WAMC: first time, trad, low hours, high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StarClouds_

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I am interested in applying to several vet schools this summer as I am currently a junior undergrad. Overall, I am thinking that the experiences and recommendations from others could aid in me finding areas to improve in the most while I still have time. For schools in mind, I am thinking of Oregon state (IS), Washington state, and UC Davis. I am also thinking if vet schools look at the amount of credits taken per quarter in college. Thank you.

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA: 4.0
last 45: 4.0

Any degrees achieved: working on bachelor's in biology, honors

GRE results: None

Veterinary Experience:

- Veterinary assistant at a small animal clinic (switch between two hospitals that are under the same franchise) (450 hr so far)
- Veterinary shadowing between two clinics in high school for small animals (40 hrs)
- Inquired for exotic animal vet shadowing but got no response

Animal Experience:
- Kennel attendant at dog boarding place (48 hr)
- Animal shelter- cat care attendant (30 hr)

Research Experience: none so far

Awards/scholarships:

- Dean's list 3x
- President's list award in high school
- Does winning an art contest count? (high school)

Extracurriculars:
- Volunteered at a donation center during high school (100 hrs)
- Volunteered at food pantry (15 hrs so far, continue to do so part time)
- Honors society in high school (3 yrs)
- Pre-vet club member
- Plant science club member
- Have upcoming volunteering at an equine rehabilitation center starting in November

Employment:
- Fast food crew member (1 yr)
- Veterinary assistant (current)
- Kennel attendant
 
I think you'll be fine thanks to your academics. If you don't have success this year, get more (and more varied) hours, that's really the only area you can improve. As general advice, make sure you get really good LORs and write your essays well. And practice for any interviewing these schools do.

Some vet schools do take academic load/rigor into account, they usually say so in the admission info on their websites.

Do you have a plan for who to ask for LORs yet? The only significant concern I have is that with hours on the lower side, you might not get really strong vet LORs.
 
I think you'll be fine thanks to your academics. If you don't have success this year, get more (and more varied) hours, that's really the only area you can improve. As general advice, make sure you get really good LORs and write your essays well. And practice for any interviewing these schools do.

Some vet schools do take academic load/rigor into account, they usually say so in the admission info on their websites.

Do you have a plan for who to ask for LORs yet? The only significant concern I have is that with hours on the lower side, you might not get really strong vet LORs.
Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback, I appreciate it lots! In terms of LOR, I am currently thinking of my vertebrate zoology professor and 2 vets I have worked majority of my shifts as LOR. But from now and in the future it can change as I gain more experience. I am also planning to work full time in the vet office during summer to get more hours before my vet school application is due so I will definitely ask them before fall. Thank you again!