WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dentalfairy12828

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind Penn, Harvard, and Columbia are top schools in country (UF is selective for OOS students). Even with your stats there aren’t any guarantees. I would throw in Rutgers, recommend subbing out Nova/UF (ties to Florida??) for Case Western/Temple/Boston/ as I don’t see ties to Florida being in the east coast(unless you do) Maryland is good, maybe get UBuffalo on the list too, you can get instate tuition after one year.

Minus the top 3, maybe 5-6 additional schools with 9 schools total should be fine (2-3 safety’s, 2-4 in range, 2-3 reaches). Just want to make sure you have some safety’s and In-range schools. You have the stats for top schools but admissions can be weird, so best to cover the spread. Having a 19 in bio while being a bio major isn’t a huge concern, and I honestly doubt admissions would be that put off. I had a 19 too, being a Biochem major, and not once was it asked in my interviews. So I really wouldn’t worry too much.

Overall, a very strong app. I would just make sure you get your school list finalized and to not make it super top heavy (you only have 1 safety on your current list)

Suggested information to include when creating a WAMC thread are as follows:

Date of submission: Planning on May 30, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.90
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA/ 22 TS/ 23 PAT/ 23 QR/ 26 RC/ 19 BIO (sad)/ 27 GC/ 25 OC
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: :)
Major: Bio
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: about 150 hours (majority in general, had 10-20 in ortho, oral surgery, pedo, and perio, respectively)
Volunteering Experience: about 150 hours (Breast Cancer Awareness fundraiser every October for the full month, environmental clean-up)
Employment: just started training for ortho assistant all summer and next year for my gap year
Research: 100 hours, literature-based research on dentine regeneration, published (1)
Other Extracurriculars: secretary of dental club, treasurer for VAW dental, chemistry tutor, sorority
Relevant Honors or Awards: honors college, scholarship all 3 years of college
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (very strong), 1 tutor advisor (very strong), 1 professor (decent), 1 research leader/ professor (very strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: graduated in 3 years (not sure this matters), red flag= my major is bio and that was my worst section? maybe

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

UPENN
Columbia
Harvard
UF
NOVA
Maryland
OSU
please take off nova
how come no rutgers?

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure your research is enough to move the needle at the Ivy's (100 hours but 1 lit review pub). You should see what other current students have done with respect to research before starting dental school. I get you probably want to get to Harvard, Penn, and Columbia, but I need to know better if you fit their culture.

However, I will agree your list isn't really smart when it comes to your odds. You should have Rutgers. You should include Temple (the other Philly school). I think VCU should be added if you have Maryland on your list. You could consider SUNY too (not that far from metro NYC). That's four schools to replace the Ivies (need more service to urban underserved communities in your community service activities). OSU makes sense if you want to network across Ohio for your career (though not completely necessary... it's their mission). Just thoughts to substitute or add...

Yeah, I'd add BU and Tufts if you are really angling for Boston. Otherwise UNE if you want more rural health, but I can't tell if you really have a good app for that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure your research is enough to move the needle at the Ivy's (100 hours but 1 lit review pub). You should see what other current students have done with respect to research before starting dental school. I get you probably want to get to Harvard, Penn, and Columbia, but I need to know better if you fit their culture.

However, I will agree your list isn't really smart when it comes to your odds. You should have Rutgers. You should include Temple (the other Philly school). I think VCU should be added if you have Maryland on your list. You could consider SUNY too (not that far from metro NYC). That's four schools to replace the Ivies (need more service to urban underserved communities in your community service activities). OSU makes sense if you want to network across Ohio for your career (though not completely necessary... it's their mission). Just thoughts to substitute or add...

Yeah, I'd add BU and Tufts if you are really angling for Boston. Otherwise UNE if you want more rural health, but I can't tell if you really have a good app for that.
thanks for the reply! I can't apply to Rutgers, as I have ap credits. my sister also goes there and the management isn't ideal and my parents won't let me apply.

Just keep in mind Penn, Harvard, and Columbia are top schools in country (UF is selective for OOS students). Even with your stats there aren’t any guarantees. I would throw in Rutgers, recommend subbing out Nova/UF (ties to Florida??) for Case Western/Temple/Boston/ as I don’t see ties to Florida being in the east coast(unless you do) Maryland is good, maybe get UBuffalo on the list too, you can get instate tuition after one year.

Minus the top 3, maybe 5-6 additional schools with 9 schools total should be fine (2-3 safety’s, 2-4 in range, 2-3 reaches). Just want to make sure you have some safety’s and In-range schools. You have the stats for top schools but admissions can be weird, so best to cover the spread. Having a 19 in bio while being a bio major isn’t a huge concern, and I honestly doubt admissions would be that put off. I had a 19 too, being a Biochem major, and not once was it asked in my interviews. So I really wouldn’t worry too much.

Overall, a very strong app. I would just make sure you get your school list finalized and to not make it super top heavy (you only have 1 safety on your current list)
thanks for the reply! I figured UF is somewhat of a throw away, but I'm looking to move to down there/ practice there so the Florida schools are worth a shot in my opinion. definitely adding some more 'safeties'. :) a lot of my family is in Florida too!

Reactions: 1 user
why take off nova? -- no Rutgers due to ap credit used and a lack of love/ passion for the school
nova has had issues in the past
plus, stats are too high for nova
you would likely get yield managed...

thanks for the reply! I can't apply to Rutgers, as I have ap credits. my sister also goes there and the management isn't ideal and my parents won't let me apply.
what kind of issues at rutgers?

what kind of issues at rutgers?
unresponsive, giving incorrect information, strikes, giving wrongful refunds and asking for them back weeks later... the list goes on. not particularly keen on being at a New Jersey school either as the town rubs me the wrong way

unresponsive, giving incorrect information, strikes, giving wrongful refunds and asking for them back weeks later... the list goes on. not particularly keen on being at a New Jersey school either as the town rubs me the wrong way
strikes? staff or students?
:0

issues regarding yield managing? or are you referring to something else? lmk!
no, there was an issue with sterilization a while back
and also the faculty/staff were muzzling students on social media
you should be able to search this forum for details
actually, the sterilization thing made it into the media...

Status
Not open for further replies.