WAMC - IL resident; Applying this cycle; 3.0 undergrad, 3.7 post bacc, 3.5 SMP; upward trend and 508 MCAT with low CARS subsection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontraditional; 4 yrs out of college
3.0 ish undergrad GPA
3.7 post bacc GPA
3.53 SMP at Georgetown
508 mcat - 127/122 FML/129/130
2000 clinical hrs at least
700+ volunteers hours - mixed clinical and nonprofit work
LOR from research professor, nonprofit tutor volunteering org, committee letter, SMP letter, a clinical letter from scribing, 2 science professors
350 hrs research - no pub but have LOR
1 published case report

Filtering schools based on low MCAT first on MSAR - will apply there. Will be applying in state schools - UIC, Rush, Loyola, unsure about RFU

Just looking for suggestions on schools that are holistic / if I should retake my MCAT (as a non-trad, another year of waiting just kills me I'm turning old just waiting to get into medical school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
applying this cycle and just got my score back so haven't been able to discuss the mcat score, specifically with the low cars subsection. just want to know whether it is worth me applying this cycle. bummed that the one section may kill my chances if i apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cumulative AMCAS - 3.2
AMCAS sGPA total - 3.34; I studied statistics in college so many courses in math are from undergrad in higher level math which I didn't do so well on. Otherwise, my post bacc as a nontraditional career changer student focusing on science courses is 3.7 itself

You could receive MD interviews but your best chances are at DO schools. You could try these MD schools:
UIC
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
NYIT (all schools)
NOVA DO
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY

Got it. Thank you. I am leaning towards applying only MD as that is my focus after all this work as a nontrad. And if no luck, will retake and reapply both MD and DO (with a much better CARS score)

Got it. Thank you. I am leaning towards applying only MD as that is my focus after all this work as a nontrad. And if no luck, will retake and reapply both MD and DO (with a much better CARS score)
This is one of those rare occasions where I have to disagree with my wife's calling Faha.

That 122 score on the MCAT is going to be really harmful. A 508 for a reinventor is also not very good at all.

Your best chance for MD will be with your state school. And your best chance to be a doctor will be with the DO schools, as beggars can't be choosy.

Reactions: 1 user
The discrepancy underscores an answer to my questions:
Where are you applying? How much help did your SMP give you on your lists or any feedback about applying? Please follow the template.
It is very important for me to know how your SMP director is going to support your application because I'm not really sure if they are going to be more like @Faha or @Goro. It would be good to know if they are supportive in your program letter of evaluation.

@Mr.Smile12 Based on our conversation today, my SMP letter will be written in the same manner as before since my other scores were 127, 129, 130. However, I did my SMP at Georgetown and they highly favor subsections above 125. That being said, @Goro I am willing to retake my MCAT. I am thinking of applying to only some MDs which are either IS for me or favorable towards nontraditional students this year and I will retake the MCAT in January to apply next year broadly to both MDs and DOs - I think my application would fare much better if I can at least get to a 127 for CARS. I am afraid that if I apply broadly just to DO this year, I may get into a DO school but my work and efforts as a career changer will be negated by my low CARS when it comes to any of the MD schools.

Are your Post Bacc grades included in your uGPA? How many hours did you take in your post bacc?What is your sGPA? Do you get an automatic interview from Geaorgetown?

My BCPM GPA with post bacc is 3.3 including grades from undergrad as I did statistics and that is included in the math section - did not do so well on some classes which is why there is a jump from 3.3 total sGPA to 3.7 sGPA for just post bacc. The Georgetown interview is not guaranteed and with my CARS, I do not have high hopes for the school as they consider under 125 to be "non-competitive". In state schools and those favoring nontrads seem more realistic for me. 32 hours post bacc and a full SMP.

Reactions: 1 users
My BCPM GPA with post bacc is 3.3 including grades from undergrad as I did statistics and that is included in the math section - did not do so well on some classes which is why there is a jump from 3.3 total sGPA to 3.7 sGPA for just post bacc. The Georgetown interview is not guaranteed and with my CARS, I do not have high hopes for the school as they consider under 125 to be "non-competitive". In state schools and those favoring nontrads seem more realistic for me. 32 hours post bacc and a full SMP.
My take on the Georgetown SMP is that they are not so friendly to their own graduates when it comes to applying to the medical school

Reactions: 2 users
My take on the Georgetown SMP is that they are not so friendly to their own graduates when it comes to applying to the medical school
Agreed pretty hit or miss

• Care