WAMC for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunaldo

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are fine for lower/mid tier MD schools. The only thing I’d recommend is more clinical experience, but I’m sure you’d still do fine with what you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope everyone who's reading this is staying inside and is well. After having my MCAT cancelled twice due to our current crisis, I'm almost certain of forgetting about retaking my MCAT and just applying with what I have. I am currently in a combined BA/MD program, but my MCAT was too low for the cut-off so I'd have to retake or drop out of the program. I'm saying this because you'll see that I have weak EC's and stuff, due to me being cocky and assuming I'd pass the MCAT cut-off, so "why would I need to do any EC's?" For those of you who are still pre-med, nothing's certain; don't end up like me. Furthermore, I need to know if my application list needs to be majority DO or MD. I'm only shooting for SUNY MD's. On a tight budget so not even considering top 100. That being said, if there's like an OOS friendly school within my range I have no problem paying for a flight to Alaska for the interview.

cGPA: 3.987 | sGPA: 3.967

513|130/125/128/130

NY

Asian

City university (lowest level 4-year univ)

Clinical Volunteering: ~150 hours: walking/taking patients back and forth, fetching doctors equipment, preparing ultrasounds, comforting children

Research: Very minimal; ~120 hrs; poster presentation; have a good LOR from PI though, as she was also my bio professor

Shadowing: ~200 hours: physiatry/orthopod, pediatrics, ER, cardiology, MICU/Surgery ICU

Volunteering:
Every 2/3 years I go on a missions trip with my church (Ukraine; Navajo, Arizona; Puerto Rico) mostly doing construction and disaster relief, but also we do children's summer camp and superficial medical aid (this is the beginning of the "why" I want to be a physician). Usually 2 weeks at a time, but training takes a lot of time.
Meals on Wheels senior center volunteer (120 hr): packaging meals, deliveries, meal prep

Other EC's: Between June and September I work full full time, like doubles every day, for the past 4 years. 1200+ hrs (if I'm supposed to specify hours)

Awards: Nothing really. I got this english award (I'm a creative writing major), but I think it comes off as conceited if I put this on my app since it's really nothing.

Notes: I don't know if this is important but it is to me. I commute 4-5 hours a day for school. Sure, on paper, I could get a large amount of studying done during this time, but if you know NYC MTA... then you know... So between this and work (I work during the winters too, but I don't have pay stubs to confirm my hours so I'm not putting it on my app), I couldn't really do a lot during my time in college. So, I just chose to focus primarily on my schoolwork than extracurriculars.

School List:
All SUNYs
Temple
Drexel
Both Rutgers
Jefferson
I'd really like a general list of schools for me to look at within my range, both MD and DO, or even a link to a post that I could refer to someone who asked the same question with similar application strength.
What's your BA/MD program MCAT cutoff? Did you try for an extension?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your BA/MD program MCAT cutoff? Did you try for an extension?
cutoff: 509|127/126/128/127 (yes they don't add up to 509, you can't just hit the individual minimum)
I'm supposed to take my last MCAT (can take up to three, but I've only taken it once thus far) in April. This has been pushed, and I got an extension to May. That's been cancelled and I doubt that I could even schedule for a June because everyone is in my position scrambling. Best case scenario doesn't seem realistic: to take a July exam, get my scores in early August, have ~10 days to get my affairs in order before starting school (if I would pass). I'm pretty sure they're gonna say forget it, you lost your shot, you're on your own now. So now I'm just trying to make a plan

having minimum score cutoffs like those are pretty intense. kudos to you for getting a total score about that despite not meeting the subsection requirements
you will get into MD schools one way or another with your app

having minimum score cutoffs like those are pretty intense. kudos to you for getting a total score about that despite not meeting the subsection requirements
you will get into MD schools one way or another with your app
4 years ago when i applied to the program the cutoffs were 65% across the board... kids are getting smarter

cutoff: 509|127/126/128/127 (yes they don't add up to 509, you can't just hit the individual minimum)
I'm supposed to take my last MCAT (can take up to three, but I've only taken it once thus far) in April. This has been pushed, and I got an extension to May. That's been cancelled and I doubt that I could even schedule for a June because everyone is in my position scrambling. Best case scenario doesn't seem realistic: to take a July exam, get my scores in early August, have ~10 days to get my affairs in order before starting school (if I would pass). I'm pretty sure they're gonna say forget it, you lost your shot, you're on your own now. So now I'm just trying to make a plan
It appears you missed CARS sub-section by 1? Did you try to get an exemption?

Man, it feels like a shame to lose a guaranteed acceptance due to not gettin a 126 CARS, but CARS is definitely challenging. Do you feel like you could accomplish that if you retook the MCAT? Is it possible to take it again before you need to, or is your deadline soon?

Regardless, your stats are great, so you’d likely get into another school, but clinical and volunteer hours are lacking like you mentioned. I would try to get some clinical job and do more volunteering between now and Fall 2021 so that at the least you can update schools with your increase in experience in secondary apps and interviews.

It appears you missed CARS sub-section by 1? Did you try to get an exemption?
No... I haven't explicitly asked for exemption. But I've been going back and forth with the president of the program and the dean of admissions to the medical school i would matriculate to and they are all well aware of my scores and situation, and its been a constant loop of them telling me to schedule a later MCAT, reschedule it earlier, getting my MCAT cancelled. I've even jokingly asked my advisor (president of the program) to argue on my behalf to let me in and he said that's only happened once in the past decade. So, I'm sure an exemption is definitely not on their mind. thanks for thinking like me though lol glad I'm not the crazy one asking for them to not ruin my life because of 1-3 CARS questions

Man, it feels like a shame to lose a guaranteed acceptance due to not gettin a 126 CARS, but CARS is definitely challenging. Do you feel like you could accomplish that if you retook the MCAT? Is it possible to take it again before you need to, or is your deadline soon?

Regardless, your stats are great, so you’d likely get into another school, but clinical and volunteer hours are lacking like you mentioned. I would try to get some clinical job and do more volunteering between now and Fall 2021 so that at the least you can update schools with your increase in experience in secondary apps and interviews.
CARS is always 50/50 for me. preparing for 4/4 mcat, I was constantly hitting 127 (cutoff is 126), which is slightly better than my first time around studying for the mcat. I did think I would've passed had I taken it last week, but far from definite. The dean of admissions, i assume, is figuring out a new deadline for me, again. But they're making me extend my studying process by the month which is demoralizing, and I just want a set in stone answer from them instead of flopping me around. And thanks for the advice on clinical and volunteering, I'll for sure jump on that whenever we could leave our homes safely.

No... I haven't explicitly asked for exemption. But I've been going back and forth with the president of the program and the dean of admissions to the medical school i would matriculate to and they are all well aware of my scores and situation, and its been a constant loop of them telling me to schedule a later MCAT, reschedule it earlier, getting my MCAT cancelled. I've even jokingly asked my advisor (president of the program) to argue on my behalf to let me in and he said that's only happened once in the past decade. So, I'm sure an exemption is definitely not on their mind. thanks for thinking like me though lol glad I'm not the crazy one asking for them to not ruin my life because of 1-3 CARS questions

Fight for the exemption. Show that you want it badly enough that you get it
May or may not work in the end but this is your shot

Reactions: 1 users
Who knows it may turn out blessing in disguise of potential healthcare draft.

CARS is always 50/50 for me. preparing for 4/4 mcat, I was constantly hitting 127 (cutoff is 126), which is slightly better than my first time around studying for the mcat. I did think I would've passed had I taken it last week, but far from definite. The dean of admissions, i assume, is figuring out a new deadline for me, again. But they're making me extend my studying process by the month which is demoralizing, and I just want a set in stone answer from them instead of flopping me around. And thanks for the advice on clinical and volunteering, I'll for sure jump on that whenever we could leave our homes safely.

I understand the pain of having to continue studying for the MCAT, but I also warn you not to give in now. Continuing to study for the MCAT for another 1-3 months would not be the hardest thing you would have to do in this journey to becoming a doctor, and doing it could potentially be your ticket into med school. Don't let your foot off the gas now! You got this!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Fight for the exemption. Show that you want it badly enough that you get it
May or may not work in the end but this is your shot
Well this didn't work out so well LOL. I was just old I have to schedule a June MCAT once the scheduling system re-opens or they're dismissing me from the program.

• Angry
  • Wow
Well this didn't work out so well LOL. I was just old I have to schedule a June MCAT once the scheduling system re-opens or they're dismissing me from the program.

Dismissing a 513 boy with a GPA like that due to a one point discrepancy on the CARS, is incredibly foolish. But at least you tried

One thing you have to take into account before rescheduling for the MCAT - are you confident that you can meet all four subscore benchmarks again? Getting a lower score than your original score will be problematic, not only because you will be disqualified from your program, but also because it will hurt your chances at admission to other MD schools.

There is no doubt that you will receive several interviews, and very likely acceptances, if you apply broadly to other MD schools with the stats you've got. Throw in some top tier DO schools in there as well for safety.

Just my 2 cents. You know yourself and what you are capable of

Dismissing a 513 boy with a GPA like that due to a one point discrepancy on the CARS, is incredibly foolish. But at least you tried

One thing you have to take into account before rescheduling for the MCAT - are you confident that you can meet all four subscore benchmarks again? Getting a lower score than your original score will be problematic, not only because you will be disqualified from your program, but also because it will hurt your chances at admission to other MD schools.

There is no doubt that you will receive several interviews, and very likely acceptances, if you apply broadly to other MD schools with the stats you've got. Throw in some top tier DO schools in there as well for safety.

Just my 2 cents. You know yourself and what you are capable of
Great advice moving forward... For now, I'll just sulk a bit.

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I was just offered a couple new options.

1) Opt out of my program now, and take an interview NEXT WEEK (most likely Tuesday)
- I've never prepared for a medical school interview
- I'm usually pretty good with interviews
- Like other, I do well in interviews because it's face to face. This, however, would be my first "skype" interview ever

2) Take a June MCAT (if available), if I get in, great. If I fail again, i have a deferral for next cycle where I would be accepted for the Fall 2021 entering class, contingent on passing the requirements on my third and final MCAT sometime in the next 11 months.
- Passing the MCAT for me is always going to be somewhat of a 50/50. My CARS will never go above 127 on practice tests (but who knows maybe it would if I practice for a whole year without college to worry about)
- if I "fail" these next two MCATs (meaning my scores won't significantly increase from 513), then I BELIEVE BUT AM NOT SURE that my chances of MD are gone and DO extremely hurt.

Could anyone offer some advice or maybe debunk some of my beliefs?

What would the interview be for?

How have you prepared for CARS in the past?

What would the interview be for?

How have you prepared for CARS in the past?
Pretend we're in January and everyone is still waiting for interviews/acceptances/rejections. This interview is exactly that, to get into this particular med school now and matriculate this fall, except obviously by now many more seats are taken. That being said, I'm skeptical because there must be so few seats left by now. I was told by my advisor (also president of my program) that my seat is "reserved" until the medical school knows my "fate." So it's not like I'm competing with others, it would just be a "do we like him and let him in or not?" I don't know if I should believe this, am reading too much into it, or whatever.

I've prepared with just CARS overload. NS (FL and 109 section book), TPR (CARS workbook), AAMC (everything), Uworld. I've always been bad at critical reading stuff. Timing is always a problem (I always finish but never comfortably) because I allot myself 9-11 minutes per passage. Like others, I'm good at getting it down to the best two choices, but often times choose the wrong one because of faulty logic or timing. I've tried to keep "logs" of my CARS progression (type of question, why I got it right/wrong, how to rectify, etc.) but I found this useless after a couple months.

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I was just offered a couple new options.

1) Opt out of my program now, and take an interview NEXT WEEK (most likely Tuesday)
- Like other, I do well in interviews because it's face to face. This, however, would be my first "skype" interview ever

2) Take a June MCAT (if available), if I get in, great. If I fail again, i have a deferral for next cycle where I would be accepted for the Fall 2021 entering class, contingent on passing the requirements on my third and final MCAT sometime in the next 11 months.
- Passing the MCAT for me is always going to be somewhat of a 50/50. My CARS will never go above 127 on practice tests (but who knows maybe it would if I practice for a whole year without college to worry about)
- if I "fail" these next two MCATs (meaning my scores won't significantly increase from 513), then I BELIEVE BUT AM NOT SURE that my chances of MD are gone and DO extremely hurt.

No matter what, your next MCAT attempt must be above 513. Any lower may hold you back from getting MD interviews. With your current score, there is no doubt that you will get several MD interviews as long as your essay and EC's sections are also done well. According to you, you are pretty good at interviews - that's awesome. I'd go with the interview.

Sticking with the program at this point, going for second or third MCAT attempts despite a first 513, is not okay, unless you are confident you can hit all four MCAT subscore benchmarks.

With your score, GPA, and ECs, you are already set to get into medical school even if this direct entry program doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I italicized, bolded, and underlined "not okay" in previous post for emphasis.

I’m confused how you have an interview offer? You were able to apply this cycle? So you got a super late interview invited recently? I would NOT leave the program you’re in to attend the interview, as you can’t expect that an interview this late in the game would result in an acceptance.

I think that you can practice hard enough to get a 127 CARS so I’d suggest you stick with it and retake the MCAT. You’re so close. If you aren’t able to get the CARS score you want this time then perhaps it would be worth leaving the program and reapplying next cycle, but I truly think if you practice enough you can achieve that score of 127

EDIT: I’d like to add that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to applying to med schools. I had similar stats as you (3.85 GPA, 510 MCAT). Obviously a little bit lower, but not drastic. I received 3 interviews this cycle and I’m sitting on 2 WLs and another I’m waiting to hear back from. If I had the opportunity right now to simply get a 127 on CARS for a guaranteed acceptance vs applying again, I would definitely take that opportunity. An additional question: will the program superstore your subsections?

Last edited:
I’m confused how you have an interview offer? You were able to apply this cycle? So you got a super late interview invited recently? I would NOT leave the program you’re in to attend the interview, as you can’t expect that an interview this late in the game would result in an acceptance.

I think that you can practice hard enough to get a 127 CARS so I’d suggest you stick with it and retake the MCAT. You’re so close. If you aren’t able to get the CARS score you want this time then perhaps it would be worth leaving the program and reapplying next cycle, but I truly think if you practice enough you can achieve that score of 127
So I'm a senior now, about to graduate. I've been in this program all four years and still am. But sometimes the med school gives an option to program students to take an interview rather than to take a third MCAT (when applicable) BEFORE graduating (usually happens Spring of senior year). This is to avoid having three bad MCAT scores in the case that I have to apply for my first ever cycle, which would be this summer/fall. But, yes, I share some skepticism with you regarding the validity of this interview chance. Thanks for you input and high spirits.

So I'm a senior now, about to graduate. I've been in this program all four years and still am. But sometimes the med school gives an option to program students to take an interview rather than to take a third MCAT (when applicable) BEFORE graduating (usually happens Spring of senior year). This is to avoid having three bad MCAT scores in the case that I have to apply for my first ever cycle, which would be this summer/fall. But, yes, I share some skepticism with you regarding the validity of this interview chance. Thanks for you input and high spirits.
that last sentence sounds sarcastic to me lol. it's not. truly thank you and hope I cleared it up for you

Ahhh, so this would be you interviewing at the same school as the program you’re in? But if they don’t accept you after the interview you then you’re out of the program?

Ahhh, so this would be you interviewing at the same school as the program you’re in? But if they don’t accept you after the interview you then you’re out of the program?
correct. I like the interview option because it saves my first and only 513 MCAT which isn't great but not bad. If I do the June MCAT and so on, I could possibly have two or even three 511 to 515 MCAT scores, which would look bad. On the other hand, how legit could this interview be...

correct. I like the interview option because it saves my first and only 513 MCAT which isn't great but not bad. If I do the June MCAT and so on, I could possibly have two or even three 511 to 515 MCAT scores, which would look bad. On the other hand, how legit could this interview be...

Ahhhhh I see. Well that changes things for me. I feel like you should go for broke with the interview and if they don’t accept you then screw them and just apply next year. I think they’ll probably accept you if you’ve been told the seat is pretty much yours to lose.

Take the interview and spend all your time between now and then having good answers to the typical interview questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, etc.). Don’t script your answers, but rather make sure they won’t ask you a simple question that you’re unable to answer. I think as long as you come across personable and passionate about medicine they’ll accept you. They wouldn’t have have this system in place of interviewing people in the program if they weren’t hoping to still accept you.

Did anyone else had same issue in the past at your school? My guess is they will clear you after the interview. Focus on that for now.

Did anyone else had same issue in the past at your school? My guess is they will clear you after the interview. Focus on that for now.
What does that mean, "they will clear you"??

Well as far as a pandemic preventing us from taking our three tests, legally binding, this has never happened. But actually students in the past couple years (this interview offer only started recently) have almost always been admitted following an interview. The unprecedented part is that I've only taken the MCAT once, whereas everyone else in the history of the program who received the interview offer had taken it twice (failed twice).

What does that mean, "they will clear you"??

Well as far as a pandemic preventing us from taking our three tests, legally binding, this has never happened. But actually students in the past couple years (this interview offer only started recently) have almost always been admitted following an interview. The unprecedented part is that I've only taken the MCAT once, whereas everyone else in the history of the program who received the interview offer had taken it twice (failed twice).
My guess is they will admit you after the interview since you are off by 1 point only and given the circumstances they don't want to look harsh. I am not an adcom so don't put too much into what I say.

OP

You should go with the interview but you must prepare well. Is there someone who can take you through some mock interviews?

Don’t retake the MCAT unless you are scoring at or above your previous section scores on all sections.

OP

You should go with the interview but you must prepare well. Is there someone who can take you through some mock interviews?

Don’t retake the MCAT unless you are scoring at or above your previous section scores on all sections.
Mock interviews? no... I guess I have my friends, and also past students who have done the interview before who were once in my shoes for advice. Other than that, I'm relying on youtube videos, articles, and the likes

Mock interviews? no... I guess I have my friends, and also past students who have done the interview before who were once in my shoes for advice. Other than that, I'm relying on youtube videos, articles, and the likes

If you don't think a mock will help you then don't do it, but it might

Take the interview. Ask your peers from your program who already got accepted through your guaranteed admission track for insight on the interview. As for Skype/video interviews, there's a lot now posted on this online, and I just suggest to give yourself a little more pause time between question and answer. You see how news people are handling interviews through Skype or Zoom nowadays.

Take the interview. It's honestly reckless of them to suggest you retake a 513 just for their program anyway; as you mentioned, unless you score 515+ and don't score anything less in the subsections than you did the first time, it is a detriment to re-take the MCAT for all other schools you could apply to and would certainly get into.

Some adcoms have even suggested that people who retake types of scores such as yours reflects poorly on one's application as if that person potentially lacks in judgement. You definitely do not want to have to catch yourself explaining this particular situation, just extra unnecessary fluff.

Take the interview, hope you get in that way. If they reject you, after all this, frankly, you don't want to be at that kind of program anyway. It reeks of freaking nightmare for what potentially the actual med students are going through. If you have deep connections with this program, have rapport with admins, and they're holding you up over 1 CARS point/reject you after trying to force you to take another MCAT for that 1 point, I can't even begin to imagine the kind of cutthroat hell they put their current students through.

Best of luck to you, this seems like an easy choice.

So, I just chose to focus primarily on my schoolwork than extracurriculars.

School List:
All SUNYs
Temple
Drexel
Both Rutgers
Jefferson
I'd really like a general list of schools for me to look at within my range, both MD and DO, or even a link to a post that I could refer to someone who asked the same question with similar application strength.
Concerning the bolded, your ECs aren't that bad. Keep engaging in the Meal son Wheel;s and anything else that you can do for service to others. No more shadowing and no research.

Forget Rutgers unless you're going to school in NJ.

I suggest:
Rochester
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
ALL SUNYs
Nova MD
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

IF you don't get any love by October, add some DO schools. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Concerning the bolded, your ECs aren't that bad. Keep engaging in the Meal son Wheel;s and anything else that you can do for service to others. No more shadowing and no research.

Forget Rutgers unless you're going to school in NJ.

I suggest:
Rochester
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rosy Franklin
Wayne State
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Seton Hall
ALL SUNYs
Nova MD
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

IF you don't get any love by October, add some DO schools. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
thanks for the thorough list and comments

I would do as under.
  1. Take the interview with good preperation (take extra caution even you are confident), hopefully you retain in same program.
  2. You didn't pass interview hurdle, take a gap year, muscle up your ECs and apply 2021 cycle, no need to retake MCAT.

Thanks everyone for the advice, couldn't have gotten this far w.o the help. Just had my interview yesterday. Went as well as it could have gone in my opinion. Hopefully my app is holistically strong enough to get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for the advice, couldn't have gotten this far w.o the help. Just had my interview yesterday. Went as well as it could have gone in my opinion. Hopefully my app is holistically strong enough to get in.

My money is on you getting in.

I'm sure you killed it! Let us know what you hear!

Wow, this thread is like a soap opera and it is leaving me wanting more! I hope that you get in. Just remember, you will be good next cycle if you don't!

Guys, thank you so much for all your help and guidance. Couldn't have made these last few weeks without all ya. I was just offered a seat this past evening. More relieved than excited... Thanks again for all your help. Glad we could close this case.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Guys, thank you so much for all your help and guidance. Couldn't have made these last few weeks without all ya. I was just offered a seat this past evening. More relieved than excited... Thanks again for all your help. Glad we could close this case.
hell yeah baby

Congrats! Glad to here that it worked out.

So awesome, congrats! Glad they helped you out! That CARS score was so borderline lol I was going to be mad if they didn't accept you just because of that!

• Love

You are deserving. One point on a standardized test should never be allowed to alter the course of someone’s life.

• Love