WAMC: first time applicant

Started by lmu2021
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lmu2021

UTCVM c/o 2025
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I’ve been looking at info on here for a while, but this is my first time posting. Please let me know how my application looks. I’m applying for the first time and am really nervous.

Here are my stats:

Female, 21, first time applicant, Tennessee resident
Schools I’m applying to: Tennessee, LMU, Georgia, Auburn, and Oklahoma State

Degree: Veterinary Science with a minor in Chemistry

GPA:
Overall: 3.98
Science and last 45: close to a 3.98
(I made an A- in both semesters of Physics this year)

GRE: I’m still waiting on official scores, but I’m unofficial are 155V, 155Q. I think the writing portion went ok.

Veterinary Hours:
I have around 550 hours total. Most are with small or large animal vet. I have a few hours (~50) that focus specifically on shelter medicine.

Animal experience:
I have around 7000 hours because I was raised on a cattle farm. Around half of these hours are with cattle and the other half are with horses. This also includes around 1000 hours I have with goats, chickens, and small animals.

Research:
I have around 250 research hours and was awarded a grant to complete summer research last summer. I’ve presented at two conferences

Non-animal volunteer hours:
- volunteer at my church (750 hours)
- medical foreign mission trip (100 hours)
- other smaller volunteer opportunities

Non-animal employment:
-work study at my university in the biology department
-part time at my family’s business with more hours concentrated in the summer

Extracurricular
- orientation leader at my school for 1.5 yrs
- Student Government for all of undergrad (on the executive board for three years and am currently President)
- Resident Assistant for 2 years
- Pre-Vet Club for 3 years
- RHA for 1 year

Honors/Awards/Etc.
- Deans list every semester
- 4 endowed scholarships at my college
- academic scholarship at my college
- two college honor societies
- 3 RA awards
- Research award from my department at college
- Award from a Student Government conference

LOR:
- 2 vets I have shadowed
- My physics professor that I’ve worked closely with as an orientation leader
- my work study supervisor
- my research mentor

Thank you in advance!
 
Grades are excellent. I always tell people to talk up their research experience...the animal experience is obviously strong. Vet hours are a little low, but not impossibly so and if anything it’s possible schools will be a little more likely to lower their hour expectations this year because of covid. Overall, i think you have a very solid chance🙂