WAMC FL applicant (3.98/514) Asian

Started by darkbot7530
Tags Tags
wamc md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

darkbot7530

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys ill be applying for the first time this summer and I've been reading through a lot of posts and started to get a little neurotic. I graduated with a 3.98 gpa, and got a 514 on my mcat with a 124 CARS. Im a Florida resident and definitely plan on applying to all the Florida MD schools. My goal is to apply to MD programs, but i might sprinkle in some DO schools. Here are my ECs, any advise or help would be amazing! I graduated in December of 2024, so i will be in my first gap year. Thank yall!

Volunteering:

-2 different free clinics for underrepresented communities (500 hours total as both an MA and Scribe)

-Student teacher and curriculum writer for a organization that teaches neuroscience to underserved communities in my area (100+ hours, been a part of it for 2 years).

Leadership

-Co-founded a shadowing club at my university (1.5 years on the board)

-On the board of a religious youth group, very community based and led a couple of events (3+ years, weekly involvement)

Research

-1500+ hours in 2 labs (400 and 1100 respectively), and i have 1 pub with another manuscript being submitted at this time.

Clinical non-volunteering

-Started an ER scribe position early Feb, will be doing 24ish hours weekly.
 
Hey guys, im a first time applicant who has seen too many horror stories on reddit. I want to be able to draft a strong school list, and wanted to see what you guys think about my app. Please feel free to give me any feedback about my app overall, ECs, schools to apply to, etc. Im a first time applicant who just started their gap year and could use all the help i can get. Thank yall!

3.98 spga and overall gpa
514 MCAT (130/124/129/131)
Florida Resident
Asian
Attended a smaller Undergrad in Florida, graduated in December 2024
550 hours at 2 different free healthcare clinics for underserved populations (as an MA and scribe). Just starting an ER scribing position this week, will do 24-26 hours weekly (Expected 200-250 hours at the time of app)
1500 research hours (2 different labs) at a T20 institution, with 1 mid author pup and another manuscript submitted (2nd author)
50 shadowing hours across pediatrics, IM, Vascular surgery, neurology and nephrology
100 hours from tutoring in underserved populations (will continue in gap year), part of a leadership religious grouth that sets up weekly events (a part of it for 4 years)
Played intramural sports for 4 years (4 different sports each year), Leadership position in religious group mentioned above, co-founder of a shadowing club at my university (1.5 years on the board)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you, ill take down this post and made a new one with the proper format
You can edit the one you have. You don't need to take it down.

The information you provided is extremely sparse. Are you employed as a teacher? What's a shadowing club? How community-based is your religious group? I'm skeptical you have service orientation activities, and you must have 150 hours on your application when you submit or you risk getting screened out at most schools.

To that end, I have no sense of your purpose as a physician.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You should accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as homeless shelter, food bank, etc. before you submit your application. Otherwise , you could be screened out at some schools. I suggest these schools if you obtain those hours:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
 
You can edit the one you have. You don't need to take it down.

The information you provided is extremely sparse. Are you employed as a teacher? What's a shadowing club? How community-based is your religious group? I'm skeptical you have service orientation activities, and you must have 150 hours on your application when you submit or you risk getting screened out at most schools.

To that end, I have no sense of your purpose as a physician.
To be honest this is a tad rude lol. But ill give you the details you ask of. I have 100 non clinical hours as a student teacher. It is not a job, it is strictly volunteering where we go to an organization in our local downtown to educate students. My religious based group is strictly community oriented. It is a boys youth group and we have many volunteering evens such as feeding the homeless, career fairs, even sporting events. The shadowing club is a club i aided in organizing and it provides a virtual shadowing opportunity for those who lack the connections or don't know where to get started. Ill have over 100 non-clinical volunteering from my youth group which will help exceed the 150 mark. Additionally, I've volunteered at free clinics for the past 3 years, which is strictly serving underserved communities. thank you for your reply
 
You should accumulate 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering such as homeless shelter, food bank, etc. before you submit your application. Otherwise , you could be screened out at some schools. I suggest these schools if you obtain those hours:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
Thank you for your reply! I should have been a little more specific, i have over 150 non clinical hours, i just worded it poorly above. Those hours would come from 2 different activities. Do you have any other feedback on my app? Thank you for helping with the school list, I've seen people recommend admit.org, is that a good place to look as well? Finally, are there any "reach" schools you would recommend with my stats and ECs!
 
What does the 100 hours of non clinical volunteering with your youth group involve ?
These hours would include setting up monthly events over a course of 3 years (refugee tutoring, career fairs, feeding the homeless in downtown Jacksonville) as well as having weekly youth gatherings with the aim of strengthening our brotherhood. This would include giving talks about many different subjects that are relevant to high schoolers/ college level individuals, and having an activity (sports, or other games) set up afterwards. I haven't fully counted the hours but it'll be a lot more than 100, and i was on the leadership board as well which included weekly board meetings and event planning, etc.
 
To be honest this is a tad rude lol. But ill give you the details you ask of. I have 100 non clinical hours as a student teacher. It is not a job, it is strictly volunteering where we go to an organization in our local downtown to educate students. My religious based group is strictly community oriented. It is a boys youth group and we have many volunteering evens such as feeding the homeless, career fairs, even sporting events. The shadowing club is a club i aided in organizing and it provides a virtual shadowing opportunity for those who lack the connections or don't know where to get started. Ill have over 100 non-clinical volunteering from my youth group which will help exceed the 150 mark. Additionally, I've volunteered at free clinics for the past 3 years, which is strictly serving underserved communities. thank you for your reply
Thanks for the details. I always suggest that when it comes to these WAMC assessments, never let us assume we know what you're doing. Most of the time we'll probably be wrong (but that doesn't stop other adcoms).
 
Thanks for the details. I always suggest that when it comes to these WAMC assessments, never let us assume we know what you're doing. Most of the time we'll probably be wrong (but that doesn't stop other adcoms).
I appreciate the advice, and any feedback with this updated info would be great! Thanls for taking the time out!
 
Thanks for the details. I always suggest that when it comes to these WAMC assessments, never let us assume we know what you're doing. Most of the time we'll probably be wrong (but that doesn't stop other adcoms).
I never got your opinion on my app or my chances, assuming I get my clinical hours up more what do you think? @Goro any advice from ya would help too!! Just wanna be ready for this cycle!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never got your opinion on my app or my chances, assuming I get my clinical hours up more what do you think? @Goro any advice from ya would help too!! Just wanna be ready for this cycle!
Your descriptions don't make it easy to discern your purpose as a physician, which is why I'm waiting for your reply. 🙂 How does your research experience factor in? What underserved communities do you want to impact (as there are many)? What if state regulations don't allow you to serve them (in Florida or similar states)? Are you applying to NHSC or HPSP? I'm not convinced you have enough service orientation hours because your answers don't itemize your activities adequately or drop appropriate details so I can figure out what you do or who you partner with: DESC? Love Lunches | Helping Homeless Jacksonville & St. Augustine?? Non-Profit | JaxTHRIVE | Refugee Tutoring | Jacksonville, FL??? The schools closest to you would be familiar with these organizations; the rest of the country wouldn't know to give you credit unless you mention it. Again, it's what you disclose that gives me a better idea of your chances.

Your W/A descriptions and secondary essay/mission fit will hold the key to your success. I don't argue much with others who make lists for you here. The clearer your purpose makes sense through your activities and your expectations, the more comfortable I can surmise your chances for an interview. (The rest is up to you.)
 
Last edited:
Your descriptions don't make it easy to discern your purpose as a physician, which is why I'm waiting for your reply. 🙂 How does your research experience factor in? What underserved communities do you want to impact (as there are many)? What if state regulations don't allow you to serve them (in Florida or similar states)? Are you applying to NHSC or HPSP? I'm not convinced you have enough service orientation hours because your answers don't itemize your activities adequately or drop appropriate details so I can figure out what you do or who you partner with: DESC? Love Lunches | Helping Homeless Jacksonville & St. Augustine?? Non-Profit | JaxTHRIVE | Refugee Tutoring | Jacksonville, FL??? The schools closest to you would be familiar with these organizations; the rest of the country wouldn't know to give you credit unless you mention it. Again, it's what you disclose that gives me a better idea of your chances.

Your W/A descriptions and secondary essay/mission fit will hold the key to your success. I don't argue much with others who make lists for you here. The clearer your purpose makes sense through your activities and your expectations, the more comfortable I can surmise your chances for an interview. (The rest is up to you.)
My purpose and desire to be a physician revolves around being there for others during a time of vulnerability (thats why i put a lot of focus in volunteering at clinics for underserved communities). Research to me was a way to learn more about the science behind the complex conditions i saw at that clinic. Every patient came in with serious chronic conditions and doing research in those fields was a passion of mine to investigate it further. Stemming of my research, i wanted to apply it beyond just writing papers or presenting posters. The insitiution i was at volunteer tutored at a few community centers in underserved regions of my city. The science behind these was the same as my research topic, so i was able to teach them through creativly writing activites. To me being a phsyican involves a lot of education and its an underrapprecated ability physicians have. As to name a few organizations ive volunteered with, through my service in my local religious youth group, which i have been a member of since 2019/20, we have had many volunteering events with habijax (building and furnishing homes for low SES populations), PD jax (feeding the homeless) and basic math and reading tutoring for refugee groups at out religous center. I hope this helps, if youd like any additional information im happy to help! I do not plan on applying to NHSC or HPSP.
 
My purpose and desire to be a physician revolves around being there for others during a time of vulnerability (thats why i put a lot of focus in volunteering at clinics for underserved communities). Research to me was a way to learn more about the science behind the complex conditions i saw at that clinic. Every patient came in with serious chronic conditions and doing research in those fields was a passion of mine to investigate it further. Stemming of my research, i wanted to apply it beyond just writing papers or presenting posters.
Nurses are more present during times of vulnerability compared to doctors. Have you done any chaplain work? Arguably, they connect better than doctors generally. Have you ever worked as an end-of-life doula? Exactly how challenging have the conversations been? How about assisted living or hospice? I don't see that you have this.

Furthermore, tell me about a time when you felt you were most vulnerable and needed others (you don't have to post it... consider it essay/interview prep).

Also, not all patients want to be the focus of your curiosity. They don't want to be seen as a collection of health complaints. They may already have received lectures and explaining about what they need to do, and they sometimes can't comply (not because they don't want to). They just want someone to be a witness to their lives. Again, nothing that confirms this purpose/desire shines in your activities described above. Teaching young kids is easy; teaching dispirited individuals who have lost their homes or employment or finances due to hurricanes, wildfires, or unspeakable disasters is not.

As a Florida resident, tell me if you have worked with scared teenagers who need to escape the state for urgently needed medical care. What have you done (or your organization)? Have you consoled peers or other children if they were adversely affected by firearms violence? Why one should get vaccinated or give up smoking (including e-cigs)? Crisis hotlines? Maybe you have in your free clinic work, but it's just not coming through here.

The insitiution i was at volunteer tutored at a few community centers in underserved regions of my city. The science behind these was the same as my research topic, so i was able to teach them through creativly writing activites. To me being a phsyican involves a lot of education and its an underrapprecated ability physicians have. As to name a few organizations ive volunteered with, through my service in my local religious youth group, which i have been a member of since 2019/20, we have had many volunteering events with habijax (building and furnishing homes for low SES populations), PD jax (feeding the homeless) and basic math and reading tutoring for refugee groups at out religous center. I hope this helps, if youd like any additional information im happy to help! I do not plan on applying to NHSC or HPSP.
What I wanted much earlier in this thread is an hours breakdown, which you have avoided. I want to know how many hours you spent refurbishing/renovating homes, feeding the homeless, and tutoring. Each. That is what makes me question if you are really ready for specific questions in the application process, including interviews.

I think not considering NHSC or HPSP is a mistake. If your purpose is to comfort those who are most vulnerable, we need great doctors deployed in our communities, especially rural and economically under-resourced or marginalized. Maybe you'll consider PSLP later on, but with the current White House's intentions, it's unclear whether PSLP will truly facilitate those who are passionate to make a difference to those vulnerable communities.

In summary, your metrics look good. The challenge is making your experience consistent with your purpose. I don't see a coherent connection based on what is provided. Honestly without your true application including LORs, it's just a guess, but experience says that if these areas are not adequately addressed, your outcome may be more disappointing if you only shoot for the schools you dream to attend. (How's that for hedging.)
 
Last edited:
Nurses are more present during times of vulnerability compared to doctors. Have you done any chaplain work? Arguably, they connect better than doctors generally. Have you ever worked as an end-of-life doula? Exactly how challenging have the conversations been? How about assisted living or hospice? I don't see that you have this.

Furthermore, tell me about a time when you felt you were most vulnerable and needed others (you don't have to post it... consider it essay/interview prep).

Also, not all patients want to be the focus of your curiosity. They don't want to be seen as a collection of health complaints. They may already have received lectures and explaining about what they need to do, and they sometimes can't comply (not because they don't want to). They just want someone to be a witness to their lives. Again, nothing that confirms this purpose/desire shines in your activities described above. Teaching young kids is easy; teaching dispirited individuals who have lost their homes or employment or finances due to hurricanes, wildfires, or unspeakable disasters is not.

As a Florida resident, tell me if you have worked with scared teenagers who need to escape the state for urgently needed medical care. What have you done (or your organization)? Have you consoled peers or other children if they were adversely affected by firearms violence? Why one should get vaccinated or give up smoking (including e-cigs)? Crisis hotlines? Maybe you have in your free clinic work, but it's just not coming through here.


What I wanted much earlier in this thread is an hours breakdown, which you have avoided. I want to know how many hours you spent refurbishing/renovating homes, feeding the homeless, and tutoring. Each. That is what makes me question if you are really ready for specific questions in the application process, including interviews.

I think not considering NHSC or HPSP is a mistake. If your purpose is to comfort those who are most vulnerable, we need great doctors deployed in our communities, especially rural and economically under-resourced or marginalized. Maybe you'll consider PSLP later on, but with the current White House's intentions, it's unclear whether PSLP will truly facilitate those who are passionate to make a difference to those vulnerable communBy times of vulnerability, sur ei may not have been with individuals w
 
Nurses are more present during times of vulnerability compared to doctors. Have you done any chaplain work? Arguably, they connect better than doctors generally. Have you ever worked as an end-of-life doula? Exactly how challenging have the conversations been? How about assisted living or hospice? I don't see that you have this.

Furthermore, tell me about a time when you felt you were most vulnerable and needed others (you don't have to post it... consider it essay/interview prep).

Also, not all patients want to be the focus of your curiosity. They don't want to be seen as a collection of health complaints. They may already have received lectures and explaining about what they need to do, and they sometimes can't comply (not because they don't want to). They just want someone to be a witness to their lives. Again, nothing that confirms this purpose/desire shines in your activities described above. Teaching young kids is easy; teaching dispirited individuals who have lost their homes or employment or finances due to hurricanes, wildfires, or unspeakable disasters is not.

As a Florida resident, tell me if you have worked with scared teenagers who need to escape the state for urgently needed medical care. What have you done (or your organization)? Have you consoled peers or other children if they were adversely affected by firearms violence? Why one should get vaccinated or give up smoking (including e-cigs)? Crisis hotlines? Maybe you have in your free clinic work, but it's just not coming through here.


What I wanted much earlier in this thread is an hours breakdown, which you have avoided. I want to know how many hours you spent refurbishing/renovating homes, feeding the homeless, and tutoring. Each. That is what makes me question if you are really ready for specific questions in the application process, including interviews.

I think not considering NHSC or HPSP is a mistake. If your purpose is to comfort those who are most vulnerable, we need great doctors deployed in our communities, especially rural and economically under-resourced or marginalized. Maybe you'll consider PSLP later on, but with the current White House's intentions, it's unclear whether PSLP will truly facilitate those who are passionate to make a difference to those vulnerable communities.

In summary, your metrics look good. The challenge is making your experience consistent with your purpose. I don't see a coherent connection based on what is provided. Honestly without your true application including LORs, it's just a guess, but experience says that if these areas are not adequately addressed, your outcome may be more disappointing if you only shoot for the schools you dream to attend. (How's that for hedging.)
The work i did was serve as the first individual and point of contact for individuals who are 200% below poverty. When these individuals came into our clinic, a lot of them ive sat down with and had a conversation with, the intention of having this place me somewhere they feel comfortable. From their persepctive, and from the stories i recall, this was the first time in decades they have ebtered a doctors office. That brigns anxiety, and a lot of uncertainty. In the past experiences of a majority of these patients, they were intructed to do this or take that. Here in my experience, my goal was to make this place an hospitable environement, and while shadowing the physcians, i watched their ability to build this relationship with the patient. And through time i saw the positive effects this had on their health. This i felt motivated to do becuase of a situation where i was alone in the ED with a family member in critical condition, feeling lost and scared. The attending physician brough this comfort to me which was really what sparked my interest in medicine.

These students i teach come from backgrounds that lack a quality education with many of them having single parents. By getting to know eahc of these students and their unique stories, it makes my work feel more valued. Just as you mentioned a lt fo indicividuals dont like being lectured, and the non-compliance part, ive not only seen that in the clinic, but i see that in the students. None of these students want to sit in a lecture, they may not be compliant either due to their nature. By working around this by hand crafting personalized acitivites im wokring towards not only being a instructor, but a friend, someone they can talk to, someone they can excitedly give updates about somethign as small as how their day was going.

As for the hours, its something i missed, not avoided, these threads are a lot more specific than others on reddit. I would say ive spent 2 summers teaching the refugees on a weekly basis (50-60 hours), volunteered at habitat for humanity a few months yearly (64 hours) and feeding the homeless i would estimate to be around 75 hours, not exact as i havent added them up yet. Aside from these i have provided mentorship in both religious activites and career mentorship.

I have not worked with teens who have ahd those tragedies, but a lot of the adults ive seen at the clinic and have interacted directly with have endured many similar harships, battling with addictions, etc. Thank you again!
 
As for the hours, its something i missed, not avoided, these threads are a lot more specific than others on reddit. I would say ive spent 2 summers teaching the refugees on a weekly basis (50-60 hours), volunteered at habitat for humanity a few months yearly (64 hours) and feeding the homeless i would estimate to be around 75 hours, not exact as i havent added them up yet. Aside from these i have provided mentorship in both religious activites and career mentorship.
We have experts here on SDN who have years of experience in admissions, and not all of us know each other. (I don't know, I'm sure there are experts on reddit, and some of them cross post here and give advice too.) We're here to help, but it's more like Shark Tank... you understand we can sound harsh because we want you to succeed, not because we revel in your shortcomings. We're better than that (I hope).

So perhaps your homeless work and Habitat work gets you closer to 150 hours at submission. Keep going with those, and learn how you highlight those activities and hours in your description. We have our rubrics to answer to, and if you don't make it easy for us to itemize your service orientation activities, you simply won't get any credit and could get screened out.
 
We have experts here on SDN who have years of experience in admissions, and not all of us know each other. (I don't know, I'm sure there are experts on reddit, and some of them cross post here and give advice too.) We're here to help, but it's more like Shark Tank... you understand we can sound harsh because we want you to succeed, not because we revel in your shortcomings. We're better than that (I hope).

So perhaps your homeless work and Habitat work gets you closer to 150 hours at submission. Keep going with those, and learn how you highlight those activities and hours in your description. We have our rubrics to answer to, and if you don't make it easy for us to itemize your service orientation activities, you simply won't get any credit and could get screened out.
Absolutely and I do appreciate that feedback. I have a goal to stay in Florida ideally. I believe that yes gathering the hours from those organization and my tutoring hours in underserved areas will get me beyond the 150 screening requirement you mention of. I appreciate all the feedback, and I guess as a final question I have for you, how do you feel about my chances all in all considering my overall app and the school list faha added? I will add a few T30s such as Mayo, and I’ll look into 1-2 more. Once again thank you sir 🫡
 
Absolutely and I do appreciate that feedback. I have a goal to stay in Florida ideally. I believe that yes gathering the hours from those organization and my tutoring hours in underserved areas will get me beyond the 150 screening requirement you mention of. I appreciate all the feedback, and I guess as a final question I have for you, how do you feel about my chances all in all considering my overall app and the school list faha added? I will add a few T30s such as Mayo, and I’ll look into 1-2 more. Once again thank you sir 🫡
I think you are selectively ignoring my observation not to include tutoring or teaching as they are not service orientation activities that help you stand out. Those hours are not to be included. If your estimates are right, fine, you're at 139 hours, but you have to make sure this is articulated in your application and not grouped into a bigger pile. We tend to cut the pie as we think of it (each activity has equal hours so we'll only credit you 100 if you don't say otherwise). Faha's list clearly states "if you obtain those hours." Are you just going to ignore this warning?

If you want some hope, then your in-states may be flexible, but you must do better with demonstrating you are living your purpose and values as a future physician.
 
I think you are selectively ignoring my observation not to include tutoring or teaching as they are not service orientation activities that help you stand out. Those hours are not to be included. If your estimates are right, fine, you're at 139 hours, but you have to make sure this is articulated in your application and not grouped into a bigger pile. We tend to cut the pie as we think of it (each activity has equal hours so we'll only credit you 100 if you don't say otherwise). Faha's list clearly states "if you obtain those hours." Are you just going to ignore this warning?

If you want some hope, then your in-states may be flexible, but you must do better with demonstrating you are living your purpose and values as a future physician.
So the varying hours from those organizations are things I’ve accumulated through my youth organization over the last 5-6 years, stretching back to high school but it’s in the organization I’m still a part of. Can you explain how the tutoring in underserved populations wouldn’t be considered non-clinical service? I just don’t fully understand, thank ya
 
So the varying hours from those organizations are things I’ve accumulated through my youth organization over the last 5-6 years, stretching back to high school but it’s in the organization I’m still a part of. Can you explain how the tutoring in underserved populations wouldn’t be considered non-clinical service? I just don’t fully understand, thank ya
You can classify tutoring refugees or underserved populations as non-clinical service. However, adcoms seek service that differentiates applicants from the rest of the pool (in other words, we can internally reclassify or give a different tag to your activities in our application management program). Every prehealth applicant does tutoring, whether it's peers, children, high schoolers, underserved populations, English for immigrants, or adult literacy/GED. Sure, we'll give you a little credit that you've worked with under-resourced or marginalized groups, but your work counts for something different.

Read and use the rubric

Teaching is also an academic competency. If you don't know the material, you can't teach it (well). Once you gain a level of expertise, you can teach, and teaching/tutoring/mentoring are generally expected of all members of the academic professoriate and their grad students. You are a subject matter expert, not someone providing a service to address someone's needs for living.