WAMC: dismissed from dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HookahLungs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: verified 9/15
Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:3.72
Dental school GPA: 2.78

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
2 tests;
2014 test score: 20 AA, 18 reading, 21 gen chem, 20 bio, 21 QR, 19 PAT, 19 OC

2023 DAT score: 24 AA, 24 reading, 23GC, 21 Bio, 23 QR, 25 PAT, 27 OC

State of Residence: Illinois

Undergrad Attended: -
Major: Bio
Minor: None
Minority? White (middle eastern)
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes I think

Shadowing Experience: gen dentist 120+ hrs, dental school various fields of dental shadowing

Volunteering Experience: Various types - none dental related 500+ hours total

Employment: Dental assistant 4000+ hrs

Research: Physics research ~50 hrs (interferometers), senior thesis ~32 hrs (S. aureus induced endocarditis

Other Extracurriculars: Self employed through Covid (while maintaining assistant position), Uber until covid. Some other intramural sports during college but not very important imo since it was so long ago

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Lol yea 2 years of dental school dismissed for failing anesthesia after summer of my second year (completed 6 total semesters) dismissed for failing anesthesia + remediation of anesthesia

Relevant Honors or Awards: 7 semesters deans list, co-president & secretary of bio club, graduated with high honors, earned honors cord for bio club

LOR type and strength: all letters from undergrad professors 1 health advisor (stronger side) 1 bio professor (avg?) 1 physicist professor/research instructor (very strong) 1 dentist (avg-strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: former dental student, failed a class and dismissed no school since then (2018)

School list:
Applied to - UIC, SIU, MWU-IL, Tufts, LeCOM, NOVA (none of these are the school I was dismissed from)

Interested in adding: marquette, mwu-az, texas schools, maybe some more but not really sure

The schools I applied to so far are the ones I see myself most fit for but my main interest is SIU for clinic/cost with close second/third between UIC & MWU-IL

Of note: I was accepted into Tufts in 2016 but did not accept the offer because I attended a cheaper school

Thanks in advance and I’m open to any advice as I know my situation is unique

Members don't see this ad.

Geez... I'm sorry you have to go through this. You already know it isn't going to be easy, and chances are someone will reach out to the first dental school to confirm you left in good standing otherwise. What support do you have from the student dean at your last dental school?

Geez... I'm sorry you have to go through this. You already know it isn't going to be easy, and chances are someone will reach out to the first dental school to confirm you left in good standing otherwise. What support do you have from the student dean at your last dental school?

To be honest, never even thought of reaching out to the student dean but I have no doubt that they would be supportive. What would they possibly help with though? An evaluation?

Honestly I have no issues with my previous school being reached out to, I was dismissed for academic performance, not conduct violations. All caused by some personal issues, which this time around should not be an issue unless someone else decides to off themselves lol. I know it’s tough altogether but I’ve reached out to some schools and had some positive responses so I’m staying hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you know the old school can support you, good luck. You come in knowing specifically what you need from student support, so make sure these schools will be more than willing to help you. Given that it looks like dental school applications have started to slide down, the schools may be more willing to consider your situation.

As long as you know the old school can support you, good luck. You come in knowing specifically what you need from student support, so make sure these schools will be more than willing to help you. Given that it looks like dental school applications have started to slide down, the schools may be more willing to consider your situation.

Well I don’t know if the specific school would support me, they did offer me a letter of recommendation but I declined due to the nature of my leave from there I didn’t think it would be a strong letter.

Do you know what the student Dean would be able to help with? Do you think I should ask for a letter of support from them and have them email it to the schools I’ve applied to? Thanks for your help

Well I don’t know if the specific school would support me, they did offer me a letter of recommendation but I declined due to the nature of my leave from there I didn’t think it would be a strong letter.

Do you know what the student Dean would be able to help with? Do you think I should ask for a letter of support from them and have them email it to the schools I’ve applied to? Thanks for your help
It's too difficult to give general insight since dismissals often involve more information that you would know better than us. If I were faculty, I would want to make sure how you were taught the material and whether a similar course exists for your desired programs. Dental school curricula are not identical, and you would likely have to start over.

It's too difficult to give general insight since dismissals often involve more information that you would know better than us. If I were faculty, I would want to make sure how you were taught the material and whether a similar course exists for your desired programs. Dental school curricula are not identical, and you would likely have to start over.

Oh of course, I don’t expect to transfer any credits. My application/intention is to join as a D1. The only thing I expect to benefit me is my familiarity with the material.

Hey man I'm sorry that this happened to you in the past and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future. I admire your tenacity and dedication

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man I'm sorry that this happened to you in the past and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future. I admire your tenacity and dedication

Thank you for your kind words but I honestly think it was a good thing and I can appreciate the success that much more now