MD WAMC? Guidance and support for anxious MD hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmgCops25

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!
I've been a lurker on SDN for several years but only committed now to actually posting. Reasoning, this site just does not sit well with my anxiety and it gets me all tense and nervous. But i'm here, i'm on the last road to applying and want to know your honest thoughts on WAMC.. so here goes nothing.

-First off, I just graduated in August 2016 with a degree in Biomedical Sciences
-Im applying this coming cycle for class of 2022, making it 2 gap years [ reasons to be explained below]
-Florida resident looking to apply to MD schools in Florida, possible some abroad. DO if i feel like I want to increase my chances by throwing a wider net
-I am a Dominican male, which I think makes me a URM possibly? I keep hearing about it only applies to those from Puerto Rico but idk.

GPA
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.5

Regarding my borderline GPA, this has always been the reason why I lack confidence in my application. My advisers were the ones to point this out to me after finish my freshman year with a 2.9 GPA. My eexplanation for this poor start is well, controversial to talk about. My transitioning into college was rough. I suffered from serious Depression and Anxiety that well took time for me to first realize, then to break it to my family ( difficult since they don't believe in mental illness), and then finally find the right medication for me ( which i if anyone knows, can take months)
This period of my life was very difficult. An obstacle that I might talk about on my PS if i can make it sound not too preachy or an excuse.
Subjects during this time that I always thought were fun and interesting became hard and really tested my discipline, study habits, and concentration, which if i was being honest were not perfect to begin with.

Overall my freshman year was poor, sophomore year was better. Junior and Senior year i hit my stride and finished with 4.0 in both years.
I really hope that my strong upward GPA is considered. Even with my performance in the last years, my GPA barely moved :/

SMP was not considered due to
- it being expensive
- seems as if it's just a repetition of medical classes, and success is not guaranteed
- my GPA barely meets the cutoff of 3.5 which is what some say is needed for medical school.

Overall: 2 C's, 1 F [ history], 1 W, 2 retakes which i got A's in [ including the F]....
So I did decent in pre-reqs and destroyed the upper level classwork.
Again, all due to my situation given above^

___

MCAT: studying now for a March 31st date and scoring 505+ on FLs.
aiming for 512+

___

EC:
-Clinical Volunteering : 200+ hours as a Spanish translator at a clinic for those without health insurance. Really loving it

-Non-Clinical Volunteering : 15 ~ Give Kids the World
~30, local MSL club [ it was fun and something i enjoyed doing for free for big game days]

-Shadowing: 100 + with various professionals in the USA and abroad!
-Sports: 1 year in a tennis club as C-String. Played in tournaments all over Florida
-Academic: Physiology TA for 1 semester. Something i did for the love of the subject and teaching.
-Leadership: 2 semesters as an Academic Director of a Pre-Medical club.

RESEARCH: none...... [ enter excuse here]

_____

I am also currently a ED scribe and really loving the experience now in my gap year. I've been doing it for 3 months at this location near my place.
And over my Sophmore break I did another 2 months at another location [ just a summer job]
5 months total

___

In terms of the timing of my application it really came down to 2 things.
1 - a strong application and 2- finances

-I wanted to make sure that my Senior year was considered into my application so that they can see that I can be successful at the hard-sciences.
-I needed to start working and paying off debts. My parents aren't going to pay for my MCAT, application cycle, or living as of my graduation or when/if i start medical school.

____

That's my entire history right there^
I hope it all reflects my true desire to be a medical professional.

I hope to hear back from the people of SDN their real thoughts on my app and what I can do between now and ~June 1st when the cycle starts.
Constructive criticism highly appreciated (i need the brutal truth. I tend to avoid it. I'd like to hear it now.)
Mentor wanted the most.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Concentrate on doing well on the MCAT. If you score 508 or higher your chances for a MD acceptance are in the 80% range. Your best chances will be at the Florida MD schools so apply to all of them but include some OOS private schools such as Creighton, Loyola, St. Louis, Georgetown, New York Medical College, GW, Quinnipiac. If you score less than 508 then also apply to several DO schools including the 2 in Florida.