WAMC: international asian reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

randommdstudent

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. AAMC GPA:
cGPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.90

2; MCAT:
523 (131, 130, 132, 130)

3. State of residence or country of citizenship:
international student, CA for college, MA for work

4. Ethnicity and/or race:
east asian

5. Undergraduate institution or category:
T20 UC school in CA

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
volunteer: 368 hours
paid: 0 for now, projected 2000 during gap year

7. Research experience and productivity:
educational research: 950 hours, 3 presentations
social psych research: 100 hours currently, projected additional 120 hours

8. Shadowing
110 hours across geriatrics, thoracic surgery, and gastroenterology

9. non clinical volunteering:
volunteer teaching assistant for 1 year

10. Gap year activity:
clinical research (which is the paid clinical experience I'm talking about for 6): projected 2000 hours

11. Anything else:
I want to get involved in medical education, so I have spent time in education from a research perspective (educational research in 7) and teaching perspective. In terms of teaching, I have 1,000 hours of experience in total.
 
What exactly is your clinical experience? You need to have relevant non-clinical volunteering as well, and teaching doesn’t usually fit that expectation.

My clinical experience is basically hospital volunteering
My non clinical volunteering is tutoring high school students, which I classed as teaching
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Boston University
Case Western
Duke
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Stanford
TCU
Tulane
UCLA
Colorado
U Illinois
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Wayne State
Yale
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
 
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Boston University
Case Western
Duke
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Stanford
TCU
Tulane
UCLA
Colorado
U Illinois
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Wayne State
Yale
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
I will also apply to DO schools this time. Thank you for your advice!
 
As a reapplicant, how have you significantly improved your application over your first cycle? When was your first cycle?
You have no nonclinical volunteering at all. It is not a good idea to reapply without building at least 150+ hours of service to unserved/underserved people in your community. This can be the homeless, hungry, immigrants and others in serious need of help.