Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everybody! This is my first post on SDN, so apologies if this is in the wrong thread!! Also, additional apologies in advance for the block of text I am about to post.
I am a first time, first generation applicant graduating undergrad with a BS in biomedical sciences in Spring 2027. That said, my science GPA and last 45 GPA are reflective of my last year’s course work. I have completed all of my undergraduate pre-reqs, and will take my last 2 upper division pre-reqs in the Fall 2026 semester. I am from California, so my IS school is UC Davis. My primary question is whether it would be worth it for me to even try applying to veterinary school for matriculation in Fall 2027, or if I should take a gap year to strengthen my application. I made the decision to pursue vet med late junior year in university, so my veterinary experience hours are LOW. My plan is if I do apply to vet school this year, I am going to take the entirety of this summer and get as many hours as possible before Sep. 15, and I hope to have a minimum of 700 veterinary hours by that date. I am most interested in UC Davis, Washington State, Colorado State, and Oregon State. However, I am really open to going anywhere that accepts me, so no school is off limits (lol). As for current career interests, I am really loving shelter medicine. Surgery also appeals to me, and I plan on doing a residency+internship after vet school.
Cumulative GPA: 3.739
science GPA: 3.56
last 45: 3.61
I plan on raising these GPAs in my last two semesters (Fall 2026 and Spring 2027).
Any degrees achieved: BS in Biology (concentration of biomedical sciences) in Spring ‘27
GRE results: Not taking
Veterinary Experience:
-128.5 hours (and counting) volunteer veterinary assistant in a shelter. Very hands-on: shaving, vaccines, microchips, ear tipping, scrubbing, restraining for the doctor and tech for anesthesia and intubation, and post-op recovery. Got to watch different surgical procedures: an amputation, enucleation, bladder stone removal, and cryptorchids.
-Starting a volunteer/internship/shadowing opportunity at an equine vet at the end of April.
-Another shadowing/internship/volunteer/job related to veterinary hours. I am thinking of either a veterinary ophthalmologist or emergency medicine. Just anything to get me to the 700 hour range!
Animal Experience:
-29.5 hours volunteering at an animal shelter walking dogs.
-About ~5000 hours of equine experience. I have been leasing a horse for the past 6 years, horse-sitting, taking riding lessons, mucking stalls, and assisting in teaching beginner riding lessons.
-Around ~400 hours of petsitting (dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, reptiles)
-12 hours of wildlife rehab care
-Pet ownership
Research Experience:
-18 hours for a comparative morphology poster
Awards/scholarships/Achievements:
-Dean’s Honor List
-Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (Community College)
-Won awards for a science fiction short story I wrote (not sure if I should include this)
-Attended a program that my local FBI office hosted for 100 selected high school students (also not sure if I should include this since it was high school, which was a very long time ago)
Extracurriculars:
-Chinese Language Club (currently learning to speak mandarin)
-AVMA AWJAC (animal welfare contest)
-Playing piano
-Minority Association of Pre-Med Students Club (no pre-vet club at my university)
Employment:
-360 hours SPED paraeducator
-~1600 hours Barista
-~400 hours petsitting
-~240 hours bobarista
LORs:
-One from the veterinarian at the animal shelter who I have been working with closely and who has taught me so much!
- One from my cell biology professor who I got to know well over the semester and learned a lot from.
-One from my organismal biology lab professor who was really happy with my end-of-semester research proposal, and who I also got to know and build a rapport with over the semester.
Anyways - so sorry for the long block of text and thank you for anybody who takes the time to read all of it!! Overall, I feel most insecure of my achievements and veterinary hours. I know for sure I need to build those up, but I’m still not sure if my goal of 700 is even competitive. I would be grateful for any advice, and if applying this year is something feasible for me! Thank you again so much!!!
I am a first time, first generation applicant graduating undergrad with a BS in biomedical sciences in Spring 2027. That said, my science GPA and last 45 GPA are reflective of my last year’s course work. I have completed all of my undergraduate pre-reqs, and will take my last 2 upper division pre-reqs in the Fall 2026 semester. I am from California, so my IS school is UC Davis. My primary question is whether it would be worth it for me to even try applying to veterinary school for matriculation in Fall 2027, or if I should take a gap year to strengthen my application. I made the decision to pursue vet med late junior year in university, so my veterinary experience hours are LOW. My plan is if I do apply to vet school this year, I am going to take the entirety of this summer and get as many hours as possible before Sep. 15, and I hope to have a minimum of 700 veterinary hours by that date. I am most interested in UC Davis, Washington State, Colorado State, and Oregon State. However, I am really open to going anywhere that accepts me, so no school is off limits (lol). As for current career interests, I am really loving shelter medicine. Surgery also appeals to me, and I plan on doing a residency+internship after vet school.
Cumulative GPA: 3.739
science GPA: 3.56
last 45: 3.61
I plan on raising these GPAs in my last two semesters (Fall 2026 and Spring 2027).
Any degrees achieved: BS in Biology (concentration of biomedical sciences) in Spring ‘27
GRE results: Not taking
Veterinary Experience:
-128.5 hours (and counting) volunteer veterinary assistant in a shelter. Very hands-on: shaving, vaccines, microchips, ear tipping, scrubbing, restraining for the doctor and tech for anesthesia and intubation, and post-op recovery. Got to watch different surgical procedures: an amputation, enucleation, bladder stone removal, and cryptorchids.
-Starting a volunteer/internship/shadowing opportunity at an equine vet at the end of April.
-Another shadowing/internship/volunteer/job related to veterinary hours. I am thinking of either a veterinary ophthalmologist or emergency medicine. Just anything to get me to the 700 hour range!
Animal Experience:
-29.5 hours volunteering at an animal shelter walking dogs.
-About ~5000 hours of equine experience. I have been leasing a horse for the past 6 years, horse-sitting, taking riding lessons, mucking stalls, and assisting in teaching beginner riding lessons.
-Around ~400 hours of petsitting (dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, reptiles)
-12 hours of wildlife rehab care
-Pet ownership
Research Experience:
-18 hours for a comparative morphology poster
Awards/scholarships/Achievements:
-Dean’s Honor List
-Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (Community College)
-Won awards for a science fiction short story I wrote (not sure if I should include this)
-Attended a program that my local FBI office hosted for 100 selected high school students (also not sure if I should include this since it was high school, which was a very long time ago)
Extracurriculars:
-Chinese Language Club (currently learning to speak mandarin)
-AVMA AWJAC (animal welfare contest)
-Playing piano
-Minority Association of Pre-Med Students Club (no pre-vet club at my university)
Employment:
-360 hours SPED paraeducator
-~1600 hours Barista
-~400 hours petsitting
-~240 hours bobarista
LORs:
-One from the veterinarian at the animal shelter who I have been working with closely and who has taught me so much!
- One from my cell biology professor who I got to know well over the semester and learned a lot from.
-One from my organismal biology lab professor who was really happy with my end-of-semester research proposal, and who I also got to know and build a rapport with over the semester.
Anyways - so sorry for the long block of text and thank you for anybody who takes the time to read all of it!! Overall, I feel most insecure of my achievements and veterinary hours. I know for sure I need to build those up, but I’m still not sure if my goal of 700 is even competitive. I would be grateful for any advice, and if applying this year is something feasible for me! Thank you again so much!!!