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply once with the current DAT and see how you fare. Since GPAs are good and for fear that you score worse the second time. But you’ll be applying with a “weakness” in your application, so you’ll need to apply smart and I recommend applying to at least 14-15 schools. You’ll want to focus your school list on regional schools and private schools.

Your list is reasonable. You might also add schools like: lecom, nyu, bu, usc, howard and meharry (depending on your URM status), the midwesterns, or temple to get to 14-15.

All of these schools have large class sizes and are oos friendly since they‘re private schools, which makes them technically more suitable choices than say schools like pitt or wvu.

Also, like dko said above about your shadowing hours. You’ll want to up those numbers. 100 hours of shadowing is a safe number for 95% of schools.

Last edited: